8th July 2014, 03:51 PM
Unregistered

What steps should I follow to appear in TOEFL? When should I appear?

hi
i am really in a fix regarding when to appear for the toefl exams..i seriously want to sit for it and am in dire need of your guidance and valuable advices..so please help me concretize my most cherished dream by laying before me the apt path to tread on as the initial step.requeting you to be my pathfinder.plz rply me

8th August 2014, 09:37 AM
SudeepKumarSaha
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What steps should I follow to appear in TOEFL? When should I appear?

There is no need to worry as long as this platform is present. We will definitely help you out with all your doubts and provide the most suited suggestion for you.

- The first step to TOEFL is decide the location of your test. The test is organized by TOEFLiBT. Click here for details about TOEFL-iBT.

- All four language skills-reading, listening, speaking and writing will be assessed in TOEFL exam.

- Reading
60–100 minutes
The tasks primarily assess your performance as you read the passages
1. To effectively scan the text for key facts and important information
2. With increasing fluency and rate
3. Comprehending main idea (s) to state implied inferences
4. To learn its organisation and purpose
5. To understand relationships between ideas

- Listening
60–90 minutes
To measures test-taker’s ability in understanding spoken English as it is used in educational institutes. The tasks are based on listening to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations based on which you are assessed for:
1. Comprehending the main idea, important points and details
2. Pragmatic understanding wherein you recognise the speaker’s attitude and purpose
3. Connecting and synthesizing information

-Speaking
20 minutes.
The section assesses your ability to speak English in the manner you would usually speak in colleges and universities. You get to know how well you have developed your topic and delivered your message (with own ideas & experiences) in English.

-Writing
30 minutes
The section measures your ability to write in a way that is appropriate in an academic setting for understanding the course work. It is a function of how well you have integrated writing task for development, organisation, grammar, accuracy vocabulary and its completeness.

- You need to read newspapers, magazines, wikipedia and news websites to improve reading skills.
- For writing, you can read articles and blogs and write summaries of that.
- For speaking, try to speak in English as much as possible in daily life.
- For listening, you should listen to podcasts and recorded lectures.
- Try solving the sample papers and you can enroll in coaching institutes for better preparation.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?