4th August 2020, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

After which all Graduate degree courses one can write the GATE examination?

Can I appear for GATE examination after completion of my B.Sc in Biotechnology degree course? Which all Graduate degree disciplines are acceptable for GATE? And, how can I use the GATE score?

11th August 2020, 12:20 PM
Sandya Satla

Smile Re: After which all Graduate degree courses one can write the GATE examination?

Hi,
I’m a postgraduate in Biotechnology. I have cleared GATE BIOTECHNOLOGY-2020. So to the best of my knowledge I can answer your question as,

1. Eligibility Criteria

In General B.Sc. students aren’t eligible to appear for GATE. B.Sc. students should have to pursue Master’s to be eligible for GATE. When in the final year of Master’s or after the completion of Master’s, they can appear for GATE. (This follows the eligibility criteria formula 10+2+4).

But, this year (2021) Eligibility Criteria for GATE-2021 has been relaxed from the 10+2+4 (ongoing) to 10+2+3 (ongoing), which means that students who are in the final year or who have completed their 3 year undergraduate degree (B.Sc. / B.A / B.Com) are eligible to appear for GATE.

2. The Qualifying Degree’s for GATE-2021 include,

B.E. / B.Tech. /B.Pharm.
B.Arch.
M.B.B.S.
Pharm.D. (after 10+2)
M.Sc. / MCA / M.A or equivalent
Int. M.E./ M.Tech. (Post-B.Sc.)
Int. M.E./ M.Tech. or Dual Degree ( after diploma or 10 + 2)
B.Sc. / B.A. / B.Com.
B.Sc. (Research) / B.S.
Int. M.Sc. / Int. B.S. / M.S.

3. GATE SCORE help you to land in Jobs or to pursue Higher Degree’s.

In viewpoint of B.Sc. Biotechnology student-

a. When you attend interviews for private companies (Pharma, Biotech), GATE SCORE helps you to stand in the competition a step ahead. But there is no company that directly recruit you through your GATE SCORE. In case if you have a GATE SCORE it may be a plus.

b. The best option with GATE SCORE is to do PhD. If you top GATE exam you can do PhD in top IITs, NITs, IISERs & IISc. If you clear GATE with not some good score, then also you can do PhD in some institutions (few IITs, NITs, Research Institutes etc.) where they ask GATE SCORE as minimum eligibility criteria.

c. One can also do PhD through Prime Minister’s Research Fellowship (PMRF) scheme. This is for Merit students who have 8 CGPA in their qualifying degree & a GATE SCORE of 650. The main difference between entry through GATE and PMRF is stipend. One who gets PMRF will get a monthly stipend of INR 70,000(for 1st 2 years) , INR 75,000 (for 3rd year) & INR 80,000 (for 4th & 5th years) & one who joins PhD through GATE will get a monthly stipend of INR 25,000 (for 1st two years) & INR 28,000 (for next 3 years ).

NOTE- GATE committee doesn’t assure any of the employment opportunities & it is also not an admission ensuring examination. It only depends on the recruiting institute & admitting institute’s criteria respectively. Such institutions may conduct written tests & interviews for final selection.

In simple, GATE is the key to open a door. Make sure you open the right door…!!!

Thank you & Good Luck…!!!!!
12th August 2020, 03:03 PM
vanisunshine.vani
Senior Member++

Default Re: After which all Graduate degree courses one can write the GATE examination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can I appear for GATE examination after completion of my B.Sc in Biotechnology degree course? Which all Graduate degree disciplines are acceptable for GATE? And, how can I use the GATE score?
With the valid GATE score card
-You can pursue higher studies or
-If you want to pursue higher study from foreign universities like Singapore ,
then a valid GATE score will help you to fulfill your dream
-You can get chunk of good job opportunities from many reputed companies.
-These days many PSUs like BHEL, IOCL, ONGC, SAIL, NTPC, HPCL, PGCIL,
BARC are hiring candidates with good GATE scores.
-If you can get an opportunity to work with pre-eminent government bodies like
DRDO, ISRO, BARC, Doordarshan, IAF, INDIAN NAVY and Army etc, then a
good GATE score will make you eligible for their sponsorship programs.
-You can even opt for teaching field specially for IIT,FIT-JEE, T.I.M.E , NEET,
JEE etc
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?