22nd June 2010, 06:38 PM
dj.03chem

Does work experience count in CAT exams? How to prepare to get into IIM-A?

dear sir,

i have done my M.Sc. (Organic) Chemistry in 2008 from North Gujarat University with B+ (56.00%)Grade and continue i am working with castrol india ltd. as a team member of quality control and already having one year reaserch experienced in pharmaceutical company as a R&D Chemist, i want to do my MBA in IIMA only, so how can i get in tell me about GD/PI good reffrence book minimum time required for preparation with full time job,
and exp. candidate will get any advantage to get in, and educational background observe by IIMA Body or not, hoping kind reply.

regards
dhaval Joshi
+91 9427289667

22nd June 2010, 09:12 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Does work experience count in CAT exams? Howto prepare to get into IIM-A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj.03chem View Post
dear sir,

i have done my M.Sc. (Organic) Chemistry in 2008 from North Gujarat University with B+ (56.00%)Grade and continue i am working with castrol india ltd. as a team member of quality control and already having one year reaserch experienced in pharmaceutical company as a R&D Chemist, i want to do my MBA in IIMA only, so how can i get in tell me about GD/PI good reffrence book minimum time required for preparation with full time job,
and exp. candidate will get any advantage to get in, and educational background observe by IIMA Body or not, hoping kind reply.

regards
dhaval Joshi
+91 9427289667
Dhaval it is nice to know that you are ambitious and want to do your MBA from IIM-A only. If you want to get into IIM-A or for that matter any of the 8 IIM's you have to appear for the all India level CAT exam. There are various sections in CAT and you have to score really well in all the sections. You will have to get a score of approximately more than 98 per centile if you have to get a call from IIM-A. Once you get the call then you will have to appear for a GD and Interview. During that process weightage is definitely given to your work experience. Weightage is also given to your marks in the graduation. If you really want to crack CAT and get into IIM's a minimum 1 year of preparation is needed. You can probably join a good coaching institute which offers weekend programs (as you are presently working) and rest you can work at home.
22nd June 2010, 10:36 PM
August
Senior Member+

Default Re: Does work experience count in CAT exams? Howto prepare to get into IIM-A?

dear frnd

CAT is an entrance xam to get admitted to any management institute

it is not a company which will give preference to the experience holder.

to get admitted to any IIM UR PERCENTILE of result of CAT should be around 98.

to get that good score u have to work hard with technique

u have to concentrate on the following things

1.time management

for this u have to practice alot of solved papers

2.all the sections like QUANTITATIVE APTITUTE,DI,LOGICAL REASONING,VERBAL REASONONG should be thouroughly revised.

it will be if u take training under a coaching centre.

they will provide u a lot of sample papers 4 practice

u will also learn tachniques how to answer quickly.

best of luck
22nd June 2010, 11:18 PM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

Yes definitely you will surely get an extra advantage over others if you are experienced or if you have done a job for minimum 2 year job.

So you will have to appear for entrance test CAT if you want to go for IIM A. Its a tough job to get into IIM A. As the competition is very high for it. You will need a percentile of 99+ if you want to get into IIM A

and How to prepare for CAT. Better join some good coaching for CAT like IMS,TIME and others. This will help you to adjust with the preparations fast. If you will do self study then you will take time to adjust yourself but the point here is that you wont find much time to adjust as you will have to prepare better than others.

So join coaching and minimum 6 months preparations for CAT is necessary
29th June 2010, 09:51 PM
sital

dear friend,
working experience matters but little bit.
To get admission to IIM you have to clear CAT entrance exam with good percentile and then you have to face general discussion and personnel interview.
30th June 2010, 12:38 AM
Senior Member+++

dear friend,
working experience matters but little bit.
To get admission to IIM you have to clear CAT entrance exam with good percentile and then you have to face general discussion and personnel interview.
3rd July 2010, 10:00 AM
Unregistered

can anyone be selected to iim after engineering without work experience
5th July 2010, 04:53 AM
Unregistered

can sumbdy tel me dat which kind of work xperience s counted in iims?i mean govt.or private
5th July 2010, 07:56 AM
Unregistered

Hi frnds, am new to this website, plz suggest me reguarding CAT exam,
Am persuing BA 2nd year, before BA i have one year experiance as a Instructor in computer center and one year private teaching. will this experiance count while getting through CAT.
Which is the best CAT coaching classes(w.r.t material and faculty) for CAT preperations plz suggest ....... I really want to get admission is top MBA colleges(IIM's)
Plz mail your reply @ : [email protected]
Thanks a lot...
17th July 2010, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

I AM PRESENTLY BA FIRST YEAR STUDENT AT IT COLLEGE, LUCKNOW UNIVERSITY. CAN I APPLY FOR CAT AND IS WORK EXPERIENCE NECCESSARY TO GET THROUGH A GOOD IIM AND IF YES WHAT KIND OF WORK EXPERIENCE AFTER BA??
14th August 2010, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

plz tell me does teaching work ex count for cat
15th August 2010, 04:54 PM
ansh_ansh
Senior Member++++

Its a tough job to get into IIM A.

As the competition is very high for it.

You will need a percentile of 99 if you want to get into IIM A

.If you will do self study then you will take time to adjust yourself but the point

here is that you wont find much time to adjust as you will have to prepare better than

others.
16th August 2010, 02:18 AM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

Yes definately expericed CAT aspirants do get a due advantage over other freshers. Its mentioned somewhere in the CAT brochure too.

So give it a try and for CAT let me tell you if you wanna get into IIM A then you must burn your midnight oils as these days the seats are less and the no of students are so many

Better take up some coaching nearby and study hard
16th August 2010, 02:55 AM
Raj333

dear frnd,
work experience is counted everywhere if u have a work experience then u get better opportunity to taking job................................
for taking admission in IIM u r giving the cat exam.for cracking cat exam u take coaching or u r going with cat study material...............
best of luck.
16th August 2010, 10:45 AM
jiyaa

Default Re: Does work experience count in CAT exams? How to prepare to get into IIM-A?

dear student,
yes work expeirence definetly matter in gd & PI section and you will have advantage over others.since it is the toughest exam in india so keep doing hard labour.have a great future ahead.
best of luck
16th August 2010, 02:41 PM
Adarshxxx
Senior Member+

Default Re: Does work experience count in CAT exams? How to prepare to get into IIM-A?

Dear Sir,
Yes work experience do count bt nt 4 CAT xamz bt for ur job opertunities.nd regarding hw to prepare 4 dis u cn join any coaching institute and start preparing 4 it.
30th August 2010, 02:33 AM
Unregistered

Does teaching experience count for CAT
27th September 2010, 08:12 PM
Unregistered

Dear frnds,
I completed my graduation(btech) this year.I dont have any work experience.Can i appear for CAT2011 without any work experience .
14th October 2010, 06:51 PM
Unregistered

Work experience do counts bcuz ..When u work in an organization you do learn about the team dynamics , time management , deadlines ,etc. HOW TO LEAD THE TEAM WHICH MODULE DEPENDS UPON THE OTHER and other professional ettiquites . So u hav an added advantage over the non- experienced .
21st November 2010, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dear frnds,
I completed my graduation(btech) this year.I dont have any work experience.Can i appear for CAT2011 without any work experience .
Yes u can but u should get very good percentile As you are loosing the weightage of work experience.
Kalyan
21st November 2010, 11:36 PM
Unregistered

hi! i wanted to know if different weightage is given to work ex in different sectors..>>
i hv about 7 months of work ex in journalism.. will that be useful?
22nd November 2010, 10:46 AM
sandipk
Senior Member+

Dear friend,

No, its not required eny job experience for CAT.
But it will give you a better advantage for appering the paper as well as Gd/Pi

TO get addimeted in IIM U have to score proximately 99%
ya it's a very top compitition ,u have to prepaired acordingly
Better you may join better institute for prepairation

all the best....
18th January 2011, 06:57 PM
Unregistered

Sir,
i am currently working as a survey programmer and have aimed to crack cat this year(2011).By the time the results and gdpi dates are announced i would be having 18 months of work experience.So,could you please let me know,how far would my work experience(in the same field) be given advantage if i only have my aim for iima or iimb?
25th January 2011, 12:38 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Re: Does work experience count in CAT exams? How to prepare to get into IIM-A?

Quote:
dear sir,

regards
dhaval Joshi
+91 9427289667
u can never even dream of getting into IIM A with such poor acads...sorry 2 say this mate
14th February 2011, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

DEAR SIR/MAM,,, I am doing my B.Tech 1st year(2nd sem). I have secured 96% in my plus two board. i wanna do my MBA in IIMA oly after completing my degree... ITS my passion aim n dream all sorts to get into that coll and do MBA.so please guide me . how much time is required to prepare for IIMA's cat n those entrance? is it possible for me to understand the syllabus if i start now? is it possible for me to join training centers right now? is three years of preparation is enough for IIMA cat?? please guide me how to get into IIMA..please do help me. and is there anything tat only IITians are prefered? can any one from any college join IIMA? -aasaipriya,chennai
22nd February 2011, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

Hi I completedd my b.tech by 2010 and I am presently working as a product engineer.I want to do my MBA in IIM's for that I need to take coaching.should I continue my job or take continous coaching as I will not have time in evenings and sundays to study.pls give me good suggestion pls..!!
27th February 2011, 02:47 AM
wagle
Senior Member+

hello my dear,
CAT is an entrance xam to get admitted to any management institute

it is not a company which will give preference to the experience holder.

but work expeirence definetly matter in gd & PI section and you will have advantage over others.
ok.
13th April 2011, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Hi ,
I have 15 month work experience in Accenture IT. I have resigned from my job as I want to prepare for CAT. I have been selected in SIBM Pune. However, I wish to pursue MBA from top 5 colleges only. Please solve my dilemma. Should I take up SIBM Pune or prepare for 1 year for CAT exam.
Thanks!
20th April 2011, 02:50 PM
suraj2157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi ,
I have 15 month work experience in Accenture IT. I have resigned from my job as I want to prepare for CAT. I have been selected in SIBM Pune. However, I wish to pursue MBA from top 5 colleges only. Please solve my dilemma. Should I take up SIBM Pune or prepare for 1 year for CAT exam.
Thanks!
if you confident that you will do best in CAT this year than go for it.
otherwise join SIBM.
SIBM is not bad college any day but you can't compare it with top-5.
so, i would like to give advise that prepare for another year and give your best shot.
but, don't give only 1 exam.
also appear for SNAP,XAT etc. exam.
so,if you can't get good score in CAT than you can take admission in other college through this exams.
ALL THE BEST
12th June 2011, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

i had a gap of 3 yrs after 12 non medical. now i am preapering for CAT 2013 with full hardwork and devotion. can gap effect mycarrer and life.
27th July 2011, 12:43 PM
Unregistered

hiiiiiiiii i am jay goivnd kumar and i would like to know what kind of jobs are mainly prefered to get admission in iim's......
.................... plzzzzz suggest me i am very much confused about the job experience
27th July 2011, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

sir, i have completed my b.tech(ece) in 2010 with an aggregate of 70% in 2011 July i have joined as GET in a dredging company my goal is to do MBA from IIM's please suggest me how to prepare for CAT and materials also.
4th August 2011, 02:23 PM
Unregistered

Does work experience count after an IIM mba for getting a good job through IIM campus placements.
27th August 2011, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
dear sir,

regards
dhaval Joshi
+91 9427289667
Bhuli ja bhaibandh........dhandhe lagi ja....bapana...and jo dhandho na hoy to j kare che te j kar.... aagad jaish....
4th September 2011, 06:15 PM
Unregistered

i have done my B.E. with 60% aggregate from PUNE UNIVERSITY....I have job experience of 1 year.....can u plz tell me my chances of getting into IIM's...And also can u plz tell me certificates that will make u more elegible for IIM's....plz reply as soon as possible.....kindly regardss..:/
10th October 2011, 01:04 AM
Unregistered

Hello Sir,
A big dilemma in front of me.
Been 11 months working in TCS. I plan to quit this job completing the year and prepare for CAT
10th October 2011, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

Hello Sir, Iv done B.TECH in Electronics and Communication from Jamia Millia Islamia
A big dilemma in front of me. Been 11 months working in TCS. Two options in front of me right now
1- Continue with job and prepare for CAT the coming year completing work ex of 2 years.
2-Quit the job and strengthen my subjects of economy and politics excellently apart from preparing for CAT which leaves me with work ex of 1 year.
I am more tilted towards the second option as i want to work hard and acquire knowledge instead of getting stuck to job(where actually no active learning is there apart from
secondary learning which definitely happens). Sir, I wish you to reply me asap. Thanx a lot. Mail id- [email protected]
23rd October 2011, 08:28 PM
Unregistered

well after reading all this there are so many questions in my mind so please tell me which are the best coching centers in delhi for iims entrance test ?
21st January 2012, 04:29 AM
Unregistered

hi..

Currently, i have 1 yr of exp in IT (TCS) and i m planning to do MBA after 2yrs exp.

My query is: Will IT exp be of use for MBA, i mean will it b counted as exp for MBA in Finance or Marketing ??

I 'll b waiting for ur reply.. :)

Thnx in Advance..
23rd January 2012, 12:41 AM
suraj2157

Quote:
dear sir,

regards
dhaval Joshi
+91 9427289667
Dude...sorry but its very difficult to get into IIM-A now after the grade Score you have as now IIM-A give weightage to academics as well and there is AR system you have to show them that you are good through out your academics...now only CAT percentile will not assure you the IIM Call....

But,Don't worry there is a life beyond the IIMs...Enjoy and get in to best B-schools....

All the best!
30th January 2012, 09:50 PM
Rapchik007

Yes definitely you will surely get an extra advantage over others if you are experienced or if you have done a job for minimum 2 year job.

So you will have to appear for entrance test CAT if you want to go for IIM A. Its a tough job to get into IIM A. As the competition is very high for it. You will need a percentile of 99+ if you want to get into IIM A

and How to prepare for CAT. Better join some good coaching for CAT like IMS,TIME and others. This will help you to adjust with the preparations fast. If you will do self study then you will take time to adjust yourself but the point here is that you wont find much time to adjust as you will have to prepare better than others.

So join coaching and minimum 6 months preparations for CAT is necessary
23rd February 2012, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

my name is sreenath .iam doing my btech in gitam university 2nd year .i want to crack the cat 2014 and want to study in iim ahmedabad only my 2 years aggregate is 68% only .how can i prepare for my cat in which areas i should be perfect.reply to [email protected]
17th September 2012, 11:21 PM
Unregistered

dear sir,
im a btech 2nd year student studying IT,so i wanted to ask that, is work experience required to get into top iim's?as i immediately want to do mba after i complete my btech.iim's are my dream college and i want to get into them and im ready to work hard.so when should i start preparing for it?i have secured 91%in tenth and 90% in 2. and i have got 8.4 cgpa in 1st year.
anxiously waiting for your reply.
thanking you
26th March 2013, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Which kind of Job exp is required for IIMs?
10th June 2013, 10:16 AM
Unregistered

i completed b.tech in 2004.now i am doing job from 2005 in one mnc company( as senior engineer).now i want to mba in any iim. will it be useful to enhance my career and to reach high positions.some of my friends are joking me what can u pull by doing mba now that too after 10 years of b.tech.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?