1st April 2015, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

What should I study in Graduation after 12th from Commerce to become an IPS Officer?

Respected Sir
I am studying 11th Commerce with Business, Accounts, Statistics, Economics, English and Hindi. I want to become an IPS Officer. So please tell me what I have to study in Graduation so that I can achieve my ambition?

1st April 2015, 08:23 PM
RSJ66
Senior Member++

Default Re: What should I study in Graduation after 12th from Commerce to become an IPS Officer?

# IPS stands for Indian Police Service

# Your concern about your career and keen interest towarda IPS is highly admirable.

# It is high time to start thinking and praparation for IPS Examination.

# You are presently in 11th standard. You have next five years before completion of graduation for the better preparation of IPS examination.

# It is advisable to opt only those subjects in 11th standard which are going to be opted by you in Civil Service Examination in future.

# Presently you are studying commerce and economics. If you opt only these subjects in IPS Examination, you will be comfortable due to have good concepts and familiarity.

# Subjects opted by the candidate in Civil Service Examination entirely decided by candidate itself. So please study only those subjects in graduation in order to consolidate your basic concepts.

# With proper planning, deeply go through the subjects with interest.

# Try to make your own notes and get checked it from your teachers from time to time for necessary correction/deletion/addition.

# Also go to internet for special study on topics which are difficult for you.
1st April 2015, 09:02 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What should I study in Graduation after 12th from Commerce to become an IPS Officer?

I.P.S. stands for Indian Police service. To become an I.P.S. officer you will have to go through civil service examination conducted by Union Public Service Commission once every year .

There is no necessity of a particular stream for eligibility in the same examination.It depends on your own interest towards that stream because the questions will be asked in the examination according to your main subject in your graduation.

So my advice to you that you should go with commerce as your graduation stream because the sudden change in the stream in your graduation can effect you negative way .

The qualifications required for appearing in the same examination are mentioned below:-

You must have citizenship of India.

You must have done your graduation or must be in the final year of same with any of your stream from a recognised university.

Also your age must be within 21 years to 30 years. Also there is the provision of age relaxation for categories other than general as per government rules .

Maximum number of attempts for different category also varies from one category to other.

For more information visit the official website of U.P.S.C. That is www.upsc.gov.in .

At last I would like to suggest you that go for that stream in which you are interested.
1st April 2015, 09:30 PM
Member+

Dear,
Its good to serve for our own country. IPS is Indian police service its examination is conducted by UPSC. to appear for this examination you need to be graduate in any stream and you age must be between 21 to 27 and for those who belongs to any categories then they will get age relaxation.

Best of Luck
1st April 2015, 10:20 PM
sandeepkumar8440

Hello Dear
First of all I would like to tell you one thing. There is no direct entry scheme through which you will be able to join as an IPS officer. To become an IPS officer you must be completed your graduation.
I am very happy to see that you are serious about your career and you know your goal.
Here are few steps which you should follow to become an IPS officer.
# Concentrate on those subject which you want to select for your graduation and after your graduation you want to perform in IPS exam.
#Practice makes a man perfect,so always practice those topics which are important for exam point of views.
#Never give up,You should prepare yourself physically and mentally to compete IPS exam.
#Always keep trying,your success depends upon your dedication and your hard work.

If you have doubts in your mind,never hesitate to ask question to your teachers,Because half knowledge is always dangerous.

Wishing you all the very best for your future.
Good luck ...
God bless you.
1st April 2015, 10:54 PM
secret29
Senior Member+

To become an IPS officer you should go for the graduation in any of the following Subjects listed as below:-->>

1.History
2.Political science.
3.Civics
4.Geography.

Because these all above subject are also in the syllabus of IPS entrance exam.As a result this will help you alot in the exam.
You should start from the first year of your graduation.

The exam patter is given below:-->

There are two phase of this entrance exam and is mainly conducted by UPSC(Union Public service commission).The two phase of this entrance exam is Mains paper and Preliminary paper.

Preliminary examination-conducted during the second half of may.
In the preliminary exam, you will have to write two papers.

1.General studies
2.Optional Paper

SELECTIONS PROCESS:-

The candidates will have to clear his/her Preliminary exam as well as Mains exam and then the candidate will be called for the interview.
1st April 2015, 11:01 PM
kunalroy89

There i no fixed subject for appearing in Civil services exam.One needs to be a graduate to apply.
IPS is not a direct exam.The exam is Civil Services conducted by UPSC.The service offered to candidates are purely on the final rankings and thier choice so specified.
As you would have to appear in the UPSC Mains from your choice of subject,so it would be advisable to select such a subject from your current 12th course in which you have the strongest concepts.In this way during your graduation your strength in that particular subject will increase and thereby helping you in the mains exam of UPSC.
Do not ask others about your choice of subjects.Choose a subject which you find comfortable now and select that for B.Com as well.
All the best
1st April 2015, 11:20 PM
Dharm27
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Respected Sir
I am studying 11th Commerce with Business, Accounts, Statistics, Economics, English and Hindi. I want to become an IPS Officer. So please tell me what I have to study in Graduation so that I can achieve my ambition?

Graduates from any discipline are eligible to apply for the IPS exam.

Indian Police Service (IPS) exam is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission under the Civil Service Examination.

So, if you want to become an IPS officer then, you have to apply for the civil service examination. It is one of the 'A' grade exam across India.

Educational Qualification:

Candidates should possess bachelor degree in any discipline from the recognized university are eligible for this exam. As well as those candidates, who are pursuing in their final year of graduation are also applicable for it.

Age of candidates should be between 21 to 30 years. For OBC category candidates it should be between 21 to 33 years while, for SC/ST it should be between 21 to 35 years.

Candidates must possess nationality of India.

One can apply maximum 4 attempts while, OBC category candidates can apply maximum 7 times. There is no attempt limit for SC/ST category candidates.

Physical Requirement:
  • Height of male candidates >> 165 Cm.
  • Height of female candidates >> 150 Cm.
  • Vision should be 6/6 and 6/9 corrected with glasses.
  • No color blindness.
So, just don't worry take the admission into any graduation course according to your own interest and complete it then, you become eligible for this exam.
1st April 2015, 11:44 PM
sanspeur

Post Re: What should I study in Graduation after 12th from Commerce to become an IPS Officer?

Quote:
Respected Sir
I am studying 11th Commerce with Business, Accounts, Statistics, Economics, English and Hindi..
As I want to become an IPS Officer. So please tell me what I have to study in Graduation so that I can achieve my ambition?
First of all I would like to clear that UPSC do not conduct separate exam for the IPS.
As upsc conduct exam which is civil service exam basis of which qualified students having good rank are secured to the position for IPS.
As IPS stands for Indian police officer services .
As you are from commerce stream I would like to suggest that you should you GI either economics or static hons in your graduation.
It is better to go with eeconomics hons because it cover Your optional as well your GS part further it is also helps in interview.
1st April 2015, 11:51 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

IPS stands for the Indian Police Services. It is one of the Civil Services of India.

Union Public Service Commission is the examination conducting body of India which organises Civil Services examination every year for the different services like:

>>Indian Administrative Services.

>>Indian Police Services.

>>Indian Foreign Services etc.

Eligibility Criteria:

You need to a graduate then only you can apply for this entrance exam. Even in final year of bachelor's degree, you can apply for the exam.

As you have mentioned that you have done 10+2 from commerce stream, so I would suggest you to do your bachelor's degree in Economics as it will help you preparation for optional subjects in Mains examination of Civil Services.

Economics is also important subjects for General Studies Paper.

Your age should be between 21-30 years in order to apply for the exam. OBC and SC/ST candidates get age relaxation of three years and five years respectively.

There are four attempts for general candidates and seven for OBC candidates and no limit for SC/ST candidates.

Make a habit of reading newspaper. Work on basics of aptitude, English Grammar. Listen news channels. Read NCERT books for better concepts of subjects like Geography, History and Political science.

For any more details about this exam, you can visit www.upsc.gov.in
2nd April 2015, 11:23 AM
PRASHANT8149
Senior Member+

You can do any graduation course after 12th class of 3 years or more to apply for IPS exam.

IPS stands for Indian Police Services. To become IPS you have to appear for Civil Service Exam. Civil Service Exam is conducted by Union Public Service Commission every year for recruitment of IPS, IAS, IFS, IRS and other government organisations.

Eligibility Criteria :

Educational Qualification : Candidate must have complete his/her graduation degree from any recognized university in any discipline.

Age limit : Age of candidate must be from 21 to 30 years. Age relaxation is also provided as per government norms. Age relaxation is as follows :
  • For OBC candidates : 3 years
  • For SC/ST Candidates : 5 yeas

Nationality : For IPS candidate must be citizen of India.

Selection Procedure :
  • Preliminary Exam
  • Main Exam
  • Medical and Physical Test

Number of attempts :
  • For General Candidates : 3
  • For OBC Candidates : 7
  • For SC/ST Candidates : No Restriction

For more details just got to http://www.upsc.gov.in

Please find attachment for syllabus.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Civil Service Exam Syllabus.pdf(155.3 KB, 115 views)
2nd April 2015, 12:29 PM
Bramhani chowdary

I really appreciate ur thoughts and concern for ur future. It is a good decision but hardwork is imporatant here. Start preparing now it self. Because cracking IPS is not a simple thing. plz take a look on syllabus and list of optional subjects. Then u get to know what should be ur next step. If u take ur optional subject as ur subject which u have studied in ur degree it will be difficult to memorise all the things at a time when u have exam. Optional paper 1 and 2 will be on same day. If u take ur optional as ur degree subject it may have so many contents which we have studied 3 years or 4 years of ur degree and it will be problem to revise all those things in few hours. So take care when u choose ur optional subject. All the best for ur bright future.
2nd April 2015, 07:51 PM
jxsab
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Respected Sir

You can study your graduation in any stream which you prefer there is no specific stream in which you should be graduated to apply for IPS Exam. The IPS exam is being conducted by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) and is a part of Indian Civil Services.

To appear for the IPS exam there are certain eligibility standards which are needed to be satisfied and they include such as:
  • Nationality
  • Age limit
  • Education qualification
  • Physical Standard

>> Candidate should have a citizenship in India

>> Age limit needed by general category candidate is 21-30 years and there are relaxation for other category candidates.

>> For SC/ST it is 21-35 years and for OBC it is 21-33 years

>> Education qualification needed is candidate should have completed a degree in any stream from a recognized university

>> Candidate should be physically fit.

The candidate who satisfies all these criteria is eligible for applying for the IPS Exam. You choose the best stream which is apt for your future and graduate in it and then apply for the exam.

For more info check at http://www.upsc.gov.in
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?