24th April 2012, 12:59 AM
Unregistered

Will I be able to get a job for MSc Horticulture after getting a degree of BSc Horticulture?

I want to do bsc horticulture from SAM HAGGINBOTTOM AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY, ALLAHABAD which is a deemed university
I have heard that there is a problem in getting job with degrees from deemed university
Plz tell me that will i be able to get a job or go for msc horticulture after getting a degree of bsc horticulture from that university?

12th March 2013, 07:26 PM
divya.gupta2211
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Will I be able to get a job for MSc Horticulture after getting a degree of BSc Horticulture?

i hope this anwer clears your perception for deemed universities.

Deemed university is a status of autonomy granted to high performing institutes and departments of various universities in India. This status of "Deemed-to-be-University", is granted by Department of Higher Education, Union Human Resource Development Ministry, on the advice of the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India, under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission (UGC) Act, 1956.
The UGC began in 1956 after Indian parliament passed the University Grants Commission Act "to make provision for the co-ordination and determination of standards in Universities and for that purpose, to establish a University Grants Commission.''
The deemed university status enables not just full autonomy in setting course work and syllabus of those institutes and research centers, but also allows it to set its own guidelines for the admissions, fees, and instructions to the students.

Universities having deemed university status are known and recognised for good quality education

Job Opportunities in Horticulture:

Horticulture is the mainstream of agriculture. It is an applied science dealing with fruits, vegetables and ornamental flowers. It is an extremely diversified field with nearly unlimited career opportunities in a variety of job settings. A large number of jobs require knowledge and training in horticulture. The level of training could be vocational or at the school/college/KVK level. Generally a good job in horticulture sector requires degree in this discipline. College level education provides more in depth knowledge of the field and offers job opportunities at supervisory or managerial levels while post graduation and doctorate level degree provide very good jobs in the field of horticulture to conduct research or impart teaching. Horticulture is a vast subject in the field of agriculture and it is divided in three major branches :

Floriculturist: Floriculture is a branch of Horticulture, which deals with the study of growing and marketing of flowers and foliage plants. Floriculture includes cultivation of flowering and ornamental plants for sale or for use as raw material in cosmetic and perfume industry or in the pharmaceutical sector. The persons associated with this field are called floriculturists. Floriculturists are specialized in planning and designs of exterior/interior landscapes for parks, recreational areas, campuses, industrial sites, institutional grounds, shopping malls, and other large projects. Generally florists have a sound knowledge of growing cut flowers, bedding plants and potted plants right from production to post harvest management. They are not only well acquainted with design of flower and foliage plant arrangement but also they are well versed in field of care and sell live or dried floral material. Therefore these personnel are in high demand now a days in government agencies, landscape architectural firms, and resorts.

Olericulturist: The study of vegetable culture is called as ‘Olericulture’. Those who perform the activities of vegetable growing are known as olericulturist. Vegetable growing is an important branch of horticulture. It has an immense scope in a vast country like India. Olericulturist can start their career in industry, research institutes, universities and other organizations at various levels. These personnel are more required presently in private sector as the vegetable growers have good future especially in seed industry.

Pomologist: Pomology is one of the branches of horticulture which focuses on the cultivation, production, post harvest, storage, processing and value addition of fruits plants known as the major source of carbohydrates, vitamins, protein and antioxidants. It is a well known fact the fruit industry plays a significant role in many countries economy, making pomology especially vital. One of the most critical aspects of pomology is the development of new hybrid fruit cultivators. Generally pomologists are well acquainted with breeding technology, tissue culture techniques, integrated nutrient management (INM), integrated pest management technique (IPM) and protected cultivation techniques of fruits. They are well versed in transfer of qualitative and quantitative traits specifically desired traits, such as flavor, and disease-resistance. Pomologists future in the industries, ICAR, State agricultural Universities and in other organizations is bright.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?