23rd March 2023, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

Step by step procedure involving all qualification and training to get into Merchant Navy?

I have completed diploma and i want to go in Merchant Navy, tell me the step by step procedure involving all qualification and training, etc. required.

24th March 2023, 02:46 AM
IAmPagal

Default Re: Step by step procedure involving all qualification and training to get into Merchant Navy?

The Merchant Navy is a lucrative career option that allows individuals to work on ships and travel the world while earning a good salary. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to enter the Merchant Navy:

Step 1 - Qualifications:
To join the Merchant Navy, you must have completed 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. If you have completed a diploma in engineering or a degree in science, you are also eligible to apply.

Step 2 - Age Limit:
The age limit for joining the Merchant Navy is between 17.5 to 25 years of age. However, the upper age limit can be relaxed for candidates with prior experience in the Navy.

Step 3 - Eye Sight:
You must have a minimum of 6/6 vision in each eye without glasses or contact lenses. You must also be free from color blindness and have good night vision.

Step 4 - Physical Fitness:
You must be physically fit and meet the medical requirements set by the Merchant Navy.

Step 5 - Entrance Exam:
To enter the Merchant Navy, you must clear an entrance exam. There are various entrance exams like IMU-CET, CET-MAH, and JEE Advanced that you can take.

Step 6 - Training:
After clearing the entrance exam, you must undergo training at a maritime institute. The training includes both theoretical and practical aspects and can range from 6 months to 1 year. You must also complete a sea-time of 18 months before you can appear for the competency exams.

Step 7 - Competency Exams:
After completing the training and sea-time, you must appear for competency exams conducted by the Directorate General of Shipping. The exams include written and oral tests and are based on the rank you wish to achieve.

Step 8 - Placement:
Once you clear the competency exams, you can apply for placement onboard a ship. You can apply for various positions like deck officer, engineer officer, and ratings.

In conclusion, entering the Merchant Navy requires a combination of education, physical fitness, and training. By following the above steps, you can fulfill your dream of working on a ship and traveling the world.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?