14th June 2017, 05:19 PM
Nitin Lahari

Am I eligible to apply for UGC NET exam after completion of MA in English but not BA?

I did M.A. in English but I didn't have English Literature in B.A. I had General English in B.A. Can I sit for UGC NET exam? What is the minimum criteria required to apply? Can you please guide me with the complete information on the same? Thank you!

15th June 2017, 11:00 AM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am I eligible to apply for UGC NET exam after completion of MA in English but not BA?

The full form of UGC NET is University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test.

Eligibility criteria for it:

1. Master's degree in any discipline from a recognized university.

2. You need to have minimum of 55% marks in master's degree.

You can apply for NET exam if you have 55% marks in Master of Arts in English architecture.
15th June 2017, 11:45 AM
TLSAAAA
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Am I eligible to apply for UGC NET exam after completion of MA in English but not BA?

Yes, you are eligible to appear for UGC NET examination. To appear for examination the required eligibility is :-

Candidate must have passed master's degree from a recognised university.

Candidate must have scored minimum 55% in master degree in respective discipline.

There is no age limit to appear in examination for lecturer.

For more information about examination visit at www.ugc.ac.in.
15th June 2017, 11:58 AM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

UGC NET stands for University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test. NET is at present conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education on behalf of UGC for post of Lectureship and Junior Research Fellowship.

Yes, you can apply for NET examination even if you have not studied English literature in bachelor's degree. The minimum percentage required to apply for NET exam is 55% marks in master' degree.

There is no upper age limit for Lectureship and that for Junior Research Fellowship is 28 years.
15th June 2017, 01:24 PM
Maa ka pyaar
Senior Member+++++

NET ( National Eligibility Test ) conducted by UGC. Yes, you are eligible to appear for examination.

The eligibility to appear for examination is candidate must have passed master degree in discipline in which he/she want to appear for examination with minimum 55%.

So, you are eligible to appear for examination if you have passed your master degree in English.

To get more detail log on to www.ugc.ac.in.
15th June 2017, 02:46 PM
rachna sarswat
Senior Member+

If you have completed your post graduation with minimum of 55% marks from a recognized university then you are eligible to apply for UGC NET exam. It doesn't matter that English Literature was not your subject in graduation. Thanks
15th June 2017, 03:33 PM
Rab Rakha
Senior Member+++

The essential qualification required for University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test:

Academic qualification: Post graduation in any discipline with 55% marks in it.

Age criteria for Junior Research: 28 years.

In case of Lectureship, there is no upper age limit.

If you have 55% marks in post graduation in English then you can apply for UGC NET examination.
15th June 2017, 04:57 PM
Blessmegod
Senior Member+++++

NET refers to National Eligibility Test and it is held by CBSE for recruitment of Assistant Professor and for joining JRF ( Junior Research Fellowship ) in various universities approved by UGC.

The minimum educational qualification required for appearing in NET is a Master's degree with at least 55% marks ( in anyone of the subjects mentioned on official link of NET which includes English ) from a recognized university. Marks relaxation of 5% is applicable for candidates belonging to SC/ST and PH category.

So having completed M.A. in English even having not studied English at your graduation level you are eligible for appearing in NET examination if your have secured required aggregate in the Master's degree as the subject in graduation does not matters for anyone's eligibility for appearing in NET.

For more updates and details regarding NET you can refer to the link www.cbsenet.nic.in.
15th June 2017, 05:47 PM
queen199
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are eligible to appear for NET examination if you have scored minimum 55% in your master degree.

For appearing in NET examination conducted by UGC minimum required qualification is candidate is must have passed master degree with minimum 55%.

There is nothing to do with discipline of bachelor degree.

So, if you have scored 55% you can appear for examination. To get more details for examination visit at www.ugc.ac.in.
15th June 2017, 06:06 PM
BHANBHORI
Senior Member+++++

=> University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test acronym as UGC NET is taken by UGC twice in a year.

=> For UGC NET exam candidate must have passed master degree from a recognized university.

=> The minimum percentage required in master degree is 55% for general category and 50% for SC/ST category candidate.

=> As per your qualification i think you are eligible for UGC NET exam.
15th June 2017, 06:18 PM
EASY EMI
Senior Member+

UGC NET means University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test.

The requirement for UGC NET exam is:

1. Educational Qualification: Post graduation in any stream.

2. Age limit is 28 years for Junior Research Fellowship.

You can apply for UGC NET exam subject to meeting percentage criteria in master's degree which is 55%.
15th June 2017, 08:53 PM
avinash1997
Senior Member+++++

UGC NET is acronym for University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test for Lectureship and Junior Research Fellowship. The academic requirement for this examination is master's degree. Candidates with 55% marks in master's degree are eligible for UGC NET exam.

There is no issue if you have not studied English literature in Bachelor of Arts. You can apply for NET exam. The upper age limit for Junior Research Fellowship is 28 years. But there is no upper age limit for Lectureship.
15th June 2017, 09:28 PM
Effort Never Dies
Senior Member+++++

You can apply for UGC NET Exam with your qualification.For more details regarding you can go through the below details.

Eligibility for UGCNET :

>> You should complete Master's from the recognized university with minimum 55% of mark.

>> There is a percentage relaxation for the reserved candidates with minimum 5% of marks.

>> The candidates who are having PH.D can also apply for UGC NET but with percentage relaxation of 5% of marks.

>>Final year students of Masters can also apply for UGC NET Exam.
15th June 2017, 09:39 PM
shweta 1411
Senior Member+++++

It is not compulsory to have same subject in Graduation as well as in Master's. You can change subject in Master's degree. So no need to worry as because you are eligible to write NET entrance exam.

Eligibility criteria are as under:-

Candidate must be a holder of Master's degree holder.

Candidate must have attained at least 50% aggregate in Master's.

Candidate have at least 3 years of teaching experience.

There is no upper age limit.
17th March 2020, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

Am I eligible to apply for UGC NET exam after completion of BA in English but not MA?
12th June 2020, 06:40 PM
amish25
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Am I eligible to apply for UGC NET exam after completion of BA in English but not MA?
No, to appear for UGC NET exam, you must have completed the post graduation degree in the respective subject.

The UGC NET exam is conducted twice a year and candidates, whose master degree has been completed with minimum 55% marks (for general category), can apply for the exam.

There is no age limit for NET Lectureship, but for NET JRF, the age must be below 30 years.
there are some age and percentage relaxation for the reserved category candidates.

The candidates are allowed to apply for their post graduation subject or its related subjects only in UGC NET Exam.

All the best!!
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?