6th September 2011, 08:06 PM
varunvats

Can I apply for merchant navy on the basis of 12th marks?

sir, i am doing 12th from cbse ....means i will pass 12th in april 2012.
Can i apply for merchant navy on the basis of 12th........?

Related Questions:
  1. Which field to choose after 12th having interest in Software Engineering and Merchant Navy? -- [New]
  2. Want to apply for merchant navy on 10th basis?
  3. How to apply for merchant navy as electrical engineer?
  4. Eligibility for merchant navy? What to do to join Merchant Navy after 12th with PCM? How to join training and the physical eligibility? What is the fee structure?
  5. What is the procedure followed to get into merchant navy after diploma?
  6. Merchant Navy eligiblity after 12th and forms availability -- [Most Discussed]
  7. Can I join Merchant Navy after passing 12th? What is the requirement?
  8. What is the eligibility criteria for a girl to join merchant navy?
  9. How to join Merchant Navy after passing class 12th? I have scored 80% marks
  10. Best Institutes for Merchant Navy? Is it possible to join Merchant Navy with 55% in 12th?
  11. Procedure to apply for Merchant Navy after 12th with PCM? Salary of a deck cadet? On what basis if promotion done?
  12. Are the Merchant Navy admissions on the basis of 10th standard?
  13. How to get job in Merchant Navy when completed 12th?
  14. What shall I do to get admission for Merchant Navy after completion of 12th Class? Can I get admission to Merchant Navy on the basis of percentage of marks in 12th Class?
  15. Is this possible to pursue Merchant Navy after completion of 10th class and getting Job on the basis of this?
  16. How to apply for GP rating post in merchant navy?
  17. Can i join Merchant Navy on 10th basis after passing 12th
  18. Merchant Navy or Indian Navy after B.Sc.? Admission procedure and Institutes?
24th September 2011, 01:47 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I apply for merchant navy on the basis of 12th marks?

You have not mentioned the 12th class stream which you have taken. The candidates can join merchant navy after the 12th class. But they should have studied the main science subjects namely the Physics, chemistry and also mathematics. The candidates who have done marine engineering and mechanical engineering can also join the merchant navy. The candidates also need to pass the medical fitness test which is conducted.
24th September 2011, 04:01 PM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hello friend,
After qualifying +2 level of examination, you may join Merchant Navy as deck cadet provided you have studied physics, chemistry and maths.
If you have studied the subjects mentioned above in the +2 level, you may also pursue bachelors degree program in nautical science or in marine engineering. An individual holding a degree in marine engineering or nautical science will be able to make great career in merchant navy.
24th September 2011, 07:02 PM
praveendia

Career in Merchant Navy can be pursued either as an officer or a rating in mainly two specialized fields, i.e. Marine Engineering and Nautical (deck). To become a seafarer, following streams ofentries (Pre-Sea courses) are available to Indian citizens in the Government as well as in private training institutions (recognized and approved by Director General of Shipping, Ministry of Shipping):-

Officers

i.

ii.

iii.

iv.

v.

Rating (Entry standard Xth)

i.

ii.

iii.

iv.

In addition, a candidate can join as utility hand or Petty Officers (Fitters)after completing 4 Basic Courses, i.e. FPFF, EFA, PSSR and PST.

Govt training Institutes : There are four Government Training Institutes providing Pre-Sea and Post-Sea training of international standard :

i.

ii.

iii.

iv.

T.S. Chanakya, Navi Mumbai

This is a shore based academy, which carries the reputation and tradition of T.S. Dufferin and T.S. Rajendra. The Institute is of international repute and the alumni of the institute are well known worldwide. The admission to this Institute for three year degree course is done through Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) conducted by IIT. The candidate should not be more than 20 years of age, on1 st October and should have cleared screening test of IIT, to apply for this course. After qualifying the screening test of the IIT, the boy who is keento pursue the career in Merchant Navy, as a Deck Officer, has to fill up an application form which is available at Directorate General of Shipping, Mumbai, and at the selected branches of Syndicate Bank all over India. The advertisement for this, is published in leading news papers of the country in the month of July and December every year, giving procedure for admission. After completing a 3-year course at T.S. Chanakya, a student is awarded Degree in Nautical Science by Mumbai University and is required to go on board ship for one year sea training. The cost of the training in T.S. Chanakya is about Rs. 30,000. per year including tuition fees, hostel and messing. Personal expenses are to be borne by the student. T S. Chanakya also conducts 3 month Pre-Sea Deck Cadets Course. The candidates should be less than 20 years of age on the commencement of the course and should have minimum 60% of marks in P.C.M. at 10+2 level or 55% marks in the B. Sc. and should be below22 years of age or should have passed BE/B.Tech. from acollege recognized by AICTE and is below 24 years of age. The advertisement for this course is published 2 months before the commencement of the course in Employment News and other leading news papers. After completion of the course, the candidate is toobtain requisite sea time of 2 to 3 years before appearing for 2 nd Mate competency exam. During their sea attachment, these candidates,usually, are paid nominal pocket allowances by the shipping companies, in addition to free messing and accommodation on the ship. For further details, contact Capt. Superintendent, T.S. Chanakya at the following address : Capt.Superintendent, TrainingShip Chanakya, Karave, Navi Mumbai., Tel. 022- 770 3876.

Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Kolkata.

This Institute was established in 1949 to impart training to marine engineering cadets and is presently situated at Kolkata. The Institute conducts 4 year degree coursein Marine Engineering recognized by AICTE and affiliated to University of Jadhavpur. The admission to this course is also done through Joint Entrance Exam (JEE) of IIT and the eligibility for this course is same as of Training Ship Chanakya and the admission to this Instituteis also conducted along with the selection to the T.S. Chanakya on the basis of the merit list provided by JEE, IIT. The admission procedure and the fees for this course is also in line of T.S. Chanakya as mentioned above. For any further query, the Director, MERI, Kolkata, may be contacted at the following address : Marine Engineering& Research Institute, P-19, New Taratalla Road, Kolkata –700 088, Tel. 033- 401 467 3

Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai.

This Institute is situated at Mumbai at Haybundar and provides 1 year Pre-Sea Training to graduate Mechanical Engineers to enable them to go on ships as Junior Engineers. To be eligibile for this course, the candidate should have passedengineering degree in mechanical or in Naval Architecture from the AICTE recognized Institute. The selection is done on the basis of merit and the advertisement for this course is published in Employment News and other leading news papers in the month of November every year. The fees for this course is around Rs. 1,40,000/- including messing, uniform and accommodation. The address is : Marine Engineering & Research Institute, Hay Bunder Road, Mumbai – 400 033, Tel. 022- 3723577,E-mail- [email protected]

Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies and Research, Mumbai

Lal Bahadur Shastri College of Advanced Maritime Studies and Research is a premier post-sea Maritime Education and Training Institute offering a comprehensive range of courses for Merchant Navy Officers. The college wasestablished by the Ministry of Transport, Government of India, in 1948.

In addition to Government Training Institutes, there are number of private training institutes which are conducting pre-sea courses for Nautical as well as Engineering candidates both for 10+2 students and engineering candidates. These institutes follow their own selection procedure, which is published regularly in the news papers. For further details, these institutes may be contacted. The institutes provide training to the students and are recognized by the Directorate General of Shipping, Government of India. But on completion of the training, the students have to appear for the competency examination, which enable them to be employed on board Merchant Ships. It is necessary for all candidates to obtain a Certificate of Competency from Directorate General of Shipping, Government of India, the certificates are recognized and respected by all the countries. The examinations for these certificates are conducted by the D.G. Shipping through Mercantile Marine Departments. The 1 st exam for 2 nd Mate (Deck) and MEO IV (Engineering) is to be givenby the candidates after successfully completing the Pre-Sea Training in the above institutes and required sea time on ships. After acquiring the Certificate of Competency,the officer is eligible to be appointed as 3 rd Officer / 5 th Engineer on board Merchant Ship and draw a handsome salary. For subsequent promotion, he has to render further sea service and pass higher examinations and post-sea courses at LBS College (Govt. of India) or in other private training institutes.

In addition to the above entries for officers, the candidate can join Merchant Navy as rating on board ship. The minimum qualification for rating is 10 th standard with Maths and Science and the age limit is less than 24 ½ years at the commencement of the course. After completing the course, the trainees are required to go onship minimum for 6 months to earn their watchkeeping certificate. After obtaining the Watch Keeping Certificate,they can sail on ships as rating for Deck/Engine Room/Saloon/Petty Officers and are paid handsome salary.
14th June 2012, 08:45 PM
Unregistered

sir which is better,marine enggineering or nautical science?which gives us top salary?pls reply me sir
29th April 2013, 10:54 AM
Unregistered

Sir, I passed 12th in the year 2008. Now my age is 23. Can i join merchant navy now?
16th June 2013, 01:15 PM
Unregistered

Sir i have passed class xii cbse from science stream without mathematics. Can i apply for the merchant navy
16th June 2013, 05:50 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

It depends on the stream chosen by you for the 12th standard. If you picked science stream then surely you can get admission for Merchant Navy. However the commerce and arts stream students are not so lucky.

To be precise, you will have to complete 12th with Physics, Chemistry and Maths to have any chance of making career in Merchant Navy. If you have done 12th in the sujbects mentioned above then do the following.

One way is to get job now without studying further. Since you want to apply on the basis of 12th marks this is the ideal procedure for you.

After finishing 12th you can apply for the deck cadet job. There is no further qualification required for it. You however will have to complete a 3 months pre sea training course but that will come into picture once you have been selected by a company.

What happens is that upon recruiting candidates for deck cadet, the company itself arranges the training for them.

This is the method if you do not want to continue studying. However if you can continue it would be great. Since after completing graduation you can actually apply for the officer level jobs.

You can apply for the courses like Marine Engineering or the B.Sc Nautical Science.

For both the courses 12th must have been finished with PCM subjects. Here is the eligibility criteria.

Eligibility

1. Pass the 12th standard with PCM subjects.

2. You should not be married to apply.

3. Age limit is 20 years to apply for courses.

4. 5 years relaxation is for SC/ST.

5. Must meet physical criteria like 6/6 vision, 150 cm height etc.

You can also complete B.Tech in Mechanical/Electrical/Technology. After completing these courses take a 9 months long pre sea course in Marine Engineering from MERI following which you can apply for jobs in Merchant navy.
12th September 2013, 03:30 AM
Unregistered

sir
i m student of bsc1st year.. I also apply a form to entrance exam of merchant navy a month ago to deck rating..
i have 86%marks with PCM in 12th and 77% marks in 10th.what is the syllabus of this entrance exam please tell me.
how can i join this job after qualify this exam.what is the work of deckrating post.
22nd September 2013, 09:00 PM
Unregistered

I am in 11 std. i want to think about my feuture can I get more info. to do career in nevy
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?