20th July 2012, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

How to become a Pilot after having bad eyesight?

i have eye sight and i want to become pilot is it possible if i do my eye operation

4th October 2012, 07:03 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How to become a Pilot after having bad eyesight?

The biggest hurdle for a lot of Pilot aspirants is poor eyesight. There is a lot of confusion regarding what can be done if your eyesight is not up to the mark and still you want to become a commercial pilot.

Now, there are rules related to the eyesight by the Director General Civil Aviation (DGCA) which is considered as watchdog for the Civil Aviation in India. What has been mentioned is that candidate can wear eyeglasses to become pilot.

However nothing has been mentioned about the lasik surgery which you are referring to and the contact lenses. Therefore it is quite obvious that both these are not allowed. I would ask you not to go for lasik surgery. It is quite easy to identify if someone has undergone lasik treatment during the medical test conducted by the DGCA.

So what does DGCA says about pilot with bad eyesight. Well the answer is that you can apply only if you eyesight is correctable to 20/20 for distance vision through eyeglasses while 20/40 for the near vision. This is the rules related to wearing eyeglasses for the pilots.

Eligibility

You must complete 12th with PCM as the subjects.

At least 50 percent marks are required in 12th.

The age limit for Commercial Pilot Licence is 18 to 30 years.

Physical Requirements

Height

The minimum height to become Pilot is 5 feet.

Other Requirements

You should be able to handle pressure situation without any emotional breakdown.

You should not have fear of height.

Procedure

Student’s Pilot Licence

Private Pilot Licence

Commercial Pilot Licence

4th October 2012, 07:21 PM
murugeshwarankkl
Member+

Define 'poor eyesight'. Generally, if you can get your vision to 20/20 (even with glasses or contacts) you're fine. There are, of course, exceptions. Tell us exactly what is wrong with your eyesight and country you live in.

I can tell you this. I used to be an airline pilot in the USA. My uncorrected distant vision is something like 20/200 and I know many pilots that would practically be blind without their glasses. I was born with crossed eyes (corrected with surgery as a baby). I also have a mild case of lazy eye. I have reported my prior and current eye problems to the FAA and they are fine with it.

I also know airline pilots that have failed the color blindness test (they got a waiver by taking another type of test with the FAA). I know of an instrument rated private pilot that has lazy eye so severe that he is literally completely blind in that one eye. The faa knows about it and he can legally fly.

My point is, you don't have to have perfect vision in order to become a pilot. There are even ways to get waivers if you do not meet certain FAA medical regulations.

24th February 2013, 12:22 PM
Unregistered

sir,
I am a Btech student studying computer science engineering in India.I want to become Pilot.I have an eye sight of -2(long sight).I can become a pilot after my btech if so how can i join in it.plz tell me.

8th December 2013, 11:36 AM
Unregistered

Sir,
I am a B.Tech final year student studying computer science engineering in India.I want to become a Commercial Pilot in India.I have an eye sight of -2.5(long sight)in both eyes.I am planning to do a lasik surgery coming january.Can I become a pilot after lasik surgery?pls tell me

17th January 2014, 01:31 PM
Unregistered

Sir please tell me that will I qualify for nda with a lazy eye in my left eye sight bt my right eye sight is very good . I will be highly obliged for your feedback sir

1st May 2014, 11:07 PM
Unregistered

can i become a pilot i have weak eyesight that is -2.75 and -1.75 plz tell me
i am in 10std is there any solution for my eyes

8th May 2015, 02:37 PM
Unregistered

I am 12th grade student and wish to become a pilot.
I have a sph. No. Of -1.25
Can i continue with spectacles for the training of commercial pilot?

13th June 2015, 10:56 PM
Unregistered

Aslong as you get 20/20 vision with both eyes after wearing specs you can pass the Dgca class one medical.

13th June 2015, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am 12th grade student and wish to become a pilot.
I have a sph. No. Of -1.25
Can i continue with spectacles for the training of commercial pilot?
Aslong as you get 6/6 vision with both eyes and 6/9 in single eye after wearing specs you are fit to clear class one medical of Dgca.

23rd October 2020, 08:12 PM
Unregistered

Can I become a pilot with eye sight of -3.5??

Do you have any question? or have anything to say?