21st June 2010, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

What are the options after Btech biotechnology ?

Hello Sir/Madam,
This is Rajesh Iyer, I am a Btech graduate in biotechnology. I have passed out in 2009 with a cgpa of 6.7 out of 10 and a second class degree certificate. But i have research experience and have co authored a research paper and also presented a poster in an international conference. i also have two fairly good proects in my name. the only thing is my cgpa is not what the interviewers expect of me.
I qualified GATE in BT with a score of 584, rank 85, and 99.2 percentile. i got interview calls from all IIT and some pvt institutes i had applied. But to my dissappointment in the interview rounds i found that there is a lot of prejuidice about low cgpa students like me. Now the status is that even though i have a flair for biotechnology and research i am not getting admission in any good institution.

kindly advice what should i do because this is the second academic year i will be wasting without taking admissions and i do not want to waste my efforts over somethinf that is not practical.

will it be wise to change the field??
should i go for mba??

Related Questions:
  1. Which are the best biotechnology institutes in Uttar Pradesh and all over India? Is VIT Vellore good for Biotechnology? Should I choose B.Tech Biotechnology, B.Tech Bioinformatics or B.Tech Biomedical Engineering?
  2. Integrated course in M.Tech (Biotechnology) from JNU? Syllabus? Career options and scope of biotechnology in India?
  3. Which courses can I opt for after completion of B.Tech in Biotechnology? Is MS associated with Biotechnology a good choice for me?
  4. Should I go for BSc Biotechnology or B.Tech Biotechnology?
  5. Which subjects should I choose for UGC NET Exam being a candidate from B.Tech in Biotechnology? Is Environmental Science a good choice for me?
  6. Companies offering Internship to B.Tech(Biotechnology) 4th semester student in Madhya Pradesh?
  7. What are the options after Btech biotechnology ?
  8. What are the software jobs I can take after completion of B.Tech in Biotechnology? -- [New]
  9. What are the options to do PG in Biotechnology from abroad?
  10. List of institutions offering GATE preparatory coaching in Kerala for Biotechnology?
  11. Can I do Biotechnology with Biology background and without Maths after 12th? Institutes in India offering such course?
  12. Exams for which a Btech in Biotechnology student can appear?
  13. How much is the salary after completing B.Tech in Biotechnology?
  14. Options available after B.Tech except MBA?
  15. In which sectors can I get jobs after doing M.Tech Biotechnology for Ph.D Biotechnology?
  16. Good companies for doing job after btech biotechnology?
  17. Higher studies options after mechanical engineering btech? -- [Most Discussed]
  18. Information about jobs and salary of B.Tech Biotechnology

3rd July 2010, 10:47 AM
sparkle
Senior Member+++

Default Re: What are the options after Btech biotechnology ?

Hello friend,

Please don't be disheartened so earlier..You just look forward to taking other chances in your career.

Everyone can not walk the smooth road through out one's career.
As you have keen interest in R&D field, there are very good chances of job awaiting for you in the future. Don't change your field of interest!

Without wasting time you can pursue MBA in biotech ,which will increase your job opportunities, with that continue seeking chances with applying jobs in various institutes.

All students do not come up with high CGPAs. So don't think that there are sort of prejudice regarding low-cgpa students.

You have also qualified GATE, you must get something good, as you try hard.

I hope you will carry with your option that seems better to you.

All the best!

3rd July 2010, 10:58 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend

There is good future in the field of biotechnology. You can do any Research or Further Study in Biotechnology field. You can also go for MBA after completing B.tech biotechnology. There are very wide career in the field of Management. So, if
you can for MBA you will find better jobs with great salary pacakage.......

4th July 2010, 12:16 AM
garg.satish0
Senior Member++++

friend , as you are too talented so there is nothing to worry !!!

Talent needs no medium for propogation . Talent will be rewarded sooner or later but i think that you need to put some more efforts as your CGPA is not good enough to attract companies towards you ...

There are several options till available for you .. such are descripted below

~you can take admission for diploma course in colleges through distance learning in colleges such as IGNOU or PTU and can also apply in your previous college as you are unable to get into IITs due to your CGPA reasons .
The requirement is CGPA of 6.5 for distance programs ..

but this option is not so recommended ,

~you can go MBA which will be an asset to your biotech degree and will add to your reputation regarding academic performances but that will completely seperate you from whatever you have studied till now ....

~but as you have great zeal for biotech so i think that you must opt teaching as your career as at present almost all the teachers are such one's who just emphasize on mugging up the things and doesn't work for the upliftment of knowledge of students ..

so , by being a teacher , you can provide lot to the community by doing so and whole life you will be attached with your subject and also teaching career is the only left option for biotechnologists for expecting good salaries as even the highest paid students in biotech are from Phd programs and that salary is even not enough for male candidates for the livings of the family ...

Hope you will choose the best options among the above one's ...

All the best for whatever you do ..

4th July 2010, 12:53 AM
bhubaneshwari

Dear friends,
After B.Tech degree in Biotechnology you can work in the research and development departments of Pharma/Biotech companies, but in R&D Post graduation is seriously required. With B.Tech degree you can work in quality control, production or in the marketing department of Pharma/Bio-analytical instrument manufacturing company.

4th July 2010, 01:24 AM
vanshu sharma

Don't be disheartened
as u have qualified gate but your score was not good enough
try harder next time

4th July 2010, 08:32 AM
gohan4

You choose B.tec in biotecnology in further you can do M.tec or MBA its really help you

4th July 2010, 05:24 PM
August
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: What are the options after Btech biotechnology ?

dear friend

as your cgpa is not good so u are not getting good job in good companies as well u are not able to take admission i reputed institutes.

don't woory. keep belive in yourself and in your talent.

u are very much talented in biotechnology field and u have done some briiliant works in this field in your college carrier.

u dont change ur path to MBA it is not 4 u.

as u have a brilliant score in GATE u can try in good private colleges for m.tech.

after M.TECH go for PHD and i am sure u will be a scientist in this field.

u acn also try in average private colleges for your M.TECH if u will not get in reputed institutes.

all the best.

5th July 2010, 10:48 PM
subhasish
Senior Member++

After completing B.Tech in biotecchnollogy you can do the M.tech or MBA it will add brighter future scope in the field of jobs.

So go for the postgraduate courses ,it will help you more to shape your future and also there will be lots of companies for which you can apply for....

Biotechnology is the research-oriented science including a fusion of biology and technology. This study includes a large variety of subjects including Biochemistry, Genetics, Microbiology, Chemistry etc..

All the best for your future.

6th July 2010, 01:55 AM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello friends don't be disapointment.according to mine you should do mba.i think it can bring your bright carrier fortune.so you just hope for the best..
best of luck........

6th July 2010, 03:39 AM
anupam kuruganti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello Sir/Madam,
This is Rajesh Iyer, I am a Btech graduate in biotechnology. I have passed out in 2009 with a cgpa of 6.7 out of 10 and a second class degree certificate. But i have research experience and have co authored a research paper and also presented a poster in an international conference. i also have two fairly good proects in my name. the only thing is my cgpa is not what the interviewers expect of me.
I qualified GATE in BT with a score of 584, rank 85, and 99.2 percentile. i got interview calls from all IIT and some pvt institutes i had applied. But to my dissappointment in the interview rounds i found that there is a lot of prejuidice about low cgpa students like me. Now the status is that even though i have a flair for biotechnology and research i am not getting admission in any good institution.

kindly advice what should i do because this is the second academic year i will be wasting without taking admissions and i do not want to waste my efforts over somethinf that is not practical.

should i go for mba??

Dear friend,
I have a very good option for you. As you had scored very good percentile in GATE go for any reputed private institutions and study you M.tech there. If you didn't get any reputed colleges then join in any M.tech offering Biotechnology college so that you will not waste your year. We all choose a better college like IIT because the college name will bring name for us also. But think in the other way join in any normal college and bring name to that college with your performance as you have extra curricular activities also. You can get stipend of 8000 rupees per month if you join in M.tech.

While doing your M.tech you can utilize your time wonderfully and make miracles which can't be done by an IIT student also. If you know about BCIL it is good other wise I will explain it to you now.

BCIL:

BCIL(Biotech Consortium of India Limited) is a body governed by the Govt., of India.It will give industrial training programme with the name BITP (Biotech Industrial Training Programme). Lat date for application sending is 10th JULY of 2010. It can be available at this web site http://www.bcil.nic.in/ . First apply for it as the last date is very near so be quick and apply for it. Here I am attaching few information about BCIL which will be helpful for you. My advice is while doing your M.tech if you selected in BCIL you can have the Industrial experience + another 8,000 rupees as stipend from government of India under BCIL scheme. So better go for this option.

If you are not interested in M.tech then prepare for CAT which can ensure you a good job in a reputed company with very good pay. SO the option is yours. I will help you if you need any additional information regarding BCIL or in your field because I am also the same person with same degree and with same problems which you are facing now. All the best for your future.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Adv1.pdf(749.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: doc BITP.doc(35.0 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by anupam kuruganti; 10th July 2010 at 12:40 PM.

7th July 2010, 08:33 AM
gohan4

HI
You can do M.tec in biotechnology or you can do MBA
both cousr are good for further.

8th July 2010, 01:39 PM
Unregistered

hello i am doing third year biotech.how should i prepare for gate?

10th July 2010, 01:24 PM
anupam kuruganti

Thumbs up Re: What are the options after Btech biotechnology ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hello i am doing third year biotech.how should i prepare for gate?
Hello friend,

Preparation for GATE (BT) :
Dear friend don't worry I will guide you in a step by step procedure. I am sure that this procedure will help you a lot.

1. First of all take a white paper, pen and write what are the daily works you are doing and what amount of time you are spending for each and every work ( be honest to your self write each and every work correctly like when you wake up, what time will it usually take for you to getting ready for college, when will you be free in your college(minimum 1 hour freeness you can write down), at what time you will come to home, at what time you will go to bed, what are the other activities in your every day life. Please write each and every point don't miss any). Because time management for preparation is very very crucial point. The major aim of this work is to find the gaps in your every day life and to make them in an orderly manner so that you can get ample amount of time for your GATE preparation.

2. Now take another paper, pen and your GATE syllabus. Note down all the topics which you are thorough in (not doubtfully thorough, if you it completely then only note it down otherwise don't touch it). After your self analysis you could know your self where you are strong and where you are weak. Then start your preparation with your topics which you don't know. Thats is. Test your knowledge regularly by writing previous papers and discuss with your friends about your doubts and your preparation. I am sure a good discussion with friends will help you learn a lot of things. Please go ahead and I am sure you will definitely get success in your GATE exam. If you have any technical doubts i.e., doubts in subject also please ask, we are all hear to help you. All the best.

13th July 2010, 12:30 AM
drdo99
Banned

friend,
you can try your hands at various profeesional courses like biochemistry ,pathologist
you can get m.tech as genetic after biotech engg.
Today, there are vivid specifications,starting from microbiology to dna atomics. Industry get the more qualified people.
Also through upsc,you can fill various forms of biotech departments needing lecturers,pilot researchers.

20th July 2010, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

Hai i am dng my 3rd yr btech biotechnology in Chennai .i am in a big dialemma wat to do after finishing of my btech?can u plz suggest me whether MBA or GATE or GRE?

2nd August 2010, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

i am doing 3rd year btech.biotechnology and want to prepare for gate exam.so,which subject should i choose for it??

12th August 2010, 09:01 AM
Unregistered

i m pursuing b.tech bitotech..i m in third year n my cgpa so far is 7.46..???
so wanted to know what r d jod options i have after my graduations?

31st August 2010, 08:23 PM
Raj333

dear friend
there are many option after Btech biotechnology...............

after btech you may go for mtech..................
after Btech biotechnology you may go for upsc exam..................
after Btech biotechnology you may go for public sector exam..........
after Btech biotechnology you may go for job in private sector ..........

best of luck........................................

31st January 2011, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

hello sir am abhishek,sir am doing btech biotechnology and my cgpa is not good only 5.9.sir plz give me advise what i do?am pre. gate.

2nd June 2011, 12:33 AM
Unregistered

hello,

can anyone please shed some light on what is bcil and the pattern of exam and the other details related to it. i am a btech biotech student and would appreciate any advise in this case.

30th July 2011, 02:00 PM
Unregistered

hello sir,
i m doing btech biotechnology and i want to knw whether i do mba or m.tech after completing my btech..
plz suggest.....

15th September 2011, 07:55 PM
Unregistered

hello sir,
i m doing btech biotechnology and i want to know whether i need to do mba or mtech after completing my btech.present i m in 3rd year..
if you suggest mba then what are the exam to be written and how to prepare and what are the books required for the exam.if you sujjest for upsc exam then how to prepare
or any other banking exam .
plz plz advice...

18th September 2011, 07:57 PM
Unregistered

hiii

i completed b.tech biotechnology in the year 2010. i hve 5months of research experience. now i hve got a job in biotech papers publishing company. wat shud i do nw. wether dis job s gud r dng m.tech wil be gud. please gve a better a ans............

17th December 2013, 01:31 AM
Unregistered

Hello Sir/Madam,
This is Kamakshi Iyer, I am a Btech graduate in biotechnology. I have passed out in 2013 with a cgpa of 7.08 out of 10 and a second class degree certificate.

Kindly advice what should i do further as i feel i wont be able to get in research field and also nt in reputed firms too. I dono what to do next

should i go for mba or mtech ??

Do you have any question? or have anything to say?