28th September 2021, 12:35 AM
Unregistered

Is it compulsory to complete PhD even after passing UGC NET exam to become a professor in government college?

Hello, Am Lavanya doing M.A. English final year. I have a doubt regarding the eligibility criteria to become government professor in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. If I complete post graduation with minimum of 55% and clear UGC NET examination, will I be able to get the posting of lecturer or professor in government college? Or do I have to complete M.Phil? Or should I also have to complete PhD?

30th September 2021, 08:02 PM
shantanu bose
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it compulsory to complete PhD even after passing UGC NET exam to become a professor in government college?

No, ph.d is another degree which you need to pursue if you want to work as a professor in a college. Without ph.d you will be posted as a lecturer or assistant professor.

However there are many reputed colleges which ask for ph.d even for the post of assistant professor.
30th September 2021, 08:36 PM
taputanya
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Is it compulsory to complete PhD even after passing UGC NET exam to become a professor in government college?

--- PhD is not necessary after UGC NET to become assistant professor. It is not even mandatory the UGC circular that made PhD mandatory is on hold now due to covid-19.
Now, it does not mean that you should not go for PHD after UGC NET.
PhD becomes necessary in prominent universities like DU, JNU, AMU and BHU.
Government bodies recruit via UGC NET only.

For example:

RPSC is recruiting for Assistant professor.

UPHESC is recruiting for Assistant professor.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?