1st May 2016, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

What graduation is necessary for IAS? Can I take science, commerce or arts?

I am joining my 11th std now , what combination should I take up and in graduation what combination should I take? Should it be science, commerce or arts- social science? Can you please guide me with the right details on this? Thank you!

Related Questions:
  1. If i opt for Arts then which subjects should I choose in IAS?
  2. Which are the good institutes for doing B.Com after HSC in Ahmedabad?
  3. What combination of subjects I need to take in school and graduation to apply for IAS in future?
  4. Which line should be taken to become IPS officer after 10th standard?
  5. Need guidance about choosing course after Matric in Science?
  6. List of the colleges in Mumbai offer MSc Biotechnology? Details regarding the entrance exam?
  7. Top 10 colleges which offer B.Com(Accountancy) under Mumbai University? Procedure to get admission?
  8. Colleges/Institutes in Mumbai offering BFA course?
  9. Names of the colleges in Mumbai offering full time course in M.A in Economics
  10. Does graduation in fashion designing from Allahabad university equivalent to graduation in science or commerce or arts?
  11. Procedure to complete graduation in other streams like Arts or Commerce?
  12. How many B.Ed colleges are there in Tamilnadu?
  13. List of the top colleges along with their procedure under Amravati University offering M.Sc course? What are career opportunities after that?
  14. List of the top colleges offering BCM course in Nashik?
  15. List of colleges for criminology? Can a commerce student apply for admission in graduation with criminology stream or it is only for science and arts background students?
  16. Will I get admission in BSc IT in Mumbai College?
  17. Should I join Arts stream if I am interested in joining IAS in future? -- [Most Discussed]
  18. List of the colleges along with their admission procedure and eligibility criteria offering B.Sc course in Aurangabad?
1st May 2016, 09:54 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What graduation is necessary for IAS? Can I take science, commerce or arts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am joining my 11th std now , what combination should I take up and in graduation what combination should I take? Should it be science, commerce or arts- social science? Can you please guide me with the right details on this? Thank you!
To become an IAS officer, you can choose graduation degree in Arts stream.

Those candidates who have completed graduation degree from a recognized University are eligible for IAS exam.

Your age should be in between 21 to 32 years.

Books for IAS exam:-

IAS PRE: Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency
by Upscportal
Publisher: Upscportal.com
Price: Rs. 225

UPSC IAS PRE: English Grammar and Usage
by Upscportal
Publisher: UPSCPORTAL Publications
Price: Rs. 220

UPSC PORTAL: English Language Comprehension Skills
by UPSCportal Editorial Board
Publisher: Upsc Portal
Price: Rs. 150

UPSC Portal General Knowledge Manual
by UPSCportal Editorial Board
Publisher: Upscportal.com
Price: Rs. 150
1st May 2016, 01:13 PM
Saikiranreddy47475
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: What graduation is necessary for IAS? Can I take science, commerce or arts?

There is no need to opt any particular course for becoming an IAS. Candidates who have completed Graduation course in any stream from a recognised university are eligible to appear in IAS examination. You can opt for any course in which you are interested for pursuing Graduation course. After completion of your Graduation course, you can appear in IAS examination and by qualifying all rounds of IAS examination, you can become an IAS officer.
1st May 2016, 03:09 PM
ishteaque
Senior Member+++++

You just need to be a normal graduate in any stream and can very much opt for IAS examination, there is nothing specific about it. However, it is advisable for you to prepare hard for your exam as clearing the entrance examination for IAS is not a matter of joke.
1st May 2016, 03:54 PM
Aswiniteju
Senior Member+++++

Before choosing the best course, I suggest you to know the basic eligibility criteria required for IAS. Yes, IAS (Indian Administrative Service) is one of the services under Civil Services. To join IAS, you are required to apply for Civil Services Preliminary Examination called CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test) which is conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) every year. The basic qualification required to join IAS is "Graduate Degree" or a Bachelor Degree in any discipline from a recognized university. Kindly note that the word "Any Discipline" in Graduation is allowed. So choose Bachelor Degree in Commerce/ Arts/ Science is left to you. See, before you take the course I suggest you to first gather what are your Interests and goals and based on which you may choose the Bachelor Degree in any of the three disciplines mentioned above. As far as my knowledge is concerned, Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science are the best courses and the final decision is upto you. So think of all these above instructions and then only choose the suitable option as this is stepping stone of your career.
1st May 2016, 08:54 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

Any graduation stream will work for IAS exam. There is no specific stream requirement for this exam. Just make sure that you complete your degree in any discipline from a recognized university.

Arts is considered a good options in terms of preparation for IAS exam because syllabus matches in most parts. Hence, opt any stream according to your choice.
1st May 2016, 10:14 PM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

IAS stands for Indian Administrative Services. This comes under Civil Services examination of India. UPSC is responsible for conducting Civil Services examination every year.

Eligibility criteria for Civil Services examination:

1. Graduates in any discipline from a recognized university can apply for Civil Services examination. Final year candidates can also apply for this exam.

2. Age limit for exam is 21-32 years. Upper age relaxation applicable to candidates of reserved category.

Candidates are free to select any stream in bachelor's degree of his own choice. You can take any combination as per your wish and interest in that stream.
2nd May 2016, 12:13 AM
ranjan Ayush
Senior Member+++++

I.A.S stands for Indian Administration Service and it is one of the prestigious service and for recruitment on above post candidates have to appear and qualify in Civil Services examination.

Civil Services examination is conducted by UPSC every year. The eligibility to appear for examination is candidate must have passed bachelor's degree from any recognised university. The age limit to appear for examination is 21-32 years with relaxation in upper age limit for reserved category.

Candidates passed degree in any discipline are eligible to appear for examination. So, you can pursue any course in graduation.

So, you just need to start preparation for examination as per syllabus. For more information about examination visit at www.upsc.gov.in.
2nd May 2016, 12:24 AM
Careerexpert
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
There is no such specific Graduation mandatory to become a IAS officer. However, you can select Commerce or Arts specialization which is closely related to IAS exam pattern. Those who interested to become a IAS officer, must appear and qualify in the Civil Service Examination conducted by the Union Public Service.

Eligibility Criteria:

- Graduation in any discipline from a recognized university.
- The candidate age should be in between 21 years to 32 years and upper age relaxation will be given to reserved category candidates.
2nd May 2016, 12:51 AM
Jits56
Senior Member++++

Quote:
The aspirant can take any graduation to pursue IAS. The eligibility to civil services preliminary examination is a pass in Bachelor’s Degree from a recognised university. So you can study any graduation to pursue IAS in future. The civil services examination is conducted by the UPSC. You have to clear Preliminary Examinations, Mains Examination and Interview for the selection. You can take any degree even engineering and medicine graduates are also appearing for the civil services. You can check the details in the UPSC website, the link is
http://www.upsc.gov.in/
2nd May 2016, 01:59 AM
Sherlock0110

Talking Re: What graduation is necessary for IAS? Can I take science, commerce or arts?

You can take any stream you want in your intermediate as well as in your graduation, it dosen't matter.
Eligibility of Civil Services Examination is Graduation in any stream from any recognized board of India.
So take the stream you are interested in.
You must google about Civil Services of India for getting all the information which you should know for preparing for it.
2nd May 2016, 05:21 PM
asha2016

IAS Means Indian Administrative Services. This examination is conducted by Union Public Services Commission known as Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT ).
There are two types of Examination for IAS .such as
1. Preliminary Test.
2. Mains Examination.
For IAS Examination there is no restriction of any subject in Graduation.Candidates should have passed Graduate Degree in any stream science, Arts or Commerce from recognized University . So You can do Graduation in any stream what you want.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?