26th February 2011, 03:12 AM
ALIVIA GUIN

Tips to prepare for Group Discussion and Interview?

How to prepare for gd & interviews?

26th February 2011, 06:49 AM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Tips to prepare for Group Discussion and Interview?

For the Group Discussion round it is important to have good general awareness. It is important to know all about the recent developments across the world. For the Interview round the candidate can be asked both technical and non technical questions. So refresh memory on the areas studied. Also it is important to visit the company website and know about its operations and other details.
26th February 2011, 10:37 AM
melwynjensen
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: Tips to prepare for Group Discussion and Interview?

hello friend...

Preparing for GD and interview is quite easy... i myself attended some 4 to 5 GD and interview rounds in MNC companies.. got rejected in 3.. but i use to clear GD rounds quite easily by following one important secret that is being CONFIDENT and to speak without any hesitation... In GD you will checked for 3 important skills...

1) Ability to play as a team player.

2) Communication skills. (Ability to convey what you have in your mind )

3) Leadership skills. ( To lead the team )

And interview will be divided into two important types...

1 ) Technical Interview - where you have to good in your basics of your subjects that will be more than enough to win over this round...

2 ) HR Interview - If you have cleared GD and Technical round then you for sure clear this round but sometimes people get rejected in this round too.. In this round you will be checked whether you can fit in the company at any situation... sometimes HR interview will be changed as Stress interview.. where in they will check your patience...

I have attached a file for GD tips which you have to follow while being in a Group Discussion.. and attached two important books which talks about preparing for interview process.. hope it helps for your preparation..

All the Best...
26th February 2011, 10:43 AM
goldin

For GD
collect 10 topics . . prepare like essay then practise it will helpful for you
For interview
prepare to say about yourself
26th February 2011, 11:24 AM
anncie10

Thumbs up Re: Tips to prepare for Group Discussion and Interview?

Hi,

Group Discussions and interviews are held with an aim to assess your communication skills, attitude and your technical knowledge on the topics.

As far as GD is concerned here are a few pointers which i can suggest you ,
  • Be well to do about current affairs, some companies do ask topics regarding latest events, say for example how to curb the present inflation crisis, in this case you should be ready with all facts as to what is the current inflation figures who are the people in the ministry to help curb inflation , various policies, etc,,
  • Try reading some topics on the net on current gd topics so that you get a hang on what you would be getting on the day of gd.
  • It is always said that you should start the gd to get more points and get the job, it is not true in all cases. Though you start first if you are not clear in articulating your ideas then it is going to be a major blunder, so in case you are not sure about the topic just give lead to some one else and you can pick up at any point in the gd.
  • From my experience i can tell you that GD is about talking the right thing in the right tone. Just put yourself in front of the mirror and try to speak our loud to understand your body language and tone of speech
  • Body language is very very important in both gd an interview , Do not cross your legs, sit straight and erect.

As Far as Interview is concerned,
  • Please be aware that you have 2 kinds of interviews basically , one is hr and one is technical,
  • In HR they try to understand your attitude and access your fit into the organization, so be positive and try to showcase some pointers where the interviewer finds that you are the best for the company.
  • In technical be sure you are confident on your field of study. Be thorough in all concepts , they may ask you anything,
  • In both the above interview types they can be further classified as normal interviews and stress interviews,
  • In stress interview they try to stress you , they try to test your patience, please be polite and undergo them, For example they might even humiliate you by tearing the resume, ( i faced this situation ) , but if you undergo it patiently then you can get the job. I got an offer in infosys and mine was a stress interview,

I hope the above helps

Start preparing. Do justice to yourself and you can surely win.
26th February 2011, 11:30 AM
arvind.aggarwal132

Arrow Re: Tips to prepare for Group Discussion and Interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIVIA GUIN View Post

Our attitude plays a vital role in the Group Discussion and interview. One need a preparation for this like as a written exam.It tests the candidate's team spirit, his behavior, decision making ability, listening, views.

Some tips to be keep in mind when taking part in a group discussion:

If you have sound knowledge of the subject, you should initiate the discussion as it will be first impression to employer.

We should maintain eye contact and try to seek attention from everyone by making valid views.

Give your views simple and understandable in polite manner.

If you have a point to make for or against somebody's comments, wait till they have completed their speech.

Always carry a pen and a notepad with you while participating in a group discussion.

Never try to dominate other speakers in a discussion and always maintain a positive body language.

Keep an eye on your watch and when the discussion exceeds the allotted time, be the first person to conclude the discussion.
26th February 2011, 01:53 PM
pops07
Senior Member+++++

Here I have listed some Do's and Don'ts tips for GD:

DO's For a GD :-

1. SPEAK(very important).

2. Be a good listener.

3. Address the whole group,not a single person...

4. Initiate & Begin - BUT only if you have a good point.

5. Utilize the time when others are quite.

6. Be Involved.

DON'Ts For a GD :

1. Don't be INERT or IDLE.

2. But don't be too AGGRESSIVE.

3. Avoid one to one discussions.

4. Don't Rush.

5. Avoid Hindi.

6. Don't Interrupt Abruptly ... to calm down the situation, say

" you are right..............but I Think ..........."

7. Don't mix your personal emotions in GD

8. Never conclude the topic, until it is asked to do so.

GD - Points to remember :

1. communication skills.

2. Analysis : supported by facts & examples.
Thinking a few minutes before starting of a GD....

3. Content : Obtain by good reading.

4. Team Work.

5.Demeanor : Body Language counts, don't sit cross-legged, don't pose like a lazy or tired person

6. Leadership : People should listen and agree to you..
don't feel anyone is better than you.

7. Try to smile.....

Now here I have listed some Do's and Don'ts tips for Interview:

DO's For a Interview:-

1. Be as natural as possible. Be yourself.

2. Take time to organize your thoughts. Think of what you are going to say.

3. Your body language says a lot about you - your gestures and mannerisms are more likely to reflect your attitude than what you say.

4.Always be polite.

5. Say what you know exactly....

6. Do take criticism gracefully.

7. Do remember the interviewer's name and use it during the interview. It makes a good impression.

DON'Ts For a Interview:-

1. Don't be overbearing, overaggressive.

2. Don't show a lack of interest or enthusiasm.

3. Don't emphasize money as your main interest in the job.

4. Don't display a marked dislike for schoolwork.

5. Don't be late to the interview.

6. Don't glorify your past experiences

7. Don't smoke, chew gum, etc. even if offered or if the interviewer does so.
26th February 2011, 01:59 PM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

Tips to prepare for Group Discussion and Interview?

Group Discussion Is the Game of Memory And Knowledge And Make Sure That It Is Not a Part of Subject It Is Purely based on Our knowledge.

So, If You Are Interested To Prepare for GD, Then The Best Solution Is To Read the Newspaper And Magzines Daily Only then You will Be Able to face the GD.

GD is Only Based on The Knowledge And If You Will Update From The Current News And Happenings, Then You will Be Able to Face GD.

So, Please Read the Newspaper And Gain Some Knowledge, So That You will Be Able to Face the Group Discussio, It Simply A Mind Game, If You Have A Knowledge And Facts Than You Will Easily Face the GD.

So, Basically GD is Not A Book That You Will Be Master On It One Day.

You Required Lots Of Past Year Knowledge Only then You will Face the GD, Otherwise You Will Not Clear The GD Round In Your Life. So, Start Newspaper And Magzines Daily, Only Then You Will Be Able to Face the GD And Interview.

GD And Interview Both Are Based On Knowledge, Not Of Book Knowledge But You Have A External Knowledge, Only then You Will Be Able to Clear Your GD And Interview In Your Life. So, Please Start Your Preperation From Now, If You Really Want A Good Jobs In Future.

All The Best

Rahul K
26th February 2011, 02:18 PM
arvind_singh
Banned

group discussion :

1.say sir or madam to everyone whenever you interrupt them
2.let everyone speak
3.don't speak useless thing .
4.do not try to make stories.

interview :

1.be confident
2.don't hesitate
3.don't try to fool them .just show what you are ..
4.if they ask something and you don't know the answer just tell them sorry or i don't know
26th February 2011, 04:43 PM
foreturner
Senior Member+

well first of all you need to develop self confidence.

Only confident people are able to express what they feel and know

in GD and PI... its no use having knowledge and capability if you can not

show them to others.

so indulge in general discussion among friends ,present your points and views with

confidence and authority, spear more and more and also let others speak.

Now coming to building up knowledge and confidence you need to

read a lot from newspapers books magazines .. and also on personality development.

you should read topper interviews and see how well they think

and whats their success mantra... also prepare some responses for standard

responses for general questions like
1. Tell me about yourself
2. why do you want to join us
3. Tell me your weakness and strength.
4. your hobbies
etc.
29th March 2011, 10:37 PM
soumyasmruti

Location: Flat No:- 205, Omm Ville, Shree vihar, BHUBANESWAR, Orissa, India

The links below will help you more to know how to prepare for GD & PI

http://gdpi.ascenteducation.com/

http://www.careerlauncher.com/pegasus/mba/gd.html

ALL THE BEST
30th March 2011, 05:22 PM
rajilakshman

http://gdpi.ascenteducation.com/india-mba/group-discussion.shtml

http://placementpapers.net/helpingroot/tips/How-To-Prepare-For-Group-Discussion

Tips to prepare for Group Discussion and Interview are clearly mentioned in the above links....

check the link for detailed information
31st March 2011, 09:19 PM
surendergora
Senior Member++++

For gd and interview , you have good confidence which only comes if you have good knowledge of the topic and fluency in speaking, so prepare well for the topic and do practice with friends.
23rd May 2011, 01:22 PM
apara101

Quote:
Originally Posted by melwynjensen View Post
hello friend...

Preparing for GD and interview is quite easy... i myself attended some 4 to 5 GD and interview rounds in MNC companies.. got rejected in 3.. but i use to clear GD rounds quite easily by following one important secret that is being CONFIDENT and to speak without any hesitation... In GD you will checked for 3 important skills...

1 ) Technical Interview - where you have to good in your basics of your subjects that will be more than enough to win over this round...

2 ) HR Interview - If you have cleared GD and Technical round then you for sure clear this round but sometimes people get rejected in this round too.. In this round you will be checked whether you can fit in the company at any situation... sometimes HR interview will be changed as Stress interview.. where in they will check your patience...

I have attached a file for GD tips which you have to follow while being in a Group Discussion.. and attached two important books which talks about preparing for interview process.. hope it helps for your preparation..

All the Best...

sir,
while in a group discussion, words which we use casually do not seem to have the desired impact. could you suggest some common words which are frequently used in a gd and can make a great impact.
another thing i wanted to ask was how can i introduce myself so that i stand out amongst the others??
22nd August 2011, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

i want to know about case study type group discussion for icici bank
7th November 2011, 10:38 PM
VegaSridhar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIVIA GUIN View Post
Hi,

Coming to interview, interviewer expect you to answer atleast 65-75% of questions asked.

If it is technical round, show the interest to give answers and be specific about your answer. Don't beat around the bush as they need to ask so many such questions to hundreds of students.If you don't know any answer the best way to answer such question is "Sorry Sir, I don't know".

Coming to HR interview, the only principle which can give you success is"Be Yourself". Don't try to imitate others answers. Give out your honest answers.

Even in GD, take the initiative. Give out the genuine points that contribute the discussion and those points that can take the discussion forward.

Be a team player first then become leader.

Vega Sridhar
14th March 2012, 05:51 PM
kaveribiswas

Good luck............
15th March 2012, 09:21 PM
Unregistered

i have a querry regarding the interview , i have done m.sc. in physics
if the interviewer asks me as u have done pg in physics then why do u want to become a po instead of lect. or prof.
plz. suggest me the best answer i am going to face po iterview .
27th February 2013, 01:44 AM
Unregistered

if dey ask why do you want to join us ...what to answer??
and as a fresher what should we answer for salary expectations????
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?