31st December 2015, 01:05 PM
Unregistered

Whether the rate of interest against Bank Education Loan is setup by RBI?

Dear Sir/Mam,

I am Manish Mehta and I am going to get admission in a B.Tech college. I am also going to apply for a Bank Education Loan. Can you tell me that the rate of interest which Banks takes against Education Loan is set by RBI? If not who does it?

Can someone please give me the information soon?

Related Questions:
  1. Why I have to repay with higher interest rate if opted for Fixed rate to study in Abroad through Education Loan provided by Indian Bank? Is there any Norms of RBI related to Fixed/Floating Interest Rates for Nationalized Banks?
  2. Is there any curriculum of RBI in Fixed and Floating Interest rates for Nationalized Banks?
  3. Which Bank offer cheapest Interest rates against Education Loan of Rs. 15 Lacs? Which is among Floating and Fixed interest rates better if want to repay before 1 year completing of education?
  4. Which Bank offered cheapest Interest rates against Education Loan of Rs. 15 Lacs? Which is among Floating and Fixed interest rates better if want to repay before 1 year completing of education?
  5. Which Bank offer Education Loan with low interest rate to study B.Tech?
  6. Can I get exemption in Interest rates of Bank Education Loan to study B.Tech being a ST candidate?
  7. Documents required to submit for Bank Education Loan to study M.Tech? For what period of time I can repay Bank Education Loan? Interest rates charged against it?
  8. Which Bank provides Education Loan with Low Interest Rate to study B.Tech?
  9. What is rate of interest of Education Loan? On what basis it is applied?
  10. Interest rates charges against Education Loan in State Bank of India for a candidate who want to study B.Tech in IIT?
  11. Bank loan for further studies after BA (distance course)? Bank interest rate and procedure of loan? -- [Most Discussed]
  12. How can I get Bank Education Loan with low interest rate to study MBBS in Russia? Mode of repayment?
  13. From when should I start repayment of my Education Loan taken against B.Tech course? Latest Education Loan rate of interest?
  14. Can I apply for Education Loan for higher education if completed B.E. with Bank Education Loan?
  15. How much interest will be charged on Education Loan to study MDS? Detailed information about Mode of Repayment? -- [Most Discussed]
  16. Detailed information about RBI Risk Weightage on Education Loan?
  17. Detailed information about RBI Risk Weightage on Education Loan?
  18. Detailed information about RBI Risk Weightage on Education Loan?
31st December 2015, 08:48 PM
SudeepKumarSaha
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Whether the rate of interest against Bank Education Loan is setup by RBI?

Yes, the rate of interest is fixed by Reserve Bank of India. It is the nominal rate of interest which is fixed by Reserve Bank of India and most of the banks offer that rate of interest only. However, banks have the privilege of certain flexibility in the rate of interest as they can increase upto a certain limit but usually banks go with the minimum rate which is sustaining in the market to live upto the competition with the other banks. However, State Bank of India charges one percent lower interest than other banks. The usual range of interest rate is 13-14.5 percent.
1st January 2016, 11:23 PM
Prince8645
Senior Member+

Default Re: Whether the rate of interest against Bank Education Loan is setup by RBI?

The rate of interest taken against Education loan from students is set by concerned banks but it indirectly depends and is under control of Reserve Bank of India. For example, if repo rate is high, banks will increase its rate of interest on Education loan.

Repo rate is rate of interest at which RBI sanctions loans to different public and private sector banks. So, indirectly repo rate which is set by RBI affects personal and corporate loan. Education loan comes under personal loan.

However, you will not have to pay interest on education loan while pursuing course and one year more after completion of course as central government gives interest subsidy to banks for duration in which student pursue their course.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?