18th September 2012, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Can I do HM without writing the entrance exam?

sir......m interested in ihm....so can I do h.m without writing the entrance exam.....and plz suggest me.....

5th March 2013, 07:51 PM
kshreyaa
Senior Member+

Default Re: Can I do HM without writing the entrance exam?

There are multiple job profiles in hotel management and depending upon the candidates' education, work experience, the positions are offered. However, in order to work in top level or middle-level management candidates must have a degree in travel management. Whereas some hotels hire graduates straight from universities, some other hotels hire only trained hotel management graduates. Candidates can do degree course in hotel management soon after 10+2 which are offered by various hotel management institutes.

The minimum selection criteria for an undergraduate course in hotel management is 10+2 with 50% marks. However, candidates who do not have 50% marks in +2 can do diploma or certificate course in hotel management which are being offered by various institutes. Additionally, some hotels provide training cum job placement and candidates who do not have other options can opt for it. Indian hotel management institutes conduct entrance exams before selecting the candidates for various courses.

Start Early

Students looking for a career in hotel management should have strong communication skills, reasoning skills, numerical aptitude and pleasing personality. Therefore, if some candidate is lacking in these skills, he must inculcate them in him and for that starting early definitely helps. Many students start preparing for entrance exams conducted by IHMs soon after their 10th board. Similarly, those who wish to go for higher studies in hotel management can do Masters in Hotel Management; for MHM the person is required to have BHM.

Is it the Right Career for Me?

Before jumping to any decision to select hotel management as a career option, it is always advised to analyse pros and cons, growth prospects, matching of work-profile with personality traits, etc. If the candidate is not willing to work in various profiles he may not be suitable for it as in hotel management an employee may be asked to work in management, food and beverage service, housekeeping, front office operation, sales and marketing, accounting or any other department depending upon the specific requirement.

What would it Cost Me?

Depending upon the rank and reputation of hotel management college the fee is charged from candidates. Whereas Garden City College at Bangalore charges around Rs 3,50,000 for the three year graduate course, Christ College in the same city ask candidates to pay Rs 48,0000 per semester for 4 year BHM course. Similarly, a graduate course in hotel management at IHM Chennai can cost Rs 37,500 per semester. Students who are not willing to shell hefty amount on the courses from top notch hotel management institute may go for diploma courses offered by the same institutes.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?