16th December 2011, 07:03 PM

Does OBC category come under General Merit?

Obc category is come under general merit?

16th December 2011, 08:44 PM
Hours

Default Re: Does OBC category come under General Merit?

NO,
there are 3 category in india
one is general
second is OBC
third is SC/ST.

Actually so many caste is taken under the category of the OBC
because of this OBC people are equivalent to the general people.

otherwise both are different categories.
16th December 2011, 09:04 PM
ravik1214
Senior Member++++

Thumbs up Re: Does OBC category come under General Merit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Obc category is come under general merit?
Does OBC category come under General Merit?

OBC stands for Other Backward Classes and doesn't come under General Merit list .Infact it has its own reservation means some seats are reserved specially for OBC candidate But there is no any provision of any reservation for general category students.

According to "The Times of India" on 31 August 2010, even after 17 years, at most 7% of seats[clarification needed] have been filled by OBCs, regardless of their 27% reservation.

Some common reservation benefits of OBC

• In civil services OBC candidates enjoy an age relaxation of 3 years .
  • Number of attempts in civil services are also 7 .Please note that it is just 4 for general category students.
  • In several entrance exams also the qualifying marks varies .For example - if qualifying marks for general category students is 100 then generally for OBC , it will be 78

With Regards
ravik1214
16th December 2011, 09:36 PM
saasmari
Senior Member++

Dear pal,
obc category is different from that of general category. Obc includes backward caste they have reservation in all the government jobs and entrance exam. Due to the fact that they were depressed in the past.
Reservation is done in order to raise the standard of the people. Aspirants in bc community will not be given reservation if they do not have certificate for proof.
They are given reservation for the government jobs namely in upsc exam, in public sector jobs etc. They are also given reservation in the admission in the courses namely engineering, doctor etc. All the best.
17th December 2011, 02:56 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Hi

OBC is the Other Backward Classes category i.e its for those people who have been in any particular state for over 100 years now, and have been backward throughout.

They are poor, and do not have proper means that the rich and privileged class of people have. And the government doesn't do much about their development and so they have provided them with Reservation.

So the OBC is a separate category all together and it doesn't come under the merit of the General Candidates.

On the other hand the General Category people and candidates do not have any reservation under the government of India jobs and colleges/universities.

Reservation is the scheme that the government gives a particular %age of available seats in the government jobs and colleges.

Some of the examples are :

1. The Age limit for the Civil Services Examinations for the OBC candidates are relaxed to 21-33 years. Whereas it is just 21-30 years for the GEN.

2. The no. of attempts given to the OBC are 7, whereas the GEN have only 4.

and many more such reservations are made..

Hope its clear.
17th December 2011, 06:52 PM
sowmyaashree

OBC stands for other backward class.
OBC category is different from General merit.
Candidates belonging to OBC category have some age relaxation and fee conseation while applying to Government jobs as well as while taking some entrance exams.
To uplift the backward community candidates Government has given this opportunity.
For eg: There is a relaxation of about three years for OBC in UPSC exam (upto 33 years) whereas there is no relaxation for general merit candidates (general age limit is 21 - 30 years)
And also OBC candidates can attend for seven times whereas general merit candidates can attend only four times in UPSC exams.
While getting admission to some course or colleges also OBC candidates have some reservation.
2nd January 2012, 09:13 PM
Unregistered

GENERAL PEOPLE HAVE NO RIGHT ONLY BACKWARD CLASS GET GOVT JOBS IN RESERVATION ITS SHAMELESS GOVERNMENT AND LAW, THATSWHY INDIA REMAIN BACKWARD IN DEVELOPMENT, THEY ARE GIVING JOBS WHO ARE NOT DESERVE FOR THE POSTS THOSE WHO DESERVE I.E GENERAL PEOPLE NOT GETTING ANY FAVOUR FROM GOVT ITS BIAS TOWARDS SC\ST, OBC AND GENERAL PEOPLE. SHAME ON YOU GOVT
4th January 2012, 06:38 PM
Unregistered

It is not like that even general category will also have the opportunity but there will be some relaxation to other category like OBC, SC and ST. It is not that general will not have a chance to get government job there will have the chance but there will be competation for the government jobs.
31st January 2012, 08:52 AM
Unregistered

does the muslims from andhra pradesh come under obc in civil services selection process??
31st January 2012, 05:54 PM
Shivam.Tiwari

OBC stands for Other Backward Classes and does not come under General merit list.
But some seats are always reserved for OBCs in many jobs.
31st May 2012, 08:33 PM
Unregistered

SIR, i am an OBC canditate for AIEEE but i didnt know that i ws obc ..... i recently got to know this and so i made my certificate for obc..... but i hav attempted AIEEE through general category........ i score 150 marks..... as there is no option for AIEEE category change option for aieee results,,,, is there any solution for this during counselling .....if i am able to present them the certificate will the college give me seat after seeing my marks and corressponding OBC rank...
16th June 2012, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

sir i am poor but i belong to brahmin community. do i get any sort of reservation
1st July 2012, 10:13 AM
Unregistered

sir does vyashyas category come under general merit?
9th May 2013, 12:08 PM
Unregistered

sudheer reddy.sanaga@i want to know obc category
3rd August 2013, 09:44 PM
Unregistered

does bc come under general category
11th December 2013, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

i hav e confusion about obc and general categoty.why b'coz iam belongs to bcd caste so which one i hav e to select obc or general tell me the answer
25th January 2014, 11:28 AM
Unregistered

3B cat comes in Gen under central govt?
15th February 2014, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

sir does vyashyas category comes under
general merit? or what ? replay me as soon as possible.
17th July 2014, 08:30 PM
Unregistered

I am come under the OBC,but if there is no vacancy for OBC and only general vacancies are available.
But age issue if I applied under General category.I am above age in Genera.IF OBC then not age issue.So I want to apply as OBC as general category.So
will it possible to me?
22nd February 2015, 11:38 AM
Unregistered

My caste is Hindu Lingayat of Karnataka my father income is 470000 whther i have to select OBC 3rd B or General Merrit In filling CET karnataka im Confused please answer me
12th June 2015, 11:47 AM
Unregistered

My caste is Hindu lingayat in karnataka I have selected gm in cet and the income is 600000 how to know the gmail.com seats in cet
12th June 2015, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

My caste is Hindu lingayat in karnataka I have selected the gm in cet and the income is 600000 how to know the cet gm seats 2015
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?