5th June 2010, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

How to select optional subjects for Civil Services examination? How to prepare well for the examination?

want to be an IAS officer.want to get some tips how to prepare myself & nourish myself to face IAS exam & how many optional subjects we have to opt for IAS exam?

27th February 2011, 08:35 AM
jits
Senior Member++++

Default Re: How to select optional subjects for Civil Services examination? How to prepare well for the examination?

There are no optional subjects in your preliminary examination.The syllabus is provided below in the attachment.

For the preliminary examination you need to prepare History,Geography,English which are subjects covering majority of the marks.Hence its better that you go through the NCERT books of 10th Standard,CBSE.Even prefer books of Goyal Brother's for History and Geography part.Based on the syllabus part for the Mains prefer standard books.If you feel tough in self preparation then some of the coaching centers which can go through are:-
Ujjwal IAS Academy,CLASSIC IAS ACADEMY,JTS Institute,Khan Study Group.

All these Institutes are situated in Delhi.If you wish to join in a Institute in your area then make sure that you join the Institute based on the last year results,number of toppers,quality materials provided.

If selected for the prelims you will be called for the Mains where you need to choose a optional subject out of 26 subjects.Its better that you choose any one of the subject in which you have complete your degree from a recognized University.The other details are given in the attachments below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf notification-civil-service-exam-2011.pdf(346.9 KB, 246 views)
File Type: pdf CSAT-Syllabus-for-UPSC-Prelims-2011.pdf(61.9 KB, 223 views)
27th February 2011, 09:52 AM
sanjay kumar saini
Senior Member+

Default Re: How to select optional subjects for Civil Services examination? How to prepare well for the examination?

Hi,

The Indian Civil Service serves as the backbone of India and carries great respect and responsibilities. India's best brains vie for entry into the Indian Civil Services as officers.

There are two paper in civil service exam-
In Prelims paper there are no optional subject.you should study all topic of syllabus.

Syllabus for Prelims paper is attached with it download it from here.

Syllabus for main exam is also attached with it download it from here.

Tips on IAS Preparation

Time Management
How To Prepare For Prelims
How to Prepare Notes
How to Write Answers
Gaining Mental Power for UPSC
How to Read for the IAS

you should consider all these tips for selection in IAS.
Attached Files
File Type: docx UPSC main subject.docx(17.4 KB, 184 views)
File Type: docx Preliminary syllabus of UPSC Examination Syllabus 2011.docx(14.0 KB, 149 views)
27th February 2011, 10:20 AM
priyanka_swengg
Senior Member+++++

Smile Re: How to select optional subjects for Civil Services examination? How to prepare well for the examination?

This time UPSC pattern is changed and it is called as CSAT which is coming into effect from Civil Services Examination, 2011.and so there is no option subjects...

It consits of two paper and each paper of Two hrs..which is common for all

(Paper 1) (200 marks) consists of
Current events.
History
Geography
Indian Polity and governance
Economic and social development
and General science.

(Paper II) (200 marks)
Comprehension
Logical reasoning and analytical ability
Decision making and problem solving
General mental ability
Basic numeracy(Class X level)
English language comprehension skills (Class X level)
27th February 2011, 04:29 PM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hello friend,
The IAS exam comprises of three stages
Preliminary Exam
Main Exam
Interview
The preliminary exam has been replaced by Civil Service Aptitude Test from the current year. The aptitude test is designed to check the candidates intelligence, reasoning sense, argumentative capacity, aesthatic sense, analytical ability and command over a language.
The main exam for the IAS comprises of compulsory and optional subjects.
The compulsory subjects for the Main exam are one Indian language, English, Essay and General studies.
As far as optional papers are concerned, you will have to choose any two subjects out of the following list
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Mechanical Engineering Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.
Depending upon your interest and expertise, you may choose optional subjects.

Following combination of subjects are not allowed
Political Science & International Relations and Public Administration;

Commerce & Accountancy and Management;
Anthropology and Sociology;
Mathematics and Statistics;
Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science.
Management and Public Administration;
Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science and Medical Science.
Two engineering subjects

To prepare well for the exam, you must be aware of current affairs. Their are many books available in the market which will help you to prepare for the exam. Apart from the books, you may also enroll yourself in a good institutes for the same.
27th February 2011, 07:50 PM
omprakash sharma

Hi,
There are no optional subjects in your preliminary examination.The syllabus is provided below in the attachment.

For the preliminary examination you need to prepare History,Geography,English which are subjects covering majority of the marks.Hence its better that you go through the NCERT books of 10th Standard,CBSE.Even prefer books of Goyal Brother's for History and Geography part.Based on the syllabus part for the Mains prefer standard books.If you feel tough in self preparation then some of the coaching centers which can go through are:-

All these Institutes are situated in Delhi.If you wish to join in a Institute in your area then make sure that you join the Institute based on the last year results,number of toppers,quality materials provided.

If selected for the prelims you will be called for the Mains where you need to choose a optional subject out of 26 subjects.Its better that you choose any one of the subject in which you have complete your degree from a recognized University.The other details are given in the attachments below.
5th March 2011, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

hello....... am doing my b-tec 2nd year..... i am very much intrested in doin civils..... am an average student.........
my question is.......
am i algible for writing civils...? if yes
whn should i start preparining for the exam...?
nd what optional subjects should i choos...?
8th March 2011, 04:44 PM
Unregistered

hai..iam doing my b.tech in chemical engg....my life time goal is becoming an ias officer....sooo plz suggest me when to start my preparation...? and how to approach for the exam after b.tech..?
21st April 2011, 11:22 AM
Unregistered

what is the procedure followed to prepare for civils and what is the eligibility
30th April 2011, 04:50 PM
Unregistered

name of optional subject for ias pre exam
1st May 2011, 01:37 PM
scadians

hello sir, I am working in a construction company,,,,,, but I want to become a ias officer,,,,,, I finished my b.e eee degree in 2009 ,,,,,, I feel my memory power is low to study this exam,,,,,, so give me some idea to improve memory power and how I recall my subjects which I was studied in collage days
27th May 2011, 04:54 PM
Unregistered

Hello sir, i hav finished my hsc exam this year.my ambition is to become an IAS officer. i heared that the basic requirement is a degree.now i have 3 years time in between.so i request u to tell me the ways of training myself in the following years.please sir
27th May 2011, 05:04 PM
Unregistered

hai.i just finished my hsc examination this year.my ambition is to become an IAS officer.i heared that the basic requirement is a degree.but i have 3 years of time in between.i request u to tel me the ways of preparing from now onwards. please!
2nd June 2011, 04:51 AM
Unregistered

Hi i am d stdnt of biosciences dis z my final yr plz tl me dat which sbjct should i choose fr my preperation nd hw should i prepare for ias exam?
4th July 2011, 01:57 PM
Unregistered

respected sir,
i have done my engg in electronics from a private college n intrested in civil services.I want to appear in civil services 2012..so pls gide me the right set of optional subjects and best coaching institute,study materials and books required.
will be very thankful to you.....
16th July 2011, 01:41 PM
Unregistered

any chances of having IT OR Computer related subjects in IAS 2012 as Main subjects
17th July 2011, 05:34 PM
Unregistered

What's the procedure to join IAS after matriculation .
21st September 2011, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

i am studying the b.com in distance education. how to select optional subjectfor civil servicesw exam?
10th October 2011, 03:46 PM
Unregistered

What are the subjects included in Commerce?
28th November 2011, 04:07 PM
tuntunia

25th December 2011, 12:13 PM
Shnaiya Zeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyanka_swengg View Post
This time UPSC pattern is changed and it is called as CSAT which is coming into effect from Civil Services Examination, 2011.and so there is no option subjects...

Current events.
History
Geography
and General science.

(Paper II) (200 marks)
Comprehension
General mental ability

which books we prefer for these papers,plz tel dat????
15th February 2012, 06:29 PM
puchu007

Current events.
History
Geography
and General science.

(Paper II) (200 marks)
Comprehension
General mental ability
8th June 2012, 12:48 PM
Unregistered

sir
I am doing economics hons but me gole to become an ias.plz told me that in spite of that what me study and told me abut the some good books for ias preparation
3rd December 2013, 04:37 PM
Unregistered

hi, im Harsha
I have completed my bbm & mba ( Marketing and finance) have work experience of 2 yrs, now i have decided to completely dedicate my time for ias or kas ( karnataka administrative service ) could you please guide me what has to be my electives . i have no interest for finance . and i want to serve the police in particular it could be ips, ac , sub inspector anything but related to police . please guide me .
15th April 2014, 01:01 AM
singh gracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
want to be an IAS officer.want to get some tips how to prepare myself & nourish myself to face IAS exam & how many optional subjects we have to opt for IAS exam?
Hi , selection of optional subject is very crucial in IAS preparartion especially in present set up . In general there are certain criteria -
1. academic background - for that you should have very good command
2. short syllabus
3. scoring
4. other benefits like GS , ESSAY , INTERVIEW

According to me philosophy will be very good choice if you are not going for your parent subject . Nowadays many engineers , doctors are taking this and giving wonderful results.

Best institute for philosophy coaching for IAS exam is MITRA'S IAS located in old rajendra nagar , delhi .
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?