5th September 2013, 10:12 PM
ujjwal faujdar

How to start preparation for IES and GATE exam? I am a B.Tech 1st year

I am in b.tech 1st year.I am studen of civil branch.How I start preparation for ies and gate exam? Please tell some book also for this.how I improve my English?

Related Questions:
15th July 2015, 12:37 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How to start preparation for IES and GATE exam? I am a B.Tech 1st year

Civil Engineering is one of the core streams of Engineering. This stream of engineering has lots of career opportunities and jobs in public and private sector.

IES is the Indian Engineering Services. UPSC conducts this entrance exam every year for the engineering aspirants. GATE is the Graduate Aptitude test in Engineering. It is conducted by Indian Institute of Technology, score and rank of GATE exam is used to take admission in IIT and other engineering institutes for admission in M.Tech and for jobs in public sector Undertakings.

Right now you are in first year of engineering, so its the perfect time to start your preparation. Indian Engineering Services consists of General ability test, Objective papers and Conventional papers from engineering subjects.

GATE is an objective test and is of 100 marks consisting of 65 questions from mathematics, aptitude and core streams of engineering. If you prepare for IES exam, then almost good preparation for GATE exam is also done as syllabus are quite similar. From my point of view, you should join IES+GATE coaching in MADE EASY.

It is the best institute for preparation of both these exams. Self study is also necessary along with coaching. You should focus on concepts of technical subjects so that you can score well in the exam. Read daily newspapers for better vocabulary, current affairs etc. For improving follow English Grammar by Wren and Martin. Have conversation in English in your group for better fluency in English.

Best books for Civil Engineering:

>>Strength of Material by Gere and Timonshenko.

>>Steel Design by L.S Negi

>>R.C.C Design by B.C Punamia.

>>Environmental Engineering by S.K Garg.

>>Hydrology Engineering by K. Subramanyam.

>>Irrigation Engineering by S.K Garg.

>>Highway Engineering by Khanna and Justo.

>>Soil Mechanics by Gopal Ranjan and Rao.
18th July 2015, 01:28 PM
ganiebizer
Senior Member+

Default Re: How to start preparation for IES and GATE exam? I am a B.Tech 1st year

IES:-
Indian Engineering Service , it is conducted by UPSC .
UPSC:-
Union Public Service Commission.
GATE:-
Graduation Aptitude Test in Engineering ...
It is conducted. by IIT's for doing mtech in top colleges .
GATE consists if 100 marks , the following subjects are included
a) Quantitative and Altitude reasoning
b) Verbal Ability
c) core subjects in your branch .
For IES you should prepare
1) current affairs
apart from this remaining all are above in Gate ..

For improving communication skills I.e, command over English ..
a) you better watch movies with English subtitles
b) read newspaper
c)chat in English with your friends in social network websites..
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?