2nd September 2010, 01:24 PM
shikha1286

In IAS can those subjects which were not studied in graduation be selected?

Hello sir, I want to know that can we select those subject which we have not studied in graduation for IAS exams.

2nd September 2010, 04:10 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

Default Re: In IAS can those subjects which were not studied in graduation be selected?

HI!

Yes, of course you can select those subject which you have not studied in graduation for IAS exams.

You can select any subject/combination of subjects from the list of subjects available for the purpose as Optional Subjects for UPSC prelims & mains exam

However, the Following Combinations are NOT allowed by the UPSC

* Political Science & International relations and Pubilc Administration
* Commerce & Accountancy and Management
* Anthropopgy and Sociology
* Mathematics and Statistice
* Agriculture and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
* Management and Public Administration
* Any two branches of engineering
* Animal Husbandry & Veterimary Science and Mediacal Science
* Combination if two Literatures
2nd September 2010, 04:50 PM
chaitu667

Default Re: In IAS can those subjects which were not studied in graduation be selected?

Most probably all the candidates preparing for IAS may choose the subjects that what they have studied in their graduation. You were asking for the subjects that you haven't read in your graduation period. It is possible for IPS exams and for IAS it may be possible because all that we need is to complete our graduation and to get that graduate certificate. IAS is the next step to get into our career so usually we can select on our own intrest.
So you can choose other subjects that are connected with your graduation.
2nd September 2010, 04:50 PM
monu1

it is not necessary to select subjects studied in graduation you can select optional subjects according to your tase and ease most prefer political administration as optional one
2nd September 2010, 05:09 PM
swati123

I believe that you are aware of the change in the pattern of the Civil Services
Exam...2011 onwards there will be no optional subjects in the Prelims. In fact,
the first part of the CSE will take a different name, Civil Services Aptitude
Test (CSAT) and candidates will have to appear in two common objective type papers that will test their APTITUDE for the services while judging their
decision making ability.

It is being said that there will be no changes in the other two stages of the
Exam, at least in 2011. That being the case, like always, you will be free to
choose/select optionals that you have not studied during your graduation.
(Please refer to the website http://www.onestopias.com/exam-pattern.asp for
details on Main Exam Pattern)
2nd September 2010, 06:22 PM
robart
Senior Member+

dear friend,

yes of course.you can select those subject which you have not studied in graduation for IAS exams.

you are free to select any two subjects out of about 22 subjects prescribed by UPSC.

so select subjects of your interest.

good luck.
2nd September 2010, 08:15 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikha1286 View Post
Hello sir, I want to know that can we select those subject which we have not studied in graduation for IAS exams.
Yes, you can choose any of the listed optional subjects. No matter you have studied that subject in graduation or not. So, choose optional subject as per your interest.
You can visit following websites to know more about UPSC.
www.upsc.gov.in
www.civilservices.in
www.upscexam.com
www.upscportal.com
2nd September 2010, 08:51 PM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

yes,
you can select any two subjects from the list given by upsc,
there is no hard and fast rule that you select the subjects which you have taken in graduation
all the best
2nd September 2010, 08:56 PM
August
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: In IAS can those subjects which were not studied in graduation be selected?

dear friend

there are many streams those doesn't have any subject in IAS .

to be eligible you have to be a graduate.

in case if you don't have subjects in IAS that you have studied in graduation then you can take any other subject.

like for technical graduates only civil, mechanical, electrical, electronics subjects are there.

all the best.
2nd September 2010, 11:38 PM
sanjusabu

IN IAS EXAM THERE ARE 9 PAPERS WHICH YOU HAVE TO PREPARE.
PAPER I) ANY REGIONAL INDIAN LANGUAGE
II) ENGLISH
III) ESSAY
IV &V) GENERAL STUDIES ETC.
FROM VI,VII,VIII & IX PAPER ANY TWO OPTIONAL SUBJECT CAN BE SELECTED
IN TOTAL EXAM IS OF 2300 MARKS.
SO OFCOURSE YOU CAN SELECT WHATEVER SUBJECT YOU WANT BUT IT IS
ADVANTAGEOUS TO YOU IF YOU SELECT YOUR GRADUATION PAPER.
FOR IAS SYLLABUS AND EXAM PATTERN VISIT :-
http://www.indiastudychannel.com/resources/17335-IAS-EXAM-SYLLABUS.aspx
http://www.onestopias.com/subjects/
BEST OF LUCK.
2nd September 2010, 11:50 PM
asahu47
Senior Member+++

hi.
yes u can give those subjects.
but u mush have knlodge in them.....

good luck.
23rd September 2010, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

Can u tell me the no of students selected in IAS 2009 from Management as optional
27th September 2010, 11:35 AM
Unregistered

i have done my b.f.tech from national institue of fashion technology and my specialization is in apparel production. i want to know what subjects i should choose for cse 2011??? i should go for coaching or not?
28th September 2010, 04:22 PM
Unregistered

please tell me some of the good combinations of subjects for ias
27th February 2011, 12:19 PM
Unregistered

can u advice me best combination for commerce student i pursued my BBA last year should i opt for economics and statistics as my optional subject for my IAS paper
23rd March 2011, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

is it necessary to select any regional languages for IAS?
23rd March 2011, 03:11 PM
Unregistered

which subject should i choose with political science for IAS ?
24th March 2011, 08:42 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Thumbs up Re: In IAS can those subjects which were not studied in graduation be selected?

Yeah definitely...friend

UPSC encourages such students...and relaxed all such rules..

they need some intelligent brains apart from the bookish knowledge...

the pattern change is the symbol for that..

yes for sure

eventhough if you are from B.tech stream

you can select the subjects of ARTS or MBA

or anything else like that

best regards

~aditya~
25th March 2011, 04:38 PM
rks@estate
Senior Member+

Hello,

IAS (Indian Administrative Service) examination are conducted by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission).

In IAS examination, YES you can select those subjects which were not studied in graduation.

NOTE: - For more details & updated information visit www.upsc.gov.in

All the Best
2nd April 2011, 09:11 PM
Unregistered

which is the best subject for ias?
3rd April 2011, 09:30 PM
balathegreat
Senior Member+

YES. OPTIONAL SUBJECTS ARE OPTIONAL YOU CAN CHOOSE ANY SUBJECT YOU WANT. WHETHER IT IS IN YOUR GRADUATION OR NOT.

for your kind information the list of optional subjects are as follows.
Optional Subjects for Preliminary Examination:
Agriculture, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Botany, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Commerce, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Geography, Geology, Indian History, Law, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Science, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Sociology, Statistics and Zoology.

Optional Subjects for the Main Examination:
Agriculture, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Anthropology, Botany, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Commerce & Accountancy, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Geography, Geology, History, Law, Management, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Science, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science & International Relations, Psychology, Public Administration, Sociology, Statistics, Zoology, Literature of one of the following languages: Arabic, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Marathi, Malayalam, Manipuri, Nepali, Oriya, Pali, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Sanskrit, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu.
13th April 2011, 09:10 PM
akkilala
Member+

hi dar
Yes, you can choose any of the listed optional subjects. No matter you have studied that subject in graduation or not. So, choose optional subject as per your interest.
www.upsc.gov.in
www.civilservices.in
www.upscexam.com
www.upscportal.com
thank
14th April 2011, 02:38 PM
vijaypatel54
Senior Member+

www.upsc.gov.in
www.civilservices.in
www.upscexam.com
www.upscportal.com
26th April 2011, 07:34 PM
Unregistered

I am B.Sc(H) in Economics. Can I chose Economics and Statistics as optional subjects combination for civil service main examination?
5th May 2011, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

Sir, can you advice me with the new syllabus for mains examination
17th May 2011, 08:19 PM
Unregistered

is it necessary to select any language
2nd June 2011, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

I M GRADUATE IN PHARMACY .AFTER B.PHARMACY SHOULD I GO FOR IAAS TEST
6th July 2011, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

Iam graduate in pharmacy, what r the subjects to choose in IAS preliminary nd mains.
6th July 2011, 10:18 PM
ms00179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
is it necessary to select any regional languages for IAS?
yes friend you can take any subject in I.A.S. after graduation it totally depend on your taste ,what is best for you . IN IAS it is necessary to take 1 regional language which is declared as a regional language by constution of india.
6th July 2011, 10:45 PM
Ramjash
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikha1286 View Post
Dear Friend,

Of course yes, You can choose any one as per your choice.

But you have to work hard for the subjects which is not studied by you at the graduation level.

Choice is yours. All the best.

Regards,

Ramjash
3rd August 2011, 09:25 PM
Unregistered

sir
i have done btech and want to do ias preparation
i have interest in history but for optional suject i am confused in pub administration and economics even i have so much interest in ecnomics bt can i score good marks in it suggest me for these optional subject n also differrentiate these @ subjects
thanks
23rd August 2011, 07:50 PM
Unregistered

i passed b.f.tech national inst.of fashion technology(nift) what subject in ias
31st August 2011, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

I have done B.Tech. Can I go for Law as an optional by taking the help of good coaching institute ???
28th September 2011, 02:48 AM
Unregistered

sir is there any subject related to I.T. field in IAS
19th February 2012, 01:37 PM
Unregistered

sir i am student of computer engineering , i want to know there is any possible combination of geography and political science for main exam
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?