3rd April 2023, 03:33 PM
Unregistered

Computer Science or electronic and communications to become a good programmer?

Hi, Thread title seems to be weird, I will explain.. Actually, I am thinking about whether I should take ECE or CS, in order to become an advanced programmer. What I meant by advanced programmer is that who can develop driver for hardware, kernels for OS's or even a normal software.

With just CS, can I get very good posts such as driver or kernel developer or some other posts? or, Should I take ECE?

After taking EC, can I take MTech in CS?

What I wonder is that wouldn't it be difficult to learn hardware by oneself(After doing CSE)? Is the basics of hardware covered in CS? Would it be wiser to choose ECE then learn programming myself(or may be mtech in CS if possible)?

I am confused... Please help.

4th April 2023, 01:02 AM
SheldonPatrickEverson

Default Re: Computer Science or electronic and communications to become a good programmer?

Both computer science (CS) and electronics and communication engineering (ECE) can be good choices if you want to become an advanced programmer. However, the two fields have different focuses and can lead to different career paths.

CS is more focused on software development, algorithms, and programming languages. It covers a wide range of topics such as data structures, algorithms, operating systems, software engineering, and programming languages. With a CS degree, you can become a software developer, web developer, mobile app developer, or work in other software development roles. You can also develop drivers and kernels for hardware, but you may need to learn specific programming languages and tools for that.

ECE is more focused on hardware design, communication systems, and signal processing. It covers topics such as digital electronics, microprocessors, communication systems, and signal processing. With an ECE degree, you can become an embedded systems developer, hardware engineer, or work in other hardware-related roles. You can also learn programming and software development, but you may need to learn specific programming languages and tools for that.

Both CS and ECE cover some basics of hardware and software, but they have different focuses. If you want to become an advanced programmer who develops drivers and kernels for hardware, both CS and ECE can be good choices. However, you may need to learn specific programming languages and tools for that.

You can also pursue an MTech in CS after an ECE degree. However, you may need to fulfill certain prerequisites and take additional courses to catch up with the CS curriculum.

Ultimately, the choice between CS and ECE depends on your interests and career goals. If you are more interested in software development and programming, CS may be a better choice. If you are more interested in hardware design and communication systems, ECE may be a better choice. However, both fields can lead to exciting and rewarding careers in technology.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?