20th April 2019, 05:57 PM
Unregistered

Information and eligibility to appear 2nd Mate in United Kingdom

Respected Sir/Madam, I am about to finish my 36 months sea time. So what are the criteria to appear for 2nd Mate in United Kingdom? I want to appear in this exam so I need to know everything in details. Help me regarding this.

24th April 2019, 01:08 PM
Warrior6782
Senior Member+

Default Re: Information and eligibility to appear 2nd Mate in United Kingdom

Information and Eligibility to appear 2nd mate in United Kingdom:

Course information:

There are 3 batches in a year. Dates of these 3 batches for the current year 2019 are:

1) 14 January 2019
2) 15 April 2019
3) September 2019 (Exact Date of the month is not declared yet)

The total course duration works out to be 7 months excluding holiday period like Christmas. Easter and summer holidays. A student joining January or September batch can come back with his CoC in about 8 months period if he clears all his exams in time.

A student joining the April batch will come back with his CoC in about 10 months time because of the 2 months of summer holidays & 1 month of Christmas holidays within course duration.

Eligibility Requirements:

Minimum 36 months of sea service on merchant ships in an acceptable deck capacity for example trainee OS, AB, Bosun, Deck Cadet, Junior Officer etc. Whilst holding a valid medical fitness certificate recognized by MCA, UK.

You should have 6 months of documented bridge watch-keeping duties in your last 12 months of sailing.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?