29th April 2014, 09:42 PM
Unregistered

Which students are considered as NRI?

I Have studied in abroad for 2 classes i.e. 8&9 can if i will study 10 in abroad would i be considered as NRI or a normal student for studying higher studies in india?

Related Questions:
  1. Is it possible to continue high secondary in India after doing secondary studies in Saudi Arabia?
  2. What is the criteria for NRI students for admission in IIT? is there any separate entrance and quota for NRI students?
  3. Opportunities for NRI students in FTII?
  4. Is there any NRI quota in BITS Pilani for NRI students?
  5. How can NRI candidates apply for MHT CET? Last date of submission of forms for NRI students?
  6. Are NRI students allowed for EAMCET? What is the selection criteria? How much is the fee structure for NRI students in Medical Colleges?
  7. Criteria for NRI admission in SPA Delhi? Do NRI students have to appear for AIEEE and NATA?
  8. What is the criteria for NRI students for admission into IIT? Is there any separate entrance and quota for NRI student? -- [Most Discussed]
  9. Are there any seats for NRI sponsored students in AIIMS?
  10. NRI quota for MBBS in government medical of Tamilnadu? What is the yearly fees in government medical college of Tamilnadu for NRI students?
  11. What is the NRI student medical exam eligibility?
  12. What is the qualification for NRI quota for engineering?
  13. Is there any NRI quota in BITS Pilani?
  14. Can NRI student give PMET test? Are there any seats available for NRI students?
  15. Is there any NRI quota for MBBS in government medical college?
  16. Information on NRI admissions in India?
  17. How to join NRI quota? Procedure to join Anna University? I am an NRI student studying 12th in Muscat
  18. Will I be considered as an NRI? I've Mauritian passport along with OCI card and I've passed my 12th grade from Mauritius
15th May 2014, 08:03 AM
ExpertAnswers
Senior Member+++

Default Re: Which students are considered as NRI?

As you mentioned here about your problem that you want to know that who are or which category students are called as NRI students.

So for that I want to tell you that NRI is generally stand for “Non Resident Indian” so as the name suggest that the human who is an Indian nationality and being stayed in abroad for a long time he is said to be non-Indian but comes from abroad after staying 180days or above he or she is called as NRI.so you are saying here that you studies in abroad for 2 years that suggest that you are at abroad for 730 days as your 2years suggest.

So for that you are also called as NRI in India so for also study purpose you are also called as NRI student and taken as NRI. As this act is started or being introduced from 1891 from foreign ministry act for NRI section. And for NRI citizen many acts and rules also made for the NRIs.

And they should have to agree with that stays in India after coming from abroad study or business matter or anything you have to do in abroad. So you will call as NRI.
8th May 2017, 12:18 PM
Unregistered

I am working abroad for last 10 years but my family is staying in india will my children considered as NRI
11th May 2017, 10:15 AM
Unregistered

I am an NRI as per embassy saudi arabia, as i completed the necessary 6 months period, I want to sponsor my daughter in post graduate medicine in a NRI quota, is she eligible?
20th May 2017, 03:26 AM
harshandshubham

First of all, please understand that the regulation to decide on residential status here is FEMA and not the Income Tax Act.

Indian banks will consider you an NRI and re-designate your accounts IF you qualify as a person resident out of India, as defined in Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) of India. It has no relation to citizenship, visa etc.

According to Section 2(v) of FEMA, you'll qualify as resident out of India (NRI) if any of the following conditions are satisfied:

a) you have gone out of India or stay outside India for any purpose in such circumstances as would indicate your intention to stay outside India for an uncertain period OR

b) you stay in India for 182 days or less during the preceding financial year.
10th June 2017, 12:46 AM
Unregistered

Am working abroad in Oman for 3 years. My family have resident status in oman. But my son studied 12th in india will he be considered NRI?
15th June 2017, 12:48 PM
Unregistered

My daughter studied in Uae grade 8,9 and 10th. And in India study 11 and 12th are she consider as a NRI category please suggest.
12th July 2017, 06:29 AM
Unregistered

My son is studying in 8th standard and for last 5 years he studying in abroad, could you please tell me his admission in 9th standard will be NRI category ? What i knew is that before you graduation admission the last 4 years you must be study in india to avoid
NRI. Please suggest me as i am planning to get his next class i,.e 9 in India.
12th July 2017, 08:57 PM
Unregistered

I have studied 7th to 10th and continuing 11th and 12th abroad. Then after 12th can i appear for entrance exams and will i get admission in normal category or will i be considered as NRI student?
14th April 2018, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

I have studied upto 1st Class in India, From 2nd class to 6th class in UAE, 7th class to 12th class in India. Will I be considered Local or NRI student? Please Give me reply. Thank you Very much
24th April 2018, 10:11 PM
Unregistered

I have studied in UAE from UKG to 10th.If i continue my 11 th and 12 th in India. Will i be considered as local or NRI student? Please update
24th June 2019, 08:15 AM
Unregistered

From which class we have to study in India to avoid nri qouta.
Now my son is studying in 7 grade. I am planning to go to India to continue his studies from there to avoid nri qouta. Please reply .
14th October 2019, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

Which student can be considered as NRI? My son is studied till 9th in UAE. And completing 10th to 12th in India...then he will be considered as NRI or in normal catagory...?
31st May 2021, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

How can we avoid NRI in Gujarat?
In which class child should get back to India ( Gujarat) to avoid NRI QUOTA?
31st May 2023, 02:43 PM
Unregistered

I studid 1to 12th in India. My uncle is living in UK from last 20 years. Can I get facility of NRI cota in engineering college in Maharashtra
30th June 2023, 10:15 PM
A Erenbeni Ovung
Banned

NRI stands for Non-Resident Indian, and it generally refers to Indian citizens or people of Indian origin who reside outside of India. The exact criteria for NRI status can vary depending on the laws and regulations of the Indian government. Typically, students who hold Indian citizenship but study abroad or are enrolled in educational institutions outside of India can be considered as NRI students. However, it is advisable to consult official government sources or legal experts for precise and up-to-date information on NRI status.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?