17th March 2013, 02:36 PM
Unregistered

Default Re: Is GATE exam required for PhD admission in IIT?

hi.i got 398 all india rnk in gate 2013.i belong to general category.can i apply for ph.d in iit?plz inform me on my id [email protected]

Related Questions:
  1. Is it necessary to appear in GATE for study PhD in IIT? Can I get admission through NET?
  2. PHD in IIT through GATE? Calling mode for PHD in IITs?
  3. Can I do PhD in IIT or NIT if secured 95.96 percentile in GATE-Biotechnology?
  4. Eligibility to get admission in IIT-Madras for PhD(Civil Engineering) program through GATE? Cutoff score required in GATE?
  5. Minimum GATE score required to do Ph.D from IIT?
  6. Entrance exam for pursuing PhD from IITs?
  7. How many times can I appear for GATE exam? How much GATE score is required for admission in IIT Delhi or DCE?
  8. What is the minimum marks required in GATE exam to pursue direct PhD in IIT after completing BE in ECE? -- [New]
  9. Can I get admission to study PhD in IISC, NIT or IIT if scored 22 marks in GATE?
  10. Can I get admission to study PhD in Biomedical Engineering in IIT if secured 94.6 percentile in GATE?
  11. Is GATE exam required for PhD admission in IIT? -- [Most Discussed]
  12. Can I get admission to study PhD(Mathematics) in IIT-Mumbai if secured 159 rank in GATE?
  13. Minimum percentile required in GATE(Life Science) to study PhD in Microbiology in IIT?
  14. How to take admission in IIT Kanpur in Ph.D? What is the percentage required in post graduation to appear for the exam?
  15. Cutoff percentile required in GATE to study PhD in Botany in IIT?
  16. M.Tech admission in IIT: Required GATE SCORE & the optional subjects to be taken up in GATE
  17. Cutoff percentile required in GATE(Life Science) to study PhD(Microbiology) in IIT?
  18. How many times can one attempt GATE exam? What is the score required for GATE?
25th March 2013, 06:16 PM
kshreyaa
Senior Member+

The IIT Council that decided to increase the tuition fee for undergraduate students also decided that the peer review of each institute would be carried out every five years. The review committee would consist of five eminent academics from academia and industry. The committee members would be selected by the Board of Governors of respective Institutes from a panel of 10 names. For the new IITs, a similar exercise would be based on well-established review systems in world-class institutions. Besides a periodic review of the institution, each IIT will similarly undertake an in-house, department-wise review before any external peer review is carried out.

With a view to increasing the number of Ph.Ds from 3,000 at present to 10,000 by 2020, the Council of IITs also decided to relax the conditions for enrolment into Ph.D Programme in the IITs. The admission would be given without GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) score to students with CGPA (cumulative grade point average) of more than 7.0 at the end of the 3rd year but GATE score would be required for scholarship.

However, students from Centrally Funded Technical Institutions with CGPA of less than 7.0 would be eligible for Ph.D programmes and fellowships without GATE scores.

The Council also approved the Trainee teacher Award National Institute of technology/IIT Joint Scheme with an aim to enhance the teaching quality and to address the faculty shortage. The scheme is open to all graduating candidates who are in the top 15 per cent in the Centrally Funded Technical Institutes. All other candidates who are in the top 15 per cent from other AICTE/UGC approved institutions and universities and having a valid GATE score would also be eligible.

HRD Minister Pallam Raju said they would be engaged as trainee teachers at NITs. While initially they would assist in teaching, they would simultaneously go through the part-time M.Tech and Ph.D programmes of the IITs to acquire higher academic qualification, which is a prerequisite for faculty at NITs.

Keywords: IITs, PhD candidates, tuition fee hike, IIT Council, Board of directors, cumulative grade point average
3rd October 2013, 08:29 PM
Unregistered

if a gate exam is cleared once?..is it valid to take admission in phd after 2 years????...rply me on [email protected]
4th October 2013, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

i am complete m tech now i want to join phd from iit as a full time research scholar .i know that research fellowship amount is 18000. But i want to know if i clears the gate exam so is there any increase in the above amount.
24th March 2015, 08:25 PM
Unregistered

sir, my gate(2015) score is 508 and rank is 358.I am belonging to gen category.can I get a fellowship to do phd( in physics) in any iits?
29th March 2016, 08:39 PM
Unregistered

sir my gate score is 359 in ec. m tech is 7.9 cgpa sir any chance to admissions in nits
24th April 2017, 05:36 PM
Unregistered

I have a NET-JRF qualified in 1995. Would I have to write any entrance exam for phd admissions at IIT or alike institutes? I have a M.tech from IIT with 9.65 CGPA.
Software teaching experience.
2nd October 2017, 07:29 PM
Unregistered

In 2008, my GATE score was 84.55 percentile. And then I completed my M.tech in Computer engineering with 7.27 CGPA. Now I want to do PhD from IIT, so I want to ask you that, is my old GATE score useful to get PhD admission in IIT or I have to score again in GATE exam? Please guide me.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?