24th August 2011, 11:36 PM
Saifullah beigh

Is Civil Engineering better than Mechanical Engineering?

Is civil eng. Better than machanical eng have i done a mistake by choosing civil branch ....

27th October 2011, 06:58 PM
biswas1908

Default Re: Is Civil Engineering better than Mechanical Engineering?

Both the filed has there pros and cons and don't get depressed for selecting Civil with so much growth and development on infrastructure in india we have more oppertunies for Civil then mechanical.. with Civil you can do wonders..

So concentrate on your field and best of luck..
5th November 2011, 03:12 PM
rudramishra

both are good at their own field.mechanical engineering is best in terms of mechanical works like automobiles industy,while civil engineeing is best in growth of infratrusture..
so you should decide in which you are interested in
23rd May 2012, 05:04 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: Is Civil Engineering better than Mechanical Engineering?

Hi

Civil Engineering in the branch of Engineering and Science which deals with the Civil development of any country. It may be in the form of roads, building, dams, or any other physical structure, apartments, hospitals, railway tracks, etc..

This is also one of the core branches of Engineering and that it has not been derived from any other branch.

On the other hand, Mechanical Engineering is that branch of Engineering which deals with the Development of Machines, their parts, their inventions, and others such things.

Now coming to your question and talking about the fact that which of the two would have been a better choice for you.. I would tell you that this totally depends on your choice.
As far as the courses are concerned, both of them are at par with each other and both are considered evergreen.
Also both these streams have got rigorous and tough field work. So they are equal at this comparison also.

If you had interest in Civil, you have taken it. Now try your best to gain the maximum knowledge that you can in this stream.
Do not think about what could have been done. Always think about what CAN be done now..

Also you would be glad to know that there are a need of over 2 million Civil Engineers in India by 2020. So hope that you would be the best.

All the best

Regards
RANJEET
23rd May 2012, 06:58 PM
ambi_rajput

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saifullah beigh View Post
Is civil eng. Better than machanical eng have i done a mistake by choosing civil branch ....
There are plenty of jobs you can get with a mechanical engineering degree that do not involve CAD. Mechanical engineering can open doors in management, consulting, even finance, etc. With a civil engineering degree it is harder to get into one of these related fields (or to change fields later on). I recommend checking out http://www.ge.com/careers/students/omlp/index.html as one example of what you can do.

Notice the degree required though:
Degree in Engineering; Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Aerospace Engineering and Chemical Engineering degrees are preferred
Civil is not as well respected for more general business roles. You may enjoy civil - I can't speak much about the lifestyle of civil engineers. Civil does seem more limiting in business than mechanical engineering though.

Edit: I'll mention also that all of the people I know in GE's Commercial Leadership Program (sales) have mechanical engineering degrees as well.
----------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand it depends entirely on what you want to do.

Here is a general idea of the difference.

Mechanical engineers work on small parts. Parts to an engine, or any part on a car.

Civil Engineers work on big things: roads, buildings, dams.

You will also notice that Mechanical Engineers often work on moving parts, while Civil do not.

The pay is slightly better for Mechanical and the field is more general (they have a broader knowledge of many areas verses the more specialized Civil.)

Civil Engineers can work in nearly any sized city; whereas, MEs are slightly more limited.

The best thing to do is probably choose whichever sounds the best at the moment, and in which you are interested more.
----------------------------------------------------------
23rd May 2012, 08:06 PM
akshay1fand

First decide in which field you have interest.
Now a days both construction industry & manufa. industries are increasing, so both have same demand.
Now see , in which field you are interesting either in machines, engines or buildings, construction field.

Best of luck.
17th April 2013, 01:20 AM
Unregistered

is civil really a good branch for private sector
6th May 2013, 12:04 AM
Unregistered

hi all my frnds... i have a confusion.. whether civil is best or mechanical is best??? which has more salary?? BE is best or B.tech is best??
6th May 2013, 12:04 AM
Unregistered

hi all my frnds... i have a confusion.. whether civil is best or mechanical is best??? which has more salary?? BE is best or B.tech is best??
9th June 2013, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

confused between civill and mech which has beter job placements.?
16th July 2013, 02:05 PM
Unregistered

which is best between civil,mechanical and comp. sci.???????
which has large scope in future.....
plz tell me...
31st July 2013, 07:37 AM
Unregistered

I also have the same predicament. I've been researching for a couple of weeks now and the majority of the response, I am getting from other websites is that more people have been a Civil Engineer before and have switched over to Mechanical (not the other way around). I'm at the point that I need to really know what I should stick to and I'm still doubtful...

Btw, I'm a Civil Engineer student. I love everything about Civil Engineering as far as work, but I'm curious as to what Mechanical has to offer...
14th May 2014, 12:36 AM
Unregistered

i hav big confussion
whether i have to take civil or mechanical ???

which engineering best for feauture life ??
please help me...
1st July 2016, 12:54 PM
Unregistered

Who is the best choice civil engineering or mechanical engineering?
29th July 2016, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

Mechanical is evergreen field, all depend on your interest , while civil consists of drawing maps on blueprint and design the blocks of structures, every company wants to choose better and innovative ideal man so in which you think that you can design or can manufacture car , then choose for mech.. Playing with machines and services are for mechan... That's it. Salary is not a barrier. Do your work nicely. Civil is for those one is not interested in any field. They can choose civil. Other depends on your interest
18th June 2017, 12:03 AM
Unregistered

I studied two year diploma course in Building Technology and Construction Management after I studied BE Mechanical engineer now working in piping engineer but now I totally confused mixed study .Is it usefully for my courier
28th October 2019, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

Civil and mechanics, which has more jobs and which one is competitive?
7th January 2020, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

In civil engineering are they easily get job when finished their decree
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?