14th February 2010, 09:37 PM
deepak panwar

Eyesight requirement for joining merchant navy through cadet sponsorship program?

i want to join merchant navy through cadet sponsorship programme . plz guide me .

my eyesight is -2.25, is it ok?

15th February 2010, 09:58 AM
anudmishra
Senior Member+

Default Re: Eyesight requirement for joining merchant navy through cadet sponsorship program?

no,you should have an perfect eye sight of 6/6
i am sorry you are not elegible
15th February 2010, 11:50 AM
Mintoo
Senior Member++

Default Re: Eyesight requirement for joining merchant navy through cadet sponsorship program?

Eyesight: 6/6 with or without spectacles, without colour blindness........
15th February 2010, 01:16 PM
Esha Sharma
Senior Member+

Hey Deepak
sorry to say this
but you will not be eligible for cadet programme as one should be totally medically sound to get enrolled in merchant navy for any of its program.
15th February 2010, 08:46 PM
pradeep.g.u
Senior Member+

ya eyesight is required for joining merchant navy ... now your power is -2.25 so its better if you undergo laser treatment ....
16th February 2010, 03:34 AM
rrmohantysmile
Senior Member+

well here is the exact requirement asked for the post you want to apply for so you yourself judge your answer by reading it ...
Requirements:
10 + 2 PCM with min. 60% in each subject and English min. 60%.
Age between 17 and 21 years old in 2006.
Mentally, physically and medically fit.
Good eyesight 6 / 6 without visual aid and not color blind for Navigating officer cadet.
Not color blind. Visual aid with limitation up to 6 / 9 for Marine Engineering officer cadet.
i hope you have your answer after reading the above lines.. bbye good luck take care...
16th February 2010, 04:15 PM
amit04051988
Senior Member+

hi
yes you can, but.....
see it doesn't matters that what is your eyesight. but if you will pass the medical exam there will not be any problem.ok

all the best
13th April 2010, 09:15 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

The minimum eye standard required for joining Merchant Navy is as follows.

6/6 vision in both eyes (without visual aids); no colour-blindness for Nautical Officer’s and for Engineering Officers use of corrective lenses permitted but the maximum permissible limits, at entry, are 6/12 in each eye or 6/9 in the better eye and 6/18 in the other eye, for Distant Unaided Vision.

As you have mentioned your eye sight is -2.25 you are not eligible for joining Merchant Navy,even after going for Laser treatment.

BEst of Luck
14th April 2010, 12:12 AM
amitforever
Senior Member+

dear friend
no its not ok u must have an eyesight of 6/6 and without color blindness
best of luck
14th April 2010, 07:21 PM
Bella
Senior Member++++

sorry dear for joining merchant navy as an deck cadet your eye should be 6/6 and if it is not then go for a surgery and then apply for it.................
15th April 2010, 02:32 PM
bond007
Senior Member++

sorry deepak the eye should be 6/6 for this otherwise you will be rejected............and your eye power is so high that it cannot be corrected in a short period of time..........so just go for some thing else........
17th April 2010, 11:20 PM
Unregistered

i have coler blindness but i join marchant navy which type of course i am do
19th April 2010, 12:12 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

dear friend

your eyesight is 6/6 in each eye without any visual aids for joining merchant navy
as a deck cadet........

ok
all the best.
22nd April 2010, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

can i hav laser surgery now and join this years batch?
23rd April 2010, 12:27 PM
Unregistered

my eyesigt is about -3 and i wanted to select merchantnavy as my career so is it possible for me fit in any of the criteria of sea service. - vijay
23rd April 2010, 08:47 PM
amarjit
Senior Member++++

dear,
yes you can join it after you have done with laser surgery.. ........you can also discuss the same case with the company which has sponsored you for merchant navy.........

best of luck
23rd April 2010, 09:53 PM
singla14

vision require is 6/6 with or without spectacles, without colour blindness...... . so m sry.. u r not eligible for it..
9th May 2010, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

hey my power is -1.5 can i join merchant navy???
plz rply!!!
13th May 2010, 04:42 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hey my power is -1.5 can i join merchant navy???
plz rply!!!

Sorry, Dear

You are not eligible to join into Merchant Navy, you will be rejected at the time of Medical Fitness test.

Your current power is 1.5 D which is enough for your rejection at the time of Fitness Test.

Best of Luck
13th May 2010, 11:35 PM
sadhan
Senior Member+

dear frnd,
good to hear about your interest about joining for it you should have good eyesight i.e 6/6 & you should not have colour blindness
best off luck
22nd May 2010, 11:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak panwar View Post
i want to join merchant navy through cadet sponsorship programme . plz guide me .

Hi, How r u?
Don't loose hope, u know, my cousin has eyesight problem, but before boarding the ship a minor laser operation has been done, and he is 2nd mate officer now & on the ship from last 13 months. You can contact the Academy of maritime studies who guided my brother and helped him. Contact them or give them your contact details at http://www.ams.edu.in/
Tel.: +91 11 25258870, +91 11 25271340 or ask my brother his e-mail- [email protected],

Nancy.
1st June 2010, 09:12 PM
Unregistered

MINE IS -0.75 ? CAN I JOIN
4th June 2010, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

me gobind and my power is -10 and after correcting it by eye donation can i join merchant navy........
21st June 2010, 12:12 PM
Unregistered

so gobind u need not worry if u r donating your eye
2nd July 2010, 11:11 AM
Unregistered

Hey my name is adnan khan and i want to join merchant navy in gp rating but i have eyesight problen my eyesight is -1 ,so i m eligible for that or not pls tell me...!
6th July 2010, 08:36 PM
Unregistered

goverment institute of merchant navy for caddet course and what there fee
24th July 2010, 11:43 PM
Unregistered

hey my name is Nishchal Thapa Magar I have got eyesight problem -1 in left eye and -0.5 in right eye, so i m eligible for merchant navy or not....
25th August 2010, 04:56 PM
Unregistered

Hi I am Varun . .
Will Laser surgery help ? Do shipping corporation of india allow those who got there eyesight corrected by Laser operation .......??
25th August 2010, 10:28 PM
subhasish
Senior Member++

Hello Friend
The Eyesight requirement for joining merchant navy is 6/6..without any spectacles..

You can wear spectacles for eyesight up to plus/ minus 2.5.

Color blind students are not advised to apply.
28th August 2010, 01:42 AM
Adarshxxx
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Eyesight requirement for joining merchant navy through cadet sponsorship program?

dear friend..

following are the eyesight requirement in the merchant navy...

1.6/6 without spectacle

2.6/9 with spectacle

best of luck........
16th September 2010, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

CAN LASER OPERATION HELP ME TO SERVICE IN MERCHNT NAVY
16th September 2010, 02:30 PM
Unregistered

MY SPECTACLES POWER IS -0.25 & -.75.Can I Apply The form
19th September 2010, 01:48 PM
Unregistered

i am sandeep
my spectecle power is -0.25,-0.75.can i pass medical in merchant navi
19th September 2010, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

height is 6 feet can i pass medical
29th September 2010, 11:20 PM
Siddharth Malik

if i use contact lenses then?
13th October 2010, 10:49 PM
Unregistered

Hey friends i am having a different sort of problem. Currently i am following a deck cadet course. Almost a year have passed since my enrollment in september 2009 [Did not have this problem when i join. Those days i had 6/6 without spectacles]. The thing is that my eye sight got little less during this time and now i am in vain. I have checked my eyes and sadly i have to wear specs. But i have 6/6 with spectacles [no color blindness]. i would be thankful if any one can provide me with information, whether i will have to leave the course or not. or a place where i can find the regulations on this sort of a problem. thank you. [Darshana Silva- Sri lanka]
31st October 2010, 09:30 AM
Unregistered

Smile Re: Eyesight requirement for joining merchant navy through cadet sponsorship program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hey friends i am having a different sort of problem. Currently i am following a deck cadet course. Almost a year have passed since my enrollment in september 2009 [Did not have this problem when i join. Those days i had 6/6 without spectacles]. The thing is that my eye sight got little less during this time and now i am in vain. I have checked my eyes and sadly i have to wear specs. But i have 6/6 with spectacles [no color blindness]. i would be thankful if any one can provide me with information, whether i will have to leave the course or not. or a place where i can find the regulations on this sort of a problem. thank you. [Darshana Silva- Sri lanka]
go for laser treatment yaar, no worry. in india there are many eye hospitals, reach chennai that is all your problem is solved
6th November 2010, 02:33 PM
Unregistered

my eyesight is 0.5 in left eye and 0.75 in right eye.....can i join merchant navy........???
12th November 2010, 09:15 PM
Unregistered

ma eye sight is 0.75...both the eyes...am i elligible to join??
14th November 2010, 01:31 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply. Hope it will help me. thank you: Darshana Silva
23rd November 2010, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

my eyesight is 6/9 am i able to join the merchant navy
6th December 2010, 10:53 AM
Gitesh pal dhingra

my eye sight is 6/6 i can join indian merchant navy???????????
14th December 2010, 01:08 PM
Unregistered

myself vaibhav jain ..i wna join merchant navy ..my eye sight is -1.0 ( for long distance),,in 2011 i completed my engineering in mechanical stream...so wts ur answer abt that ?plz rply
16th December 2010, 05:31 PM
Unregistered

my eye sight is -1.25 so can i join merchant navy deck cadet plz reply
19th December 2010, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

i have -1.5 in one eye and -7 in other .
can i apply for merchant navy
24th December 2010, 04:43 PM
Unregistered

first of all u need to tell everybody ki -2.25 is nearsightedness or myopia....n wat they r talking abt is farsightedness...so for u nobody checks nearsightedness as its not required...as long as u hav 6/6 in snellen chart reading u r fine...:)
20th January 2011, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmohantysmile View Post
well here is the exact requirement asked for the post you want to apply for so you yourself judge your answer by reading it ...
Requirements:
10 + 2 PCM with min. 60% in each subject and English min. 60%.
Age between 17 and 21 years old in 2006.
Mentally, physically and medically fit.
Good eyesight 6 / 6 without visual aid and not color blind for Navigating officer cadet.
Not color blind. Visual aid with limitation up to 6 / 9 for Marine Engineering officer cadet.
i hope you have your answer after reading the above lines.. bbye good luck take care...
but at the time of joining i had 6/6 eyesight but knw its bit of less so wat can i do????
9th April 2011, 10:58 PM
Unregistered

Should i join merchant navy i have eyesight problem of -0.5 aand jus gave my 12 whats the minimum percent required - Clinton
20th April 2011, 10:06 PM
Unregistered

hi i have -0.75 sight power n the doc has said i have 6/6 vision can i join as a deck cadet in merchant navy
4th June 2011, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

Hey i have 6/6 in my right eye and - 0.5 in my left eye , am i eligible for deck cadet ????
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?