9th December 2012, 01:48 PM
Unregistered

What is the SI Unit of electric dipole

what is si unit of electric dippole...please give me the details for the same

21st January 2013, 04:27 PM
rajkumarmangalarapu

Default Re: What is the SI Unit of electric dipole

Electric Dipole: A pair of two opposite charges separated by some distance is called an electric dipole.

The distance b/w two charges is known as dipole length.

Electric dipole moment: Electric dipole moment is defined as the product of the magnitude of either charge and the dipole length.
S.I. Unit of dipole moment (p) is Unit of charge x Unit of Distance or Coulomb metre (Cm)
21st January 2013, 04:55 PM
aakash arya

electric dipole is mathematically = magnitude of a charge * separation between the two charges..
so, SI unit of electric dipole is COULOMB METRES...
21st January 2013, 06:26 PM
sandeepsaini.saini522
Senior Member+++++

hi,
Electric Dipole: A pair of two opposite charges separated by some distance is called an electric dipole.

Electric dipole moment: Electric dipole moment is defined as the product of the magnitude of either charge and the dipole length.

i.e, p = q (2l)

where q is charge of either charges and 2l is the dipole length.

Dipole moment is a vector quantity. The direction of dipole p is from negative to positive charge.

Therefore, S.I. Unit of dipole moment (p) is Unit of charge x Unit of Distance or Coulomb metre (Cm)

and Dimensional formula of dipole moment is [ AT ] X [ L ] = [ ATL ]
Thank you.............................
21st January 2013, 07:05 PM
TARA001
Senior Member++++

Lightbulb Re: What is the SI Unit of electric dipole

Hello,

i.e, p = q (2l)

where q is charge of either charges and 2l is the dipole length.

Dipole moment is a vector quantity. The direction of dipole p is from negative to positive charge.

Therefore, S.I. Unit of dipole moment (p) is Unit of charge x Unit of Distance or Coulomb metre (Cm)

and Dimensional formula of dipole moment is [ AT ] X [ L ] = [ ATL ] .

THANK YOU...
21st January 2013, 07:32 PM
aman1257

Thumbs up Re: What is the SI Unit of electric dipole

HI

S.I. Unit of dipole moment (p) is Unit of charge x Unit of Distance or Coulomb metre (Cm)
21st January 2013, 08:01 PM
ipmishra
Member+

Hi
First let us define what exactly is a dipole.
An electric dipole is a pair of two opposite charges separated by some distance .

So we can easily see that its S.I unit is Coulomb-metre(S.I unit of charge x S.I unit of distance)
Hope it helps
21st January 2013, 08:03 PM
ipmishra
Member+

Hi
First let us define what exactly is a dipole.
An electric dipole is a pair of two opposite charges separated by some distance .

So we can easily see that its S.I unit is Coulomb-metre(S.I unit of charge x S.I unit of distance)
Hope it helps
22nd January 2013, 12:38 PM
gamble007
Senior Member++

The pair of opposite charges separated by the distance of infinitsemily small distance 2l. the electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative electrical charges in a system of charges,..

The SI units are Coulomb-meter (C m).
31st January 2013, 11:38 PM
ranjeet250490
Senior Member++++

Arrow Re: What is the SI Unit of electric dipole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
what is si unit of electric dippole...please give me the details for the same
Hi

A Dipole is basically defined as a set of two equal charges and opposite polarity which are at a distance with each other. Its one of the most important concepts which is used in Class 12th Electrostatics Unit.

So its quite obvious that that particular length between the two charges is called the Length of the Dipole.

Dipole Moment :- 2L * Magnitude of q (Where q is the charge of either sides and L is the Dipole Length.

So from this we can derive the SI Unit as SI Unit of charge x Unit of Distance

So SI Unit of Charge is Coulomb and of Distance of Meter. So the SI UNIT OF ELECTRIC DIPOLE MOMENT IS Coulomb Meter (Cm).

Hope this helps
Regards
RANJEET
29th April 2016, 10:59 PM
Unregistered

I have to sa . that there is not complete answer of my question that what is the dimensional formula for electric dipole moment
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?