8th October 2012, 02:16 PM
Unregistered

Am i eligible for MSc Geology in an open university college

sir/madam....am doing my B.Sc 2nd year with maths,physics,geology in ambedkar open university....i had completed my 10+2 with maths....i want to study M.Sc Geology.....so,can i do my M.Sc in any of the open universities....please give details.....thanking you....

10th April 2013, 11:39 AM
Great Alexander of Macedo
Senior Member+

Default Re: Am i eligible for MSc Geology in an open university college

Dear friend,
You must have B.Sc. (Hons.) / B.Sc. degree beside this as you have mentioned you are doing it so you must have passed under 10+2+3 pattern securing a minimum of 50% marks in the aggregate in Science subjects for every year.
And also note that For M.Sc. in Geology you must have Chemistry as one of the subjects at the Graduate level.
So,If you are fulfilled with all of the above then you can be eligible for M.Sc in geology.
9th June 2013, 09:32 AM
Unregistered

I have completed BSc (engineering Geology from Aden university. Yemen Republic) in 2000,now I want join MSC geology in distance education.what are the universities conducting MSC geology in distance. Is it possible to have exams @ Aden university
11th July 2013, 05:50 PM
vikky4

1. About the Department
This subject initiated as a part of Civil Engineering in
Member In-charge. Capt. Major Ahmeduddin headed a separate course as fullfledged Geology for undergraduate students in the University college of Science for the period from 1936 to 1955. Post Graduate Course was initiated in 1955 under the able guidance of Dr.S.Bhagavantham, the then Vice Chancellor. Postgraduate course in Geology was subsequently strengthened at the beginning by Prof. M . S. Krishnan , Masami Hayakova , Dr. S.Balakrishna and Prof. Y.J. Rao. Prof. V.L.S.Bhima Shankaran was instrumental to start a Diploma course in Exploration Geophysics in the department of Geology in 1960 and this subsequently grew and separtated to become as independent Department of Geophysics. Academic activities of the department were multiplied by introducing M.Sc (Tech.) Hydrogeology in 1970 and a new Post Graduate Course in Geology at P.G.College of Science, Saifabad, O.U. in 1972. The Department achieved many laurels in the field of teaching and research , and Prof. Y.J.Rao , Prof. C. Leelanandam, Prof. N. Ramana Rao and Prof. B.E. Vijayam were instrumental in developing distinct schools of specializations. Prof. K. SuryaPrakasa Rao of this Department had a collaborative Research & Development program with the University of UTRECHT, NETHERLANDS and he was responsible for the establishment the Department of Applied Geochemistry.
The Post Graduate center for Geology at
Kottaguddem in Khammam District was started and grown under the supervision of Prof. M.Venkateshwar Rao, and it was shifted to Kakatiya University. Several Distinctions and Awards were conferred upon the faculty of the Department such as : Emeritus Scientist, Emeritus Professor, SONY International Award, Young Scientist and UGC Career Award. The Alumni of this department have also occupied important positions both in Civil and Administrative Services of the State and Central Governments. Semester Courses were reintroduced with internal assessment. Dissertation work is part of the Curriculum & the students are being imparted training at Geological Survey of India, National Geophysical Research Institute, State and Central Ground Water Departments, Directorate of Mines & Geology and Atomic Minerals Directorate. Several research projects funded by UGC, DST, CSIR, Ministry of Water Resources, GOI, NRSA, Dept. of Space, ICAR,CMPDI were undertaken by the Faculty of this Department. The faculty offer consultancy services too. Financial support is obtained from UGC and DST through FIST Program. The Department is equipped with Seminar Library catering to the needs of Faculty, Research Scholars and Students.

2. Faculty Details

Sl. No
Name
Designation
Field of Specialization
Dr. J. Ratnakar
Professor & Head
Igneous & Metamorphic Petrology & Geochemistry
Dr.M.N.Reddy
Professor
Metamorphic Petrology & Geochemistry
Dr.M.Muralidhar
Professor
Hydrogeology
Dr. A. Narsing Rao
Professor & Vice Principal (Hostels)
Mineral Exploration, Remote Sensing,Digital Image Processing, GIS
Dr. J. Vijaya Kumar
Assoc. Professor
Hydrogeology, Watershed Development and Management & GIS
Dr. B. Linda Prabhakar Babu
Asst..Professor
Sedimentology

3. Academic Programs
Courses Offered
Period
Approved Taken
M.Sc. Geology
2 Years
(40)
Ph.D. Geology
3 Years
------
4. Facilities Available
Department is equipped with a Seminar Library Catering to the needs of Faculty, Research Scholars and students in addition to main Library. The Department provides a practical and thrilling experience to the students in the laboratories of different subjects viz -
Optical Mineralogy

Petrology

Remote Sensing

Geochemistry

GIS & Computers

Sedimentology

Ore Microscopy

Advanced Microscopy

Museum

Hydrogeology.

All the laboratories are well equipped with the latest high standard instruments. These laboratories not only cater to the students and researchers but also for consultancy projects.

Library

In addition to the main Library, the department has library equipped with the latest books. There are books for both P.G. and advanced books useful for research reference.

Medals & Awards
To encourage a healthy intellectual competition, Six Gold Medals in the names of viz., Y.G.K. Murthy; Y.J.Rao; N. Ramana Rao; G. Shanker Narayana; Ch. Sudarshan Raju; N.T. Rama Rao, are instituted for top ranking students in certain subjects. There is also one cash prize, awarded in the name of "Late M.A. Chowdhary" for M.Sc. (Previous) student who secures first rank with distinction in I and II semesters in one attempt. ONGC offers fellowships for SC/ST students @Rs.18,000/- per year.
5. Activities and Achievements during 2004-2005
One UGC major research project is active. New equipments for research and class work have been acquired from the Xth plan and FIST, DST funding for the Department.
6. Opportunities
Quality is judged by Capability
The students of this department enriched with quality have found their way in to the prestigious institutions and organizations both in India and abroad proving their capabilities and making this department in high esteem.
7. Future Plans /Activities
The small regions do not remain always the same - but change in the course of time.
The Department has proposals to start short-term certificate courses in the fields of Remote Sensing, GIS, Exploration, Mine plans, Gemology etc for the benefit of needy students.
With the astounding success achieved in the fields of research and recognitions bestowed upon, in this Golden Jubilee year of ours, we envisage to make the Department A Center for Advanced Research - A crowning glory.

9. Supporting Staff
Sl.No

Name of the Employee Designation
V. Kamala Mohan Reddy

Lab Assistant
2 M. Sampath Kumar Draughtsman
3 Ms. N. Jayanthi Katti Jr. Assistant
4 Syed Yousuf Lab Attendant
5 J. Goverdhan Lab Attendant
6 K. Sathyanarayana Lab Attendant
7 Ahmed Hussain Lab Attendant
8 Md. Jany Watchman
9 Balaraju Watchman
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?