23rd January 2012, 08:53 PM
Unregistered

Can a commerce student join Merchant Navy?

i am in commerce stream... so
can i joint a merchant navy?

23rd January 2012, 09:05 PM
hublikar13

Default Re: Can a commerce student join Merchant Navy?

Hi ,

the Answer is no ,bcoz u need to have a knowledge on physics,chemistry and maths .

Here is the detailed information of the Eligibility Criteria of Merchant Navy Career. ..Educational qualification: The minimum eligibility for courses in Nautical science and Marine engineering is 10+2 or an equivalent examination with physics, chemistry and mathematics. He should also pass a medical fitness test for sea service under standard norms and with eyesight 6/6 with no colour blindness...Candidates wishing to enter the navigational and engineering fields of Merchant Navy need to complete a Bachelors degree in Nautical Science or Marine engineering, before they can gain admission to the field. ..Selection: Candidates are selected for the B.Sc. Nautical Science degree of TS Chanakya, Mumbai; and the four-year Marine Engineering degree course at Marine Engineering Research Institute, in Calcutta and Mumbai, known as DMET, through the Joint Entrance Examination conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), which assesses the candidate’s knowledge of physics, chemistry and mathematics. The examination is followed by personal interviews/counseling, where the interviewers assess the degree of alertness, and awareness of the external environment, in the candidates and their suitability for a career in the Merchant Navy. ..The entry level for a fresh Marine Engineer (ME) is at the rank of fifth engineer or junior engineer and a Nautical Science graduate is as a Deck Cadet. Promotions depend on further examinations conducted by the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS), the quality of experience and personal merit. On successfully completing these examinations the candidate receives the 'Certificates of Competency' needed for promotion to the respective classes. This examination is conducted by the Ministry of Surface Transport, in association with the Directorate General of Shipping (DGS) Mumbai, for determining the promotion prospects for the officers...Direct entry to Merchant Navy is also possible - students who have completed their 12th with PCM (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics) are eligible to join as Deck Cadets and a student holding a bachelor's degree in Mechanical/ Electrical/ Technology Engineering could also join the Merchant navy as a Engine Cadet/ Fifth Engineer/ Junior Engineer. Direct entry Deck Cadets are required to undergo basic pre-sea training arranged by the recruiting company itself and the direct entry Engineering cadets are preferred to do a Pre-sea course of 9 months duration in Marine Engineering conducted by the MERI. ..Personal attributes: A career in the merchant navy requires people with strong inner self and tough physical form, along with a sporting, adaptive and adjustable attitude. Willing to take on responsibility, love for adventure and challenges; have the urge to strive for higher positions; be able to work as well as study for examinations in between. Candidates need to be intelligent, intuitive, willing to work as a team, flexible, patient; have a liking for solitude, willing to live apart from loves ones for long stretches of time. Those opting for a career should not be sea sick...Engineers need to be resourceful and practical; skilled at Maths and Physics; have in-depth knowledge about the workings of the different machines. Manual dexterity is a must; one should be willing to learn new ways and work with modern technology; and able to work in the deck department as well if need arises...Go to the source site for more information:.http://www.webindia12 3.com/career/options/merchant/intro .htm..all the best!!
23rd January 2012, 10:40 PM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
sorry to say that commerce student are not applicable for Merchant Navy exam.

Eligibility criteria for Merchant Navy course
  1. Unmarried male and female candidate are eligible .
  2. Candidates passing 12th with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics are eligible for Merchant Navy course.
  3. Age requirement is not more than 20 years.
  4. SC/ST Students 25 years is maximum age , these categories are given relaxation of five years.

Post in Merchant Navy for which you can apply

1. Deck Cadets Post
  2. Navigating Officers Post

Physical Eligibility For joining Merchant navy as Deck Cadet are as follows: -

A candidate should be physically and mentally fit.

1. Eye Sight = 6/6,

2. Height = 167 cms,

3. Weight = 50 Kg

4. Chest = 77 cm (Normal) / 82 cm (Expanding)
23rd January 2012, 11:18 PM
4G Solutions
Senior Member+

Post Re: Can a commerce student join Merchant Navy?

Quote:

Dear Aspirant

There are two aspects in Merchant Navy:

1. Nautical science and Marine engineering
  2. Navigational and Engineering fields

>> To eligible for Nautical science and Marine engineering, You should have passed your 12th or an equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics from central/state board or recognized school.

>> To eligible for Navigational and Engineering fields of Merchant Navy fields, You must complete a Bachelors degree in Nautical Science or Marine engineering.

So I am sorry to inform you that as commerce student you can not join Merchant Navy...
28th January 2012, 12:10 AM
Unregistered

i m a student of MCA (2nd year), and my age is 24, m i eligible for merchant navy, if yes ...then what to do
30th January 2012, 01:49 PM
IIMS Pvt Ltd

Smile Re: Can a commerce student join Merchant Navy?

Yes ofcourse, you can join merchant navy from commerce stream. There is nothing like only science students can join merchant navy. As a commerce student you can also join merchant navy by doing course from our institute IIMS Pvt Ltd (Imperial Institute of Maritime Studies Pvt Ltd). For more details please contact us on these numbers 9620017186, 9620030010 either on this email id - [email protected]
30th January 2012, 01:55 PM
Unregistered

Smile Re: Can a commerce student join Merchant Navy?

Quote:
i m a student of MCA (2nd year), and my age is 24, m i eligible for merchant navy, if yes ...then what to do
Yes ofcourse dear, you can join Merchant Navy from MCA basis also. Till 25 years you can join Merchant Navy by doing course from our institute IIMS Pvt Ltd (Imperial Institute of Maritime Studies Pvt Ltd). For more details please contact us on these numbers 9620017186, 9620030010 either on this email id [email protected]
6th February 2012, 03:51 AM
Unregistered

i m 23 n m frm comerce hsc pass so cn i join in any field of merchant navy?
16th March 2012, 03:36 PM
Unregistered

I m a commerce Graduate, which diploma course I need to complete to join Merchant Navy
7th May 2012, 11:34 PM
Unregistered

i m 18 year old from sci pcm can i join merchant navy...if yes tell me the how can i join......
3rd June 2012, 05:00 PM
Unregistered

Can a commerce student join Merchant Navy? but as wat ... wat vl be the post ..
3rd June 2012, 05:04 PM
vtanmay

Can a commerce student join Merchant Navy? But as what ?? what vll be the position ..
8th June 2012, 06:56 PM
Unregistered

hi iam sanjay i have gud opening in marchant navy job so plz contact my 07842831550 or www.pacificmarineacademy.com
27th July 2012, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

hello sir, i am DANENJAY SINGH doing mca . can i join merchant navy after mca.i am very much interested in merchant navy.
7th August 2012, 12:34 AM

Sir my name is nadeem.......and i m pursuing bcom final year......can i join merchant navy....
Sir,plz after reading my mail.....plz inform me on my mail [email protected]........
11th November 2012, 08:38 PM
Unregistered

sir my name is kalpesh tiwai and i am in bcom 1st year.
sir is it possible , to join merchant navy.

please sir suggest something. My email id is [email protected]
12th November 2012, 10:43 AM
tash1907
Senior Member+++++

Hi Friend........

I am simply say to you

There is no chance to Join in Merchant Navy for Commerce students

Because, only those candidates eligible for Merchant Navy who's studied Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics

Required Eligibility Criteria for Merchant Navy

** Candidates must have a 12th standard with Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics one of the subjects from any recognized institution

** Candidates is not more than 20 years

** Candidates should be a citizen of India

** Only unmarried candidates are eligible for this

all the best........

Regards......
Tash
12th November 2012, 12:51 PM
sandeepsaini.saini522
Senior Member+++++

HI,
You can join merchant navy through two fields:
Nautical science and Marine engineering field
Navigational fields
Now since both the fields are different the eligibility for both of them is also different:
now the field in which you should be interested is Nautical science and Marine engineering field as you can do this after 12 th.

eligibility criteria for Nautical science and Marine engineering:
Educational Qualification : You should have passed your 10+2 or an equivalent examination with physics, chemistry and mathematics.
you must be Indian citizen.
Age limit for candidates is 16 years to 19.5 years while training.

If you are filling the eligibility criteria then you can go for the exam.
In order to join the marine engineering you have to give the exam conducted by various institutes or you can opt for marine engineering in your engineering entrance exams.
If you go for marine engineering exams then the procedure would be as follows:
written exam
medical tests

THANK YOU.......................
25th August 2013, 02:49 PM
Unregistered

some of the above are saying that commerce students are not eligible and some are saying that they are eligible. who is correct yar can someone clear me out .
19th November 2013, 01:30 PM
Unregistered

sir ..i hv done my HSC in commerce field with subject Maths and IT scored 65% overall and now i am in TY. BSC-IT ,scored 60% above in each semester so sir can i join MERCHANT NAVY and if i can, in which department can i join..................
2nd August 2014, 11:42 PM
Unregistered

I am commerce student but i want to join merchant navy...can you tell me how can i..
17th January 2015, 12:45 AM
Unregistered

The we to it from an instudt than the commerce student can joint it
5th April 2021, 11:40 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Can a commerce student join Merchant Navy?

You can join merchant after 10th or 12th. It doesn't matter which stream you have passed.
You can also join Merchant Navy with Commerce with basic STCW2010 course as a Ordinary Seaman.
5th April 2021, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Yes You can join merchant Navy
26th June 2021, 06:33 PM
Iffa0786

In Merchant Navy there are 3 department:-
Deck Department
Engine Department
Catering Department

Eligibility:-
You can Merchant Navy after 12 with science stream.

Age limit: 17 years to 28 years.

Unmarried candidates can apply.

Courses after 12th to join Merchant Navy:-
1. BE Marine Engineering
2. BSc Nautical Engineering
3. BE petroleum engineering
4. BE Mechanical engineering
5. BE Civil Engineering etc..
30th June 2021, 12:38 PM
Singhskomal

Commerce students can join only logistics branch,accounting branch and management branch only...
Eligibility for merchant navy -10+2 with physics, chemistry and mathematics.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?