23rd August 2011, 09:57 PM
venakt2905

Difference between Latch and Flip Flop?

What is the difference between a latch and a flip -flop?..please provide to me the difference

24th August 2011, 11:31 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Difference between Latch and Flip Flop?

A Latch or a Flip Flop is an electronic circuit which can be used to store state information.

The fundamentals of Latch and Flip Flop are same in spite of the fact that Latches are
asynchronous but Flip Flops are synchronous.
A Flip Flop can be termed as a Synchronous Latch.
A Flip Flop can be Clock signaled but a Latch can't be clock signaled.

Follow the link below for examples and applications of Latch and Flip Flop.

http://www.labri.fr/perso/strandh/Teaching/AMP/Common/Strandh-Tutorial/flip-flops.html
24th August 2011, 11:49 PM
ashok880
Senior Member++++

flip-flop and lach both can be called as storage device but the main and only basic difference between latch and FF is that when clock is given to the FF it transfers 1 bit of input to the output,means it transfers only 1 bit at one clock pulse. While in latch it is well known that it is edge triggered
so when no trigger pulse is given it acts as open switch and when trigger pulse is given it acts as a BUFFER.means when latch is triggered it transfers all the input data(of any size of memory) towards o/p inspite of 1bit like latch.

See this attachment for more deference between Latch and Flip Flop.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Difference between latch and flipflops.pdf(110.1 KB, 336 views)
25th August 2011, 02:18 AM
Mrs_Praveen_Gola
Senior Member+++++

The difference between Latch and Flip-Flop is as under-

1. Latch is a level sensitive device while flip-flop is an edge sensitive device.
2. Latch is sensitive to glitches on enable pin, whereas flip-flop is immune to glitches.
3. Latches take less gates (also less power) to implement than flip-flops.
4. Latches are faster than flip-flops.
25th August 2011, 03:11 AM
saugata2008

Latch is asynchronous . That means it does not have any clock input.It is used in the basic configuration of flip-flop .

Flip-flops are synchronous . That means it has the clock input .It consist of a latch inside it.
Thank you
8th February 2012, 12:38 AM
Unregistered

what are the applications of latches and flip flops?
8th February 2012, 04:44 PM
ssseetha

Similarity:
Latches and flip-flops are circuits whose output depends on the inputs and the previous outputs..

Difference

A flip-flop will have a clock signal but a latch won't.
Latches are used in asynchronous circuits and flip-flops in synchronous circuits.
So, a flip-flop is nothing but a clocked latch.

Latches are level sensitive while flip flops are edge sensitive.

By level sensitive we mean that output will respond to change in input as long as the control signal is high. Control signal can be a clock in case of flip flop or any other asynchronous signal in case of latch.(They are sensitive to the duration of pulse and can transfer data until they are switched on)

By edge sensitive we mean that output will only respond to input at the point when the control signal goes to high from low. Now when the control signal is high the output will not change with change in input. It will again change at the next rising edge of the clock.(They are sensitive to signal change(low to high or high to low) and not the level.)
18th April 2012, 03:09 AM
Unregistered

i found the best answer of my question here..........!
thanks alot...:D
17th July 2012, 11:49 PM
k.aditi29

Thanks a lot.
I got my flip flop and latch concepts cleared in a much better way than classroom teaching.
:-)
19th July 2012, 09:13 PM
savan kumar chaitanya

I've read that some authors do not make the distinction that latches are level triggered (with clock of course) and flip-flops are edge-triggered and synchronized by the clock.

I am wondering, are there level-triggered flip-flops? My lecture notes says
that this

is a level-triggered flip-flop as opposed to 2 rectangular blocks with dynamic-input indicators which would indicate edge triggering (what's the difference between this D master-slave flip-flop in the image and a, say, negative edge triggered D flip-flop as both changes occur at end of pulse?). Actually, are all D negative or positive edge triggered flip-flops master-slave flip-flops?

My understanding now is: (2 rectangular blocks as a whole) is an SR master-slave flip-flop and each rectangular block is a latch (which can be level triggered). Postponed output indicator indicates that output signal changes at end of, in case of SR master-slave flip-flop, edge of pulse (end of positive pulse for first block in image and end of negative pulse for second). Hence this implies that the master-slave flip-flop (if 2 rectangles or latches are considered as one flip-flop) or any flip-flop is edge triggered.

Is my understanding correct? I know the thinking is a little muddled so please help me clear it up and I think my lecture notes may be wrong. What's the verdict?

Thanks!
3rd October 2013, 03:21 PM
Unregistered

what is good between them
21st October 2013, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

what is the difference between control signal and clock signal ??????????
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?