24th November 2010, 08:43 PM
pingu

How to prepare for Civil Services Exam through Self Study?

Hi....i passed out masters (M.Sc biotechnology) this year with 71%...i am willing to appear for civil service examination ...i would be thankful if you let me know how to prepare at home...what books to follow or the institutes offering free coaching for civil service exam in hyderabad...i have nearly 6 months to prepare for prelims..i have checked time table & syllabus....its my dream to serve for the country,i will work hard & give my best.

my mail id : [email protected]

Thank you.

25th November 2010, 07:06 PM
VEERU_VIRENDR
Senior Member+

Default Re: How to prepare for Civil Services Exam through Self Study?

HELLO,
UPSC will conduct prelims for 2011,probably in may.if you are self studying then concentrat on your target core area,take some previous prelims papers & understand the pattern of the exam.the best way to crack a exam is to understand it properly.there will be aptitude test in place of objective paper.if you have not enough study material then you can call for the correspondence from an reputed institute.the initiation of preparation is from whole syllabus,but at the time of exam focus on the important section of the core area of syllabus.the repetitve revision of selected section,will be very beneficial at the exam time.for update in general studies you can read hindi or english news paper regularly.you can inspect for free coaching classes nearby your location.
15th December 2010, 05:58 PM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Thumbs up Re: How to prepare for Civil Services Exam through Self Study?

hello friend

you want to prepare for the civils services examination by self study it is a good decision only when you are strongly determined and interested towards your exam

and most of the people made it with out any coaching

you can see and listen many inspiring strories who have made it in their first attempt that too without any coaching further

if they can do it why can't you

download some inspiring speeches of civils employees who did their hardwork like you it will be like petrol for your preparation
and

you can go through this links
for further details

www.onestopias.com

www.upscportal.com

all the best

~aditya~
5th February 2011, 11:19 AM
sparkle
Senior Member+++

Dear friend,

You should at first go through the syllabus of the exam. Then according to that you have to cover the topics.

Get the basics clearly and make good concept. Practice a lot with the previous year papers and also the model papers.

There are many good books available in the market for preparation of civil service exams. Also try the online study materials and tips for the exam.

All the best!!
1st March 2011, 11:45 AM
Unregistered

which book iread
19th March 2011, 07:05 AM
Taurus007

hii

to prepare for Civil Services Exam through Self Study
if you are self studying then concentrat on your target core area,take some previous prelims papers & understand the pattern of the exam.the best way to crack a exam is to understand it properly.there will be aptitude test in place of objective paper.if you have not enough study material then you can call for the correspondence from an reputed institute.the initiation of preparation is from whole syllabus,but at the time of exam focus on the important section of the core area of syllabus.the repetitve revision of selected section,will be very beneficial at the exam time.for update in general studies you can read hindi or english news paper regularly
for further details
www.onestopias.com
www.upscportal.com

good luck
28th April 2011, 11:00 AM
Sai Deepika

Hiiiii.......i wat to join in civil services. Can u tell what should b the min percentage in 10th, inter & in graduation to appear for civils
12th May 2011, 12:33 PM
Unregistered

pls, suggest some authentic study material in history for prelims in cs exam.
31st May 2011, 05:02 PM
sivaraj448
Senior Member++

You should at first go through the syllabus of the exam. Then according to that you have to cover the topics.

Get the basics clearly and make good concept. Practice a lot with the previous year papers and also the model papers.

There are many good books available in the market for preparation of civil service exams. Also try the online study materials and tips for the exam.
9th June 2011, 02:46 PM
Unregistered

how will i sucess in civils without coaching.now i am studing b.tech civil engineering
9th June 2011, 11:46 PM
priyanka_swengg
Senior Member+++++

There is no short cut for success

Try to solve as much as question you can practice a day and try to increase the question in next day.
try to understand fully the question you solved that mean go as much deep you can go
To make it interesting first you have to stop feeling about its long formula and boredom !!
and second thing stop remembering formula apply logic and derive the formula than to remember it!!
and study it when you are full of energetic and full concentration!!

Then definitely no need of any coaching..
10th June 2011, 03:26 PM
kvrob139
Senior Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post
Hi....i passed out masters (M.Sc biotechnology) this year with 71%...i am willing to appear for civil service examination ...i would be thankful if you let me know how to prepare at home...what books to follow or the institutes offering free coaching for civil service exam in hyderabad...i have nearly 6 months to prepare for prelims..i have checked time table & syllabus....its my dream to serve for the country,i will work hard & give my best.

Thank you.
To clear Civil Exam you need to clear the prelims and mains.
For prelims you need to clear CSAT which consists of aptitude and reasoning questions.
For CSAT you can prepare through RS Aggarwal books for Aptitude and Reasoning.
For mains you need to select 2 subjects of your choice from the given.
You should have complete knowledge of the current affairs that you can get from Pratiyogita Darpan magazine.
20th June 2011, 02:10 PM
Unregistered

how can i prepare for civil service mains with magazine following and essay writing
9th September 2011, 09:38 PM
Unregistered

Hello Sir/Madam
I am working in the bank for the last 5 years,now i want to prepare for civil services.
what subject i should select for the mains exam,please guide how to prepare for the exams.suggest the books name also.
Nutan
10th September 2011, 08:05 AM
gauri2011
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu View Post

Thank you.
Hello,
It is very good to see that you want to be an IAS officer in future and want to serve the nation.
To apply for the post of IAS officer you have to appear for the civil service examination conducted by UPSC.The examination carried out in three stages - Preliminary,Main examination and personal interview.

To prepare for the examination by self study you really need to work very hard.First of all make your basics clear.Work on your speed.Search your week points and try to remove them.Study as much as you can.

Best Wishes.....
10th September 2011, 01:55 PM
Tulasinagababu

How To Prepare For Prelims (CSAT)

The Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT) includes two objective type question papers of two hundred marks and two hours time duration for each paper. One is on General Studies and the other is General Aptitude Paper( which has now replaced the optional subject that was there earlier). With the Civil Service exam having very limited seats it’s a very difficult exam to crack. Many students appear multiple times to clear it.

Changes in formats of question papers always tend to create a lot of mental discomfort in students. Many students are fearful of subjects like mathematics. This fear may be baseless considering the changes lay greater emphasis on the “aptitude” which mainly involves reasoning skills and not just mathematics.

The civil services examination is basically a test to choose suitable administrators. It tests the candidate right from the stage when one starts the preparation. One common misconception about the prelims is that it is a test of facts and figures. That was never so and specially now. A candidate should have the right frame of mind and the will power to succeed in the exam. A proper action plan is needed for the preparation itself since he /she will be tested for some essential qualities like power of retention, clarity of concepts, ability to identify the correct alternatives with efficiency and accuracy. All this requires a quick decision making power.

With the new pattern, more stress is on language skills and analysis and decision making capacities, so work on these on a consistent basis as these are skills that are developed over years and not just in a few months. It would be advisabble to start focusing on your problem solving and language skills as sooon as you decide to take these exams.

Paper 1 is on General Studies
This includes areas like

1. Indian National Movement, Indian Polity, Basic Economic Understanding, Geography
2. While the dynamic part includes current affairs, GK and has no proper definition and syllabus making quite vast.

Paper 2 includes English, mathematics, reasoning, analytical ability, and interpersonal skills. Unlike paper 1 which has a static part this paper provides no such respite.

Unlike paper 1 where quantity of questions is a major determinant for the static section paper 2 cannot be tamed without solving quality questions, though few in number Since the preliminary exam in particular is a test of endurance the candidate needs to prepare himself on the physical as well as mental level. The main constraint is the time one gets to answer questions. On an average one gets around 40 seconds for each question. Added to this time constraint is the fact that the exam is conducted in the month of May which is usually the hottest month all over the country. Most of the centres for the exam do not have proper facilities which adds to the stress. One sure way of dealing with this stress is to count numbers or to take a few deep breaths. Meditation and Yoga also help in dealing with stress to a great extent.

Now we come to the actual preparation for the prelims exam. Since it is a multiple choice question paper, it needs a different preparation and a proper strategy. The first thing a candidate needs to bear in mind is that the examination is designed to evaluate certain qualities like a sharp memory and basic retention power. There are ways to increase one's memory like preparing charts. One gets confused when faced with mind boggling facts and figures. Important facts and figures can be simplified and represented on charts and they can arranged in the form of tables or graphs. Another thing to remember is to make short and brief notes on each topic so that the entire syllabus can be revised a day before the exam.

It is better to use diagrams and link words which make it easier to understand difficult concepts. One more technique to help in retaining information is the use of abbreviations. Since the syllabus involves exhaustive information abbreviations help you to remember it better. It is a good method to remember dates, facts and figures in a picture format and to break up complex names and places into smaller and simpler words. The last and the most important technique is doing regular revision. This helps in retaining the maximum information. A separate time slot should be given to doing not only regular but multiple revisions like daily, weekly, monthly etc.

Many candidates make a mistake of overloading themselves with lots of information and end up remembering nothing. One should be able to differentiate between relevant and irrelevant information. Since the preliminary exam is an elimination round the candidate should also learn to focus only on the information needed and filter out the rest. It helps to discuss with friends and teachers but the most reliable way is to solve past years question papers. One should also keep abreast with current events and information related to them.

An important thing to remember is that for this exam it is just enough to remember information but to understand the concepts well instead of memorizing facts and figures. The questions asked are of 10+2 level. Therefore emphasis has to be on conceptual clarity. Any concept has to be understood with its origin, merits and de-merits, then it needs to be analysed with other relevant topics and lastly it has to be correlated with the events that have taken place during the year.

The preliminary exam requires candidates who have the acumen and the ability to choose the right option of many given options. This needs a proper method of elimination. It is a good idea to go through previous years and model question papers and solve as many as possible. Taking a mock test of a certain number of G.S. questions and mathematics and general ability questions would be a good practice and help to pick out the most appropriate option.

Each prelims paper is for two hours but a lot of time is wasted in signing attendance sheets etc, therefore there is a lot of need for effective Time Management not only for the exam but in the preparation as well. It is not enough to know the right answer but it has to be marked correctly on the answer sheet. Speed and Accuracy are important, so solving model question papers on a regular basis would be a great help.

A good presence of mind is needed to eliminate the least appropriate options and arrive at the right one. However beware of negative marking so it is better to mark only sure shot answers than making guesses.

Throughout the preparation for the prelims exam, it is important to remember that any topic or concept should not be studied in isolation. It is better to understand and establish a correlation between related concepts from other subjects and current events and happenings.

Even with all this preparation, it is necessary to have a positive attitude and a great amount of will power to succeed to achieve your goal, that of getting through the civil services examination with flying colors!
16th October 2011, 11:45 AM
Unregistered

how to select the subjects for the mains because i have done my engineering from instrumentation field and have confusion for the selection of the subject and really have the dedication for the UPSC exam.Please guide as soon as possible?
22nd October 2011, 12:50 PM
Unregistered

sir i m Mukesh Pawar and i m serving in defence and and i want to become an IAS officer sir pls tell me how to prepare for IAS prelims exam during my job i m grtful to u my emal id : [email protected]
9th December 2011, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

Now i m dng the job of DPE now i want to prepare for civil service then which subject i choose for main exam
23rd December 2011, 11:36 PM
Unregistered

How to prepare the time schedule for civil services
30th January 2012, 09:05 AM
Unregistered

Hi,Am a 2011 passed out and am working as a software engineer.I want to become an IPS officer,but am bad at mathematics.Can you please suggest me how to make a proper plan towards my goal.Including this i have only weekends off and i work for 12hrs in a day.Please help me by giving your valuable suggestions.
19th February 2012, 05:56 PM
Unregistered

I WANT TO KNOW THE BEST BOOK FOE GENERAL STUDIES FOR UPSC CIVIL SERVICES PRE EXAMS-Angel
23rd April 2012, 02:01 AM
mithu ashi
Member+

HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE EXAM:-

-- YOU MUST HAVE A STRONG DETERMINATION & WILLING POWER TO ACHIEVE SUCCESS.
-- THOUGH THIS IS A TOUGH EXAM, YOU CAN ACHIEVE SUCCESS BY YOUR HARD WORK.
-- BROADEN YOUR VOCABULARY BY LEARNING NEW ENGLISH WORDS DAILY.
-- READ ENGLISH NEWSPAPER & MAGAZINES. THIS WILL HELP YOU TO LEARN NEW ENGLISH WORD & ENLARGE YOUR GENERAL KNOWLEDGE.
-- PURCHASE GOOD BOOKS ON INDIAN POLITICS, ECONOMY, SCIENCE & LANGUAGE.
-- KNOW YOUR SYLLABUS IN WELL MANNER.
-- SOLVE PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPERS.
-- MAKE YOUR OWN SCHEDULE & MANAGE YOUR TIME.
-- READ BOOKS ON CURRENT AFFAIRS & GENERAL KNOWLEDGE.
-- SOLVE EACH ISSUE QUICKLY.
-- MAKE YOUR ENGLISH COMMUNICATION EFFECTIVE.
-- PRONOUNCE EACH WORD CLEARLY.
-- REDUCE YOUR STRESS LEVEL & BE CONFIDENT FOR THE EXAM.
-- YOU CAN ALSO JOIN GOOD COACHING CENTERS.

BOOKS:-

--Frontline Magazine
--Gandhi Nehru Tagore & Ambedkar — Gopal Krishna
--Yojana
--NCERT (+1 level)—Evolution of Indian Economy
--Kashyap—Constitution of India
--NCERT Physical Geography of India for X - XII Std
--Charles Farro: Monsoon Asia Reports published by Centre for Science and National
--Popular Science Series (CSIR)
--Journal of peace Studies
--Science Reporter
--(NCERT +1 level) Elementary Statistics
--A.C.Banerjee - History of Modern India Raghavan Aiyer — Mahatma Gandhi
--D.D. Basu—Indian Constitution
28th July 2012, 09:31 PM
savan kumar chaitanya

in order to prepare for Civil Services Exam through Self Study
if you are self studying then concentrat on your target core area,take some previous prelims papers & understand the pattern of the exam.the best way to crack a exam is to understand it properly.there will be aptitude test in place of objective paper.if you have not enough study material then you can call for the correspondence from an reputed institute.the initiation of preparation is from whole syllabus,but at the time of exam focus on the important section of the core area of syllabus.the repetitve revision of selected section,will be very beneficial at the exam time.for update in general studies you can read hindi or english news paper regularly
for further details
www.onestopias.com
www.upscportal.com
28th July 2012, 10:07 PM
savan kumar chaitanya

HELLO,
UPSC will conduct prelims for 2011,probably in may.if you are self studying then concentrat on your target core area,take some previous prelims papers & understand the pattern of the exam.the best way to crack a exam is to understand it properly.there will be aptitude test in place of objective paper.if you have not enough study material then you can call for the correspondence from an reputed institute.the initiation of preparation is from whole syllabus,but at the time of exam focus on the important section of the core area of syllabus.the repetitve revision of selected section,will be very beneficial at the exam time.for update in general studies you can read hindi or english news paper regularly.you can inspect for free coaching classes nearby your location.
4th August 2012, 03:27 PM
Unregistered

HOW SHOULD I PREPARE FOR CIVIL SERVICES EXAMS?I AM DOING B.PHARMA CURRENTLY AND I HAVE PASSED XII THIS YEAR (2012) WITH BIOLOGY (M.P. BOARD) SECURING 90.6%.
6th November 2012, 12:11 AM
Unregistered

Does anyone who answered here is appeared for civil service exams?
5th December 2012, 06:24 PM
ashis.career

you want to prepare for the civils services examination by self study it is a good decision only when you are strongly determined and interested towards your exam

and most of the people made it with out any coaching

you can see and listen many inspiring strories who have made it in their first attempt that too without any coaching further

if they can do it why can't you

download some inspiring speeches of civils employees who did their hardwork like you it will be like petrol for your preparation
and

for further details

www.onestopias.com

www.upscportal.com

all the best
21st December 2012, 09:16 PM
Unregistered

Right now I am first year mechanical engineering student,want to know which thing I have to do to prepare for civil services exam right now.
Plz also tell me its eligibility criteria.thankyou
Plz convey this msg to my e.mail id:[email protected]
Thankyou
6th May 2013, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

M studing in bsc...n I wan to know how to prepare. For an upsc. Exam
16th May 2013, 08:47 AM
Unregistered

Hai......
Am from B.tech Elecrical,which subject's i hav to choose as optional is there any optionals related to electrical engineering.
11th August 2014, 08:52 PM
Unregistered

please kindly suggest me any fast book for fast preparation and by which i can gain some confidence
21st September 2014, 09:53 PM
Unregistered

Can I get the detailed syllabus and related books for csat prelims exam...
20th October 2020, 07:14 PM
Priya Dhongade

You can clear the upsc cse examination without any tution classes. You just have to referred all the toppers refference books and study hard .
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?