Railway Engine Driver – How to become a railway engine driver?
Railway Engine Driver is responsible for transporting passengers and goods in a train from one destination to another. Even though several staffs are employed for the safe transportation of passenger and goods, engine driver plays the crucial role by executing the important task. If the engine driver fails to execute his task, then the effort of all other staffs will go in vain. Therefore greater importance is given for the post of railway engine driver. Engine drivers are responsible for halting the train at different stations and reducing the train’s speed in the case of route diversion, following other trains or avoiding early arrival at the station. They control the acceleration and braking of the train.
Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) conducts various exams for recruiting eligible candidates to the different vacancies available in the railway sector. Candidates who want to become a railway engine driver should qualify the concerned exam conducted by Railway Recruitment Board (RRB). Notification of the railway engine driver exam will be published on the newspaper or the concerned website. Candidates should read that notification before applying for the exam. Those who have qualified the railway engine driver exam will be first given the post of diesel or electric locomotive assistant driver. After getting much experience in the concerned field, one can get promotion to the post of railway engine driver.
Who are eligible to apply?
Candidates who have completed tenth standard can write the exam conducted for recruiting candidates to the railway engine driver post. Age limit specified for such candidates is between eighteen years and thirty years. Candidates who are applying for the railway engine driver exam should also complete ITI course in any specified trade.
Key elements in the process
- Pass tenth standard
- Complete ITI course in any specified trade
- Qualify the exam conducted by Railway Recruitment Board
- Obtain enough experience as diesel or electric assistant driver
Skills required for a railway engine driver
Railway Engine Driver should possess a good presence of mind to handle various difficult situations. They can complete their task only through good patience and discipline. They should be adaptable to different time schedules. They should possess good interpersonal skills to interact with their co-workers. They should have immense stamina to drive the train. Lot of hardworking is also essential for this job.
- Fire Engine Driver cum Pump Operator, Surveyor, Steel Authority of India Limited
- Exam Pattern of DRDO CEPTAM Test
- Search Engine Strategist – How to become a Search Engine Strategist?
- Administraive & Allied Cadre, Defence Research & Development Organisation
- Medical Practitioner, North East Frontier Railway
- Group D Posts - North Central Railway
- Group D Posts - Southern Railway (RRC Chennai)
- Constables, Central Industrial Security Force
- List of Railway Entrance Exams
- Group D Posts - South Western Railway (SWR), Hubli
- Platform Porter - Western Railway
- Railway Recruitment Board ASM Exam Papers
- Sub Inspector, Head Constable, Border Security Force
- Trackman/Gangman - Western Railway
- Helper - II / Khalas- Western Railway