21st July 2010, 12:08 AM
gagsp.7

How to make a career in Research Field?

Respected Sir/Mam
I am a student of class XI right now and have taken Non Medical(PCM) with Computer(My SQL , Java) as my additional subject. I am interested in a career in the research field. I am quite confused right now as to what should be my next step. I am taking Coaching Classes for IIT-JEE, AIEEE. But i am not that much interested in doing Engineering. I want to know about IIST and the courses offered by this institute. What should I do for the preparation of this IIST exam for which i will appear after 2 years? I am also quite interested in Genetic Engineering. I recently gave the SAT and scored 1810 on it. I want to know what can be my future options as i do not want to be stuck up in a normal job in a MNC.I also would like to know the best colleges offering courses in Physics or Genetic Engineering. I feel that i am a curious person and would definitely like to work in the research field. Please help me
Thank you and Regards
Gargi

21st July 2010, 01:26 AM
solution
Senior Member++++

Default Re: How to make a career in Research Field?

hello friend

if you are really interest in go for research field then it is better to go with general subjects like physics,chemistry,math,zoology,botany.

in general study there have lots of scope to do research.to go for research,you have to build strong knowledge in your subjects.

after Enginering you are also allow to join research oriented jobs.

you may join

1.ISRO.
2.DRDO.
3.BARC

best of luck.........
21st July 2010, 02:41 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend
Its really good news that people from new generation are interested in research field and don't want to stuck up in some job or also not attracted towards MNC.
The IIST is Asia’s first space university and the only one in the world to offer courses from undergraduate to doctoral level in space science and technology. The students passing out of IIST with minimum specified academic performance will be absorbed in ISRO as scientists/engineers. An assistanceship package is offered by department of space for all the B.Tech students to cover the complete cost of education, boarding and lodging

Admission to the B.Tech programmes in Aerospace engineering, Avionics and Physical sciences in IIST, Thiruvananthapuram is through the IIST admission test (ISAT – 2010). The test consists of two question papers of objective type, each of two hours duration having questions from physics, chemistry and mathematics.
For more details visit : http://www.iist.ac.in/
The syllabus of ISAT is attached with this message. Please find it in the attachments.
Thank You
Attached Files
File Type: pdf isat syllabus.pdf(306.7 KB, 194 views)
21st July 2010, 12:32 PM
karthu
Senior Member+

hai
You have to write the ISAT entrance exam to get into ISRO.The exam will be in kerala.If you are qualified for the exam, you can join IIST Valiyamala in kerala.The exam is for 3 hours with subjects phy, chemistry & maths .For more details refer the site www.iist.ac.in
21st July 2010, 02:37 PM
nillu
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: How to make a career in Research Field?

Its really good that you are interested in research work. For this you should first complete your schooling , UG from IIT and then go for PG which will pave the way for you for your research work. As you told you are intersted in genetic engineering you must also have possessed biology in your 10+2 because for genetics you need to know all about life science. Our govt. is also very keen to promote research work in the country as it is the need of the, so go ahead better future is there.
21st July 2010, 03:10 PM

hai dear how are you?
if you are not intrested in doing engineering then why you have taken maths and why you have not taken biology.
ok fine,
if you want to do somthing in clinical research so you have to graduation .
for clinical research eligblity :- graduates/pg in life science/bio-technology,MBBS,BDS,BAMS,BHMS,B.PHARM/M.PHARM with minimum of 50%
aggregates.
for healthcare managment:-graduates in any discipline with 50%aggreats.
you can visite www.cremaindia.org,www.icriindia.com,
for healthcare www.icrihelth.com.

all the best
21st July 2010, 07:11 PM
Mrs_Praveen_Gola
Senior Member+++++

dont get too much confused as you are going on a right track.the only thing is that it all depends your 12th class %.wait for that and then only select the physics [hons]from a good college.
21st July 2010, 08:50 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Well, dear first of all be relaxed and decide weather do you want to opt for Research career in Physics or want to opt for Genetics.

First you are saying that you want to go for Research career then saying Genatics. Looking quite confused

Since you are PCM student with CS as optiontional better go for Research career leave Genetics, because for Genetics Having Good command over Biology is mandatory.

Well, first let me tell you about IIST. It is an Autonomous Institute like- IIT, IISC, IISER.

IIST is basically started in 2007 for catering the need of Engineering scientist in ISRO.

Previously admission to its B.Tech was based on IITJEE, but now ownwards it conducts its own entrance ISAT for admiting students in Three B.Tech programs viz: Avionics, Aerospace and Physical Science Engineering. At present IIST have only these three courses.

Eligibility for ISAT:
Candidate must have at least 70% aggregate in 10th and 70% aggregate in 12th also including PCM.

For PAttern, Scheme, and other details, kindly go through ISAT 2010 Brochure (Attached below).

After successful completion of your B.Tech you will be observed as an IRO scientist ina bond of 2 years. Means if you dont want to work with ISRO after completing your B.Tech from there you have to pay IIST Rs. 10 Lacs as a cost which IIST has expenditure on you, because Education at IIST is free of Cost.

Research

For research followings are Best Schemes:-

KVPY (Kishore Vigyanik Protsahan Yojna)
: Since you are class 11th student eligibility for 2010 for you will be you must have secured a minimum of 75% (65% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board Examination. (For complete Details: http://www.iisc.ernet.in/kvpy/index.htm).

Traditional Way: Simplely complete your B.sc then M.sc in the subject of your desire then appear for CSIR UGC NET or other famous JRF like- TIFR, SET etc.

Through IITJEE: If unable to crack IITJEE, but remain in Extended Merit List then you can opt for Integrated M.sc there.

Besides these if your Academic performance s Good then you will find many ways for it.

Regards
~Faiyaz~
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ISAT-2010.pdf(197.5 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by faiyaz; 22nd July 2010 at 12:57 AM.
21st July 2010, 09:39 PM
sharad3010

Research

For research followings are Best Schemes:-

KVPY (Kishore Vigyanik Protsahan Yojna): Since you are class 11th student eligibility for 2010 for you will be you must have secured a minimum of 75% (65% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board Examination. (For complete Details: http://www.iisc.ernet.in/kvpy/index.htm).

Traditional Way: Simplely complete your B.sc then M.sc in the subject of your desire then appear for CSIR UGC NET or other famous JRF like- TIFR, SET etc.

Through IITJEE: If unable to crack IITJEE, but remain in Extended Merit List then you can opt for Integrated M.sc there.

Besides these if your Academic performance s Good then you will find many ways for it.
21st July 2010, 10:25 PM
N.MD.AZHARUDDIN
Senior Member+

sorry forgot to say for more informations you can check out this website....http://www.iist.ac.in/IIST/ISAT 2010/
21st July 2010, 10:39 PM
samar123

Great thoughts gagsp.7
Chuck the engineering part and go for Research if you would like to do that. But be sure about it there are lot of gud options available with IIT's , IIIT's and IIIT pune
Best of Luck to you
21st July 2010, 11:29 PM
sathsish

Smile Re: How to make a career in Research Field?

hello friend,
i suggest you what you think is right and what your doing is good keep going...and while coming to the field you have chosen is really good.

Research fields reflect foundational areas of scientific study in the field of information technology
so better come up more with computer knowledge and

continue your Coaching Classes for IIT-JEE, AIEEE.

i have attached some files along with this..

i think this is very useful and you will gain some knowledge.

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]syllabus_and_questions.pdf[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
all the very best dude..@@@
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2001newsletter.pdf(8.90 MB, 216 views)
File Type: pdf brochure_isat2010.pdf(197.5 KB, 140 views)
File Type: pdf IIST_2010.pdf(76.7 KB, 155 views)
22nd July 2010, 06:22 PM
parhitoshika
Senior Member+

dear friend,
you must have heard the name of isro
isro takes 3 departments:
cs,mechanical and ece.
going through their entrance you could join isro.
forms comes in feb,exams in april.
23rd July 2010, 09:20 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by parhitoshika View Post
dear friend,
you must have heard the name of isro
isro takes 3 departments:
cs,mechanical and ece.
going through their entrance you could join isro.
forms comes in feb,exams in april.

No...............!

Apart from that ISRO also takes B.sc/M.sc (Physics/Chemistry/MAthematics/Electronics) the recruitment is known with name Graduate Apperentice.

It is not much famous because it pay scale s very low 5,000-8000 + Accomodations.
23rd July 2010, 09:32 PM
Thakur Chetan

if you are not interested in engineering then it will be very good for you to take a good percentage in +2 boards and take honours in a particular subject that you like.Delhi university i a good option for this.Also you can give exam of ISRO which is held after +2 and in this way you can pursue your career in research..
BEST OF LUCK
23rd July 2010, 10:58 PM
sharmila jain

hi
its very good that you want to go in the field of research ..you just go with the biology and chemistry subjects ...and mainly you stress on chemistry part..give th e entrences related to it ..
23rd July 2010, 11:11 PM
shanadhana shaahara

hai.......
my hearty wishes to you...
you are out of the box... you can survive as a good scientist..
you choose your favourite subject for your studies..you have a good scope in future.. you can research about the space,medicine,bio diesel; so you can choose any science degree..
which can fullfill your thoughts..

all the best
5th September 2010, 11:58 AM
shivanigarg_4u

just go for MS from USA after your graduation and you will have great future in the research field.
16th December 2010, 09:21 AM
Unregistered

I am a B-tech final year student in CSE. I would like to join ISRO. What opportunities prevail for me?
I would also like to know what post can i apply for?
And what post graduate studies are available for the same?
28th June 2011, 11:50 PM
amit gaur2065

If you want make your career in research field or you are a engineering
student, then there are more chances for you, you would do M.tech, after doing M.Tech you can go in research field, or you can do M.tech from NASA, ISRO, BARC, these provides M.tech in their institute and students get placed from here, so go there.
27th March 2012, 02:38 PM
kaveribiswas

if you are really interest in go for research field then it is better to go with general subjects like physics,chemistry,math,zoology,botany.

in general study there have lots of scope to do research.to go for research,you have to build strong knowledge in your subjects.

Then you can do graduation after that you could go for post graduation and finally P.hd which will lead you to do research.
31st October 2012, 09:30 PM
manas.1989

hai dear how are you?
if you are not intrested in doing engineering then why you have taken maths and why you have not taken biology.
ok fine,
if you want to do somthing in clinical research so you have to graduation .
for clinical research eligblity :- graduates/pg in life science/bio-technology,MBBS,BDS,BAMS,BHMS,B.PHARM/M.PHARM with minimum of 50%
aggregates.
for healthcare managment:-graduates in any discipline with 50%aggreats.
you can visite www.cremaindia.org,www.icriindia.com,
for healthcare www.icrihelth.com.
31st October 2012, 09:42 PM
manas.1989

Its really good that you are interested in research work. For this you should first complete your schooling , UG from IIT and then go for PG which will pave the way for you for your research work. As you told you are intersted in genetic engineering you must also have possessed biology in your 10+2 because for genetics you need to know all about life science. Our govt. is also very keen to promote research work in the country as it is the need of the.
31st October 2012, 09:44 PM
manas.1989

hai
You have to write the ISAT entrance exam to get into ISRO.The exam will be in kerala.If you are qualified for the exam, you can join IIST Valiyamala in kerala.The exam is for 3 hours with subjects phy, chemistry & maths .For more details refer the site www.iist.ac.in
31st October 2012, 09:45 PM
manas.1989

hai
1st March 2017, 04:51 AM
Unregistered

I am a science ( physics chemistry. And BIOLOGY) student of class Xl and want to establish career in research work. I want to join ISRO. Please tell me what to do? I'll be highly obliged if you provide me with a list of exams I have to give to be selected in ISRO.
29th December 2018, 05:01 PM
Unregistered

I am a science (physics,chemistry and maths) student of class XII and want to establish career in research work .and i am taking iit-jee classes. So provide me a list of exams to go in research field
30th December 2018, 07:06 PM
praveenyoutuber

Hello, Steps to make a career in Research Field-
  1. Earn a Bachelor's Degree in Physics.
  2. Get Research Experience.
  3. Pass Additional Tests.
  4. Earn a Doctoral Degree.
  5. Advance Your Career by Joining Postdoctoral Research Projects.
Thank you
29th January 2019, 06:05 PM
radhikasharm

I guess you have to pursue Phd(doctorate) in whatever field you want to do Clinical Research.

As a curriculum of Phd, you would be asked to submit a Thesis and for that you have to read Research papers and come up with a Topic and finally submit your Thesis on that Topic.

Successfully Completing your Thesis under the guidance of your professor as a part of Phd Degree will give you a taste of Research. Meanwhile you will get in touch with many other scholars and researchers and all you need is their support and funding and you can start your own research.

If you are a graduate or Post Graduate and already working in any company, then you can contact your seniors about the type of profile required by the Research and Development department within your organisation. But in this case, you need a lot of experience, not the Phd.
12th May 2021, 05:13 AM
Unregistered

Here a student of XI with subjects as physics chemistry and biology
I'm interested to go in research field of Chemistry,
Please let me know how to continue my way?
22nd June 2021, 09:10 PM
Iffa0786

You have to require a strong academic background to excel in this field, A Bachelor's,A master's and a doctoral degree.

Top universities in the world:-
1.Harvard University (United States)
2.Yale University ( United States)
3.University Of Waterloo in Canada
4.Imperial College London (UK)
5.John Hopkins University (US).etc...

Scope in Research for your career:-
1.Educational institutions
2.Industrial institutions
3.Hospitals
4.Insurance companies
5.Government Institutions.
6.Corporate Institutions
7.Industries and private companies.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?