1st August 2012, 07:49 PM
rahul.payyappate

How to start preparation to become a great software engineer? I am a 2nd year BSc student having mathematics and statistics as Major subjects

I am a second year B.sc Student having Mathematics and Statistics as major Subjects.I am planning to do MCA after my Graduation and want to start preparing for entrance tests.Which is the best suited Majors(Maths or Stats) in the third year ?
I have started learning C programming language and very keen in learning more about Softwares. What all should I start in advance to become a good Software engineer ?

14th February 2017, 10:25 AM
sagarika 199193
Senior Member+++

Default Re: How to start preparation to become a great software engineer? I am a 2nd year BSc student having mathematics and statistics as Major subjects

It's good that you have a career goal. As you said, You are eligible & can pursue MCA after completion of your B.Sc. Most institutes conduct entrance exam for MCA admission. You are learning the languages for software is beneficial for your career.

MCA Entrance Syllabus
- Mathematical Aptitude Test
- Analytical Ability
- Computer Awareness
- General Awareness
- English & Comprehension

MCA Specializations
- Software Development
- Networking
- System Management
- Application Software
- Troubleshooting
- System Engineering
- Management Information System

Job Profiles
- Software Engineer
- Software Developer
- Software Publisher
- Computer System Analyst
- Software Consultant
- Database Administrator

Top Recruiters In Software Engineering
TCS, Infosys, HCL Technologies, HP, Accenture, Wipro, Cognizant, Tech Mahindra, IBM, Mphasis, Oracle Financial Services, Mind Tree Ltd
15th February 2017, 12:38 PM
lvnareshsunrise
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How to start preparation to become a great software engineer? I am a 2nd year BSc student having mathematics and statistics as Major subjects

Since you are pursuing 2nd year of B.Sc course, it is a good choice for you of becoming a software Engineer.

IT is good boom in India and people who are working in this sector are getting good salaries and onsite job opportunities as well.

Though your major subjects are Mathematics and Statistics, I suggest you to give full importance for Computers subject.

Gain complete subject knowledge in Computers subject as you are going to be completely dealing with all Computers subjects in the next academic levels.

It would be better to join MCA course in your Post Graduation level to get into softwar industry and to become a software Engineer. The admission for this course would be given on the basis of performance in the Entrance Exam.

Each and every university will conduct its own Entrance Exam to give admission for this course.

In addition, there will be national level Entrance Exam called NIMCET through which can get admission for this course in NITs which are top Institutes to join this course.

It is good that you have started learning C Language. Once that is completed, I suggest you to also complete C++, Java, Oracle, etc.

Along with this, also start preparation for Entrance Exam by having coaching from a good coaching Institute.

Ensure that you get admission for this course in a top college so that you will be having the advantage of campus placements.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?