View Poll Results: Merchant Navy vs Indian Navy?

Merchant Navy 48 21.82%
Indian Navy 172 78.18%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

16th February 2011, 12:26 PM
deva95singh95

Default Re: Merchant Navy or Indian Navy? What should be preferred?

indian navy is a govt. related job whereas merchant navy is private.
17th February 2011, 02:35 PM
danish_khurana

Post Re: Merchant Navy or Indian Navy? What should be preferred?

its an individual wish to join merchant navy or Indian navy. in merchant navy we can serve only a few people and in Indian navy we can serve the whole India. merchant navy is to carry goods from one country to another. taking part in merchant navy is easier than in Indian navy. and also we can earn more money in merchant navy.
21st February 2011, 11:15 PM
arvind_singh
Banned

The merchant navy is more better option then Indian navy . The merchant navy is a civilian career and therefore less restrictive . You can travel all over the world and best part is you can leave it whenever you want to and it gives you so much money that you can start your own business once you dont want to continue it.
1st March 2011, 01:24 AM
yogs.singh

merchant navy is better than indian navy bacause

in merchant navy we got salary which is far better then

indian navy.

in merchant navy life is adventurous because we get the

chance to see different new places and new countries
1st March 2011, 04:22 PM
raj100

join in indian navy:there are nda exam and cds exam to selection in indian navy and for merchant there are too many private companies which provide different courses.
due to Indain navy,u have chance to seve your country

Indian Navy is totally different from Merchant navy,while the former deals with War and its personals are well trained
whereas,the Merchant navy deals with transporting the items of company and other export thing.
2nd March 2011, 04:56 PM
Rajat Tomar

Cool Re: Merchant Navy or Indian Navy? What should be preferred?

any forms for matric student from icse bors
4th March 2011, 06:43 PM
sumitrajsinghchauhan

The Indian Navy guards & protects the naval borders of the nation,everyone will be proud to be in the Indian Navy as it will provide a chance to serve his/her country.

whereas in merchant navy you will see the world and you will be paid for that.its up to you what you feel is it indiannavy or merchant navy.
5th March 2011, 11:12 AM
Baban singh

hi friend,
in my opinon indian navy is far better than merchant.
8th April 2011, 06:48 PM
Unregistered

Hello
First of all i would like to tell u gentlemen that Merchant marines is entirely different subject you are trying to confuse with Indian navy or any national navy force, Merchant marines are for transportation of cargo and petroleum products round the world if merchant ships stop for just one day,entire world economy will be destroyed like a castle of cards, the stores which today are filled with global products will be empty and your car's tank will be better filled with water.
Merchant marines are professionals not country fighters, just professionals.why don't you compare Indian airlines with Indian air force????????????? Merchant marine is a wide subject and entire global economy is dependent on it although in India none cares about it.
To be an Navigator,Marine engineer or Electrical officer you need graduation in respective subjects with a great psychological understanding, you can survive in Indian navy without these qualities but not in merchant marines here you are a proffessional and you need to have great sort of technical knowledge.There is only one government institute in India for navigating officers and that is TS Chankya and for marine engineering there are two MERI's to get addmission in both of these colleges you need IIT JEE rank not like in Indian navy.There are certain good institutes like SIMS,AMET,MANET,BITS-tolani,TS Rahman too. Although marjor colleges are still in foreign countries.
Merchant marines is for those who love the sea, who want to see the world, who have a poet deep in their heart, who want to explore the nature,who wish to be one of those great seafearers.Who want to meet different people,see different cultures,traditions and laguages,its about inner soul.
By joining merchant marines you can rise upto levels you will never expect ,you can be a ceo in a major shipping company like British Petroleum,cheveron,shell,whelmsen,wallem etc. who are global leaders, this must be reminded that bigger companies are taking their engineers from iit's and nit's, pays and perks are according to the level of the person.Merchant marines is a proffession and it is a GLOBAL SERVICE you are serving the world,
This is very sad thing to know that Indians don't have proper knowledge about Merchant Marines and WEST STILL RULES US because of people as gave their negative and meaning less views above, Indians navy is entirely different issue and must not be intersected with marines.
For joining marines you dont' need to be an Einstein but you need a great common sense,great mind,great spirit,great personality,great communication skills if you don't have these you cant be a marine officer you will leave the job within a year or thrown out.Yeah you can do unskilled works as most of Indians are doing on foreign ships like sweeping,cleaning,oiling etc. these kind of people make negative impact because this is what they say they are in merchant navy, you can be an officer too.. don't you think so?? Europeans are still officers and Indians cleaners ,join merchant marines as an officer and experience the life you cant forget it, you will love it.
11th April 2011, 11:51 AM
sumit9897gaur

merchant navy is i think not a success in front of indian navy indian navy is a part of indian armed forces through which you can join and become the part of saving mother india while on the other hand merchant navy is just for making money you will be not allowed to return home for months i would like to go for indian navy.
14th April 2011, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

95 % of world trade happens only by merchant navy and indian merchant ship captains have a high reputation among the world shipping. and more over a guy with a passion of sailing and sailing with a task will join the merchant navy . a guy in need of immediate money will join the merchant navy. so dont compare the two streams ! we need both! world will be nothing without trade and commerse! the apple u eats comes from a merchant ship!!! think out of the box instead of splitting the navis!!! offcourse indian navy is legitimate!! but no harm joining the merchant navy and it gives a different feeling!!!
14th April 2011, 11:08 AM
samvjoseph

please dont compare merchant navy and indian navy ! both are absolutely different !! merchant navy captain is worthy at sea!! warships seldom sail at rough seas! merchant ship sailors made a revolution in the 18 century !! mind u !! u wont get an apple if u r not ready to sail!!! dont give this notion of indian navy being highr than merchant navy! 95 % of world trade happens at sea!! we need merchant ships and indian captains! over 800 hostages were there in 2010 alone by pirates!! what do u really think did the navy do to resque them!!!! rememebr to be in justice!! read books if u dont know a damn thing about merchant navy!! how people struggled to establish trade!!ofcourse indian navy is essential , we need them!! but without trade my fried u cant expect a coffee !!!!! remember this!
16th April 2011, 02:20 PM
mramvinoth

Arrow Re: Merchant Navy or Indian Navy? What should be preferred?

HI ,

I you are interested in Taking Challenges & want to serve our Country then you can choose Indian Navy . If Money is your only motive then you can go with Merchant Navy .Plz see below my Comparsion between Indian Navy & merchant Navy .

S.No Merchant Navy Indian Navy
1 Ordinary Man Job Challenges & Proud Job
2 Risk is Less Risk is More
3 "Can Work Till you are young "Can Work till the Period of Service or
Bcoz your Employer Wont till Retirement"
Prefer Aged person"
4 Only one Department "Submarine , Logistics , Maintanence,
Administartion, Engineering d Many More Department Available in
Indian Navy"
17th April 2011, 12:21 AM
tejormayi

Indian navy is much better than merchant navy because they are sacrifying their life and they are real good for india for giving a security and it is responsible job also
17th April 2011, 12:58 AM
Bullo

Ofcourse...Indian Navy is more preferable than Merchant navy.......indian navy gives u an Honour and Dignity...alongwith money and various other facilities...
17th April 2011, 09:25 AM
Manpreet Singh4753

plz , sir tell me about how i can join Merchant navy ?
19th April 2011, 03:53 PM
gurveer singh

Indian Navy Provides you a class job. Different opPurunites been given in this job and a death of honorr that you can't get in the job of merchant navy.
20th April 2011, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

First of all ....ppl who have commented here hv no knowledge of either Indian navy or m navy....& none of dem luks to b either frm navy...& jst commenting here fr tym pass sake....mst of da comment reads serving da mother land.....excuse a bit bt one dnt hv to b in armed force only to serve country. Every1 doin a job in country is serving it equally...civil servents, businessmen, every1 is serving country ....and dt too equally....nd ppl in m navy ....many of dem serve in foreign companies....u dnt even have an idea hw much of forex come from dem ...its in billions of dollars every mnth....nd dt dnt go to swiss bank....plus m navy is totally corruption free lyf.....yes even more den Indian navy...coz Der r no canteen & adarsh society scams der....& if u r in m navy u will cum to see a lot of ppl here changed from Indian navy...taking early retirements....although main bulk of officers cum directly & offcourse Der are a lot of ppl fr India who serve in m navy as crew.....so ders a diff between jst a guy in m navy & a m navy officer......so guys jst know da things a bit before commenting....as a little and half knowledge is nt enough.....
20th April 2011, 03:52 PM
samcoeurope

First of all ....ppl who have commented here hv no knowledge of either Indian navy or m navy....& none of dem luks to b either frm navy...& jst commenting here fr tym pass sake....mst of da comment reads serving da mother land.....excuse a bit bt one dnt hv to b in armed force only to serve country. Every1 doin a job in country is serving it equally...civil servents, businessmen, every1 is serving country ....and dt too equally....nd ppl in m navy ....many of dem serve in foreign companies....u dnt even have an idea hw much of forex come from dem ...its in billions of dollars every mnth....nd dt dnt go to swiss bank....plus m navy is totally corruption free lyf.....yes even more den Indian navy...coz Der r no canteen & adarsh society scams der....so know da things a bit b4 making ur opinion.....& everyone who says he's in m navy is nt necessaraly a merchant navy officer.....coz Der r lower rank crews also....which make a bulk of m navy population in india & smtyms dnt hasitate to tell demself an officer to ppl lyk u wd limited knowledge abt m navy
& ppl who r in m navy knows very well ...its nt abt jst money.....& long family separations & isolations......guys lyk every othr field dis has also made sum progress & hv better working environment.....so ur views may be still of 20th century
20th April 2011, 10:45 PM

I have given the exam of class 10 this year. I want to join Indian Air force, so how should i prepare myself to become a defense officer? I want to give N.D.A exam after 11 or 12. suggest me for it.
22nd April 2011, 11:59 AM
sanjay singh1110

merchant navy handles the commercial operations.Merchant navy is private organisation which is used to import and export of goods . Merchant Navy is a non-combatant commercial fleet.thear is lots of money in merchant navy..........provide,,,,,,,,,,
but indian navy give Government job but not more money ony give respect..........
22nd April 2011, 01:53 PM
kalia420

indian navy question papers
27th April 2011, 01:18 PM
mitul19

i will jpoin marchant navy . plz help ntake some information for this way..
28th April 2011, 06:38 PM
kuldip singh romana

private sector is best then the govt. sector .
29th April 2011, 11:53 PM
plib

hi,
this is pallav agarwal and i m looking some help regarding to the merchant navy i want to join merchant navy so cn u help me regarding the same.

thanks and regards
pallav agarwal
2nd May 2011, 11:59 PM

my motherland is every thing to me so i join our indian navy
6th May 2011, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

i join indian navy but no information available plz try i m join indian navy . . I like this. . . .My gol ,motto, is indiannavy. . .
18th May 2011, 01:26 PM
Unregistered

can I join the Indian Navy after 10 2 as I want to serve my nation

jasman
20th May 2011, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

I m suraj majumdar , my education 10 2 , hight 5.9 ,
i do job in marchent navey
30th May 2011, 11:46 PM
LUVRUMAN

Thumbs up Re: Merchant Navy or Indian Navy? What should be preferred?

its just the respect you get in the indian navy, the same you cant get in the merchant navy.And at the end of the day its the respect not the money that counts.
2nd June 2011, 04:15 PM
Unregistered

sir i have given the exam of 10class. i want to join in india navy. so please give me indian navy information.
2nd June 2011, 04:23 PM
Unregistered

sir what is the salary of marchent navy
2nd June 2011, 10:43 PM
sourindra

I think Indian Navy is much better then Merchant Navy.
9th June 2011, 01:58 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

I think Its depends on Our Interest. But I will tell you that Both are different from each other. If we have to choose between Merchant Navy or Indian Navy, then i should be preffered Merchant navy.

Because we all know that Merchant Navy is private organisation which is used to import and export of goods on seaways. So, it is less restrictive than a Indian military And with the help of Merchant Navy, you can travell all over the world. So according to me Merchant Navy is best option.

But its depends on person to person, many person like Indian Navy.

So, please go with according to your own Interest.
15th June 2011, 02:54 AM
sachin6

Anybody go for navy means your 1st preference is indian navy.
16th June 2011, 09:47 PM
sachin6

Compare these two indian navy is better only.
25th June 2011, 01:31 PM
Unregistered

all jobs have their own requirements and standards. nothing can be declared to be the best profession to be opted.well as joining a profession totally depends upon the interest of a person choosing it.if you talk about the discipline it's surely the forces whereas if you wish to live independently and king's size life then it's none other the merchant navy.both the profession has equal responsibilities to be played at their own post.both of them has to fulfill it to their best; so choose for what you want to achieve in your life and give your best to it and i am sure you will love it.
25th June 2011, 05:38 PM
pabolu pradeep

i would prefer indian navy only because , merchant navy is more difficult and tough job. indian navy job is somewhat a less strain less job when compared to merchant navy and moreover merchant navy is very difficult for girls also..so i prefer indian navy..
26th June 2011, 07:21 AM
raja badam

i want a job in Indian navy because.i want to protect our India.in that time i will get self satisfaction.
4th July 2011, 11:33 PM
rana2011
Banned

Indian navy in India but and merchent navy in out of country but Indian navy is tup to get but merchant is easy than Indian navy.
11th July 2011, 04:43 AM
Unregistered

getting in merchant navy is simple as compared to indian navy ..... after my intermediate (10 2) i filled forms for indian navy got my call for ssb based on pcm cuttoff .. clered all tests mental as well as physical . but in the end they declared me medical unfit coz ma left eye was not 6/6 it was 6/9.... all gone in vain .... d next year i appeared in jee examination got a rank 4k and gfilled d forms for indian maritime university ... after getting my bachelor degree i sit in the xamz fr merchant naval technical officer (junior officer) .... im urning nearly lac per month .... and im happy ...

one thing u shuld have in mind dat u shuld not join navy or mechant navy as both of them at sumtym will seperatye u from ur familes ... u shuld have d ryt kbowledge wat u want to do as ur second career ...

ol d best .. i wanted to join prestigious naval academy but it was nt in ma fate .. so i ent fr d second option n im proud of my decision ...
11th July 2011, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

What starting salary in hand you get in Indian Navy ?
16th July 2011, 04:29 PM
k.a.s.raghava

indian navy is good because the pay will be good and we will can have a good positions
24th July 2011, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

Hey guys first of all get sum information about both the profession.Serving Indian navy ofcourse u serve indian border's but these fellows in merchant navy are serving mankind.For other things lemme tell u a merchant navy captain earns sumwre around 6-8 lakhs which ofcourse can give u alot of respect anywre in the world.Am an officer in merchant navy with just an age of 23 yrs my salary is 2 lakhs pm i have been to more den 30 countries.I have got my gf in spain.I have recently bought a honda city and when u talk abt the heights lemme tell u quite a few of my seniors whom i have worked with are owning shipping companies.See if u not smart den u cant do any gud neither in m.navy nor in indian navy.U have to give lot of examz in m.navy which is really very tough at each level of promotion and Its no point dat u want to serve ur country getting into indian navy bettter to serve ur nation by helping out sum poor fellows who really need u.Well anyways gud luck to all of u..
29th July 2011, 11:51 PM
Sehwag6

Indian navy is better than merchant navy. Then you have a good and job opporunities
6th August 2011, 01:04 AM
Unregistered

Join merchNt navy it is best and yu cn earn good money in small time and see the all world. .....In indian navy you can see only india and may be see nebiours country may be thts it .........
15th August 2011, 02:34 PM
Azher88

Location: 697/4, Bhola Nagar, Kotla Mubarak pur, New Delhi-110003

Well i will go with Indian Navy, I like and after getting the job we will serve for the country also.
22nd August 2011, 05:24 PM
ravi14raj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwani123kumar View Post
hi bro i am in indian navy right now and after giving in 10 years of my life in this prestigious force i am sure that taking in to consideration all the benefits it offers INDIAN NAVY is far better an option provided u join as an officer............ and what more,after VI CPC govt. is paying you quite decently too.
Hi,
My Name is Ravi Raj, I am planning to join Indian navy in ssc(technical) and i wanted to know what job prospects u have after serving in Indian Navy in SSC. Few examples will do good.
Waiting for your reply.
22nd August 2011, 06:27 PM
jaydip62
Member+

indian nevy is more perfect then merchant nevy.
24th August 2011, 05:47 PM
ANIAAAAANNNNNIIIII00000

Indian navy is more preferable because a loyalty,pride is associated with it , you can say you are working for India , that's my point
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?