17th April 2010, 02:59 AM
ricky.azeem

Mechanical engineering or automobile engineering, which stream should i choose if I have interest in automobiles?

I have just finished my 12th from the CBSE board in hyderabad,India and now i am planning for my higher studies.....i really need some help for choosing between mechanical engineering & automobile engineering.....as i have a lot of interest in automobile sector,i really wanna do something in automobile,i have heard that there are sub-branches under mechanical engineering,if yes what are they and does automobile comes under it?....does the separate automobile engineering & automobile under mechanical engineering are of same demand and type?......is it better to choose automobile engineering alone or automobile branch through mechanical engineering?......any help would be much awaited and pleased......am damn confused....help me out.

Thanx
:-)

17th April 2010, 06:40 AM
satyavani
Senior Member++

Default Re: Mechanical engineering or automobile engineering, which stream should i choose if I have interest in automobiles?

if you are really interested in automobile engineering then go for it,there is real demand for automobile engineers but not in India,you have to work in an foreign country like japan or south Korea
all the best
17th April 2010, 06:43 AM
khusi

Default Re: Mechanical engineering or automobile engineering, which stream should i choose if I have interest in automobiles?

automobile engineering is indeed an sub branch of mechanical engineering,
if you really want to take risk then go for automobile engineering because there is not much demand for it these days,
i would suggest you to take mechanical engineering then try for an automobile job
all the best
17th April 2010, 10:34 AM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Well dear you have asked a Good question.

Let me explain briefly.

What is Mechanical Engineering?

According to me It is the branch of Engineering which deals mainly with the application of physics and material science for developing.designing and maintaining Machines and Tools.

Types/Branches/Sub-Branches of Mechnical Engineering

Power plant Engineering.
Automobile/Automotive Engineering.
Aeronautical Engineering.
Aerospace Engineering.
Naval Architech Engineering.
Tools & Machinery Engineering.
Marine Engineering.
Mechatronics Engineering.
Robotics Engineering (In design and operating or we can say except Memory part).
CAD/CAM/CAE.

All these are directly or indirectly linked with Mechanical engineering and so called parts of it.
Infact Mechanical Engineering is known as father and Electrical Engineering as the Mother of all engineering branches as said by a scientist of old age.Also Mechanical Engineering alone has 60 subjects.

Career Scope

So,weather you persue Mechanical Engineering in Automobile or Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Automobile both are of same value.

Here I would like to tell you that Acquiring B.tech (Aotumobile Engineering) in India is very easy but you wont be sucessfull unless you have persued that degree from a good institute like IIT's or NIT's etc.As also because I have seen Automobile Engineers who had passed from normal institute is working in garages etc.One of the reason behind this is that India has Additional 40,000 Mechanical Engineers.

Hope this little discussion will be helpfull for you in taking right decision.

Best of Luck

Last edited by faiyaz; 17th April 2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Setting
17th April 2010, 11:03 AM
rahul k
Senior Member+++++

dear friend

Mechanical Engg. relates with mechanics and automobile engg. relates
with automobiles. It depends on your choice what you like. Every one has
different choices so it depends on your liking.

difference between Mechanical engineering and automobile engineering-

Automobile Engineering is about vehicles - design, manufacturing, testing, assembly, repairing, etc.

Mechanical Engineering is about machines i.e. all types of machines.

ok
all the best.
17th April 2010, 01:40 PM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

i dont think there is major dereference between the two branch of engineering,i would suggest take any one but do your graduation from an reputed institute thats what matters the most,
so if you can do the graduation from colleges like iit or nit then it will help you a lot
all the best
18th April 2010, 12:10 PM
ricky.azeem

well i guess am gettin quite sure now about mechanical engineering......but does any 1 know any good colleges in hyderabad for mechanical engineering coz i don wanna go outside hyderabad.......has any1 heard of MJCET in hyd,how is it...?????
24th April 2010, 05:17 PM
Unregistered

i jst appear 12th gseb board n i am confused which stream should i take mechanical or automobile???plz tell me... thnx'z...!! :)
25th April 2010, 12:45 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend
The syllabus of Automobile engineering and Mechanical engineering have many topics in common. Automobile engg is just one of the stream of mechanical engineering.
The most important thing is that the top Engineering institution of India like IITs, NITs don't offer automobile engg for B Tech course. Because of having most of syllabus in common mostly institute offer only Mechanical engg. So, if you want to be an automobile engineer you can join any good institution for mechanical engineering.
Recommended colleges are
IITs
DCE
NITs
BITS
MIT Pune

Thank You
26th April 2010, 07:49 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
well i guess am gettin quite sure now about mechanical engineering......but does any 1 know any good colleges in hyderabad for mechanical engineering coz i don wanna go outside hyderabad.......has any1 heard of MJCET in hyd,how is it...?????
Followings are some of Best engineering colleges of Hydrabad which are good faculty for Mechanical Engineering:-

Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology.

Deccan College of Engineering & Technology.

Greenfort Engineering College.

J N T U College of Engineering.

Lords Institute of Engineering & Technology.

M J College of Engineering & Technology.

Mahaveer Institute of Science & Technology.

Muffakham Jah College of Engineering and Technology (MJCET): is one of the leading engineering colleg of Hydrabad.
For more information you visit its website- http://www.mjcollege.ac.in

Quote:
i jst appear 12th gseb board n i am confused which stream should i take mechanical or automobile???plz tell me... thnx'z...!!
If I would be in your place then I will chose Mechanical Engineering,thats because after B.tech in Mechanical one can chose from wide variety of options at M.tech rangeing from Automobile to Aerospace Engineering and scope of that is far better then just persuing Automobile Engineering.

However, decision id your's

BEst of Luck

Regards
~Faiyaz~
2nd May 2010, 06:57 PM
Unregistered

i just appeared in 12 exam and i would like to join b.tech engineering collage, in maharashtra please guide me.i am staying at nashik
3rd May 2010, 06:26 PM
amarjit
Senior Member++++

dear,
you can try for mht-cet for colleges in Maharashtra.....get the application form from any college near you....
appear for the exam it is one of the easiest exam.....

you can also get an college in Maharashtra based on your score in aieee......
apply through the cap rounds .........

best of luck.......
3rd May 2010, 09:51 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i just appeared in 12 exam and i would like to join b.tech engineering collage, in maharashtra please guide me.i am staying at nashik
Dear friend
The application procedure for MHT-Cet has been over. You can try some private colleges with management quota like MIT Pune, DY Patil etc.
If you have taken AIEEE then you can apply for most of the colleges on the basis of aieee AIR during their counselling admission process .

Thank You
Good Luck
4th May 2010, 12:48 AM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
For persuing B.tech from Maharashtra you have 3 options.

1) IITJEE: After cracking IITJEE you can persue B.tech from IIT,Bombay.This year IITJEE has already been held on 11.04.10, so you can appear for it next time.

2) MH-CET: After cracking it you get admission to any good college in MAharashtra, if you are Maharashtra domicile then you can get into one fo the best engineering college there.You has also missed the chance for appearing for it this time,so better next time.

3) AIEEE: You can find admission into any good institute in Maharashtra, after cracking AIEEE with good rank at least 50,000 state rank for getting into good engineering college.If you had not appeared for it then this time also you had missed the chance.

Best of Luck
4th May 2010, 12:53 AM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Hello

Actally you should have kept yourself updated about different exam notification since now most of the exam forms are out and their last date of application of form is also over.

So dont worry you can try for entrance exams next year. Work hard 1 year for AIEEE,IIT JEE,BITSAT and next year you can come up strongly

And keep checking sucesscds.net for latest updates about entrance exams.

Cheers
4th May 2010, 02:21 AM
ricky.azeem

Thumbs up Re: Mechanical engineering or automobile engineering, which stream should i choose if I have interest in automobiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiyaz View Post
Followings are some of Best engineering colleges of Hydrabad which are good faculty for Mechanical Engineering:-

Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology.

Deccan College of Engineering & Technology.

Greenfort Engineering College.

J N T U College of Engineering.

Lords Institute of Engineering & Technology.

M J College of Engineering & Technology.

Mahaveer Institute of Science & Technology.

Muffakham Jah College of Engineering and Technology (MJCET): is one of the leading engineering colleg of Hydrabad.
For more information you visit its website- http://www.mjcollege.ac.in

If I would be in your place then I will chose Mechanical Engineering,thats because after B.tech in Mechanical one can chose from wide variety of options at M.tech rangeing from Automobile to Aerospace Engineering and scope of that is far better then just persuing Automobile Engineering.

However, decision id your's

BEst of Luck

Regards
~Faiyaz~
Thank You Faiyaz bhai,i have also heard alot about mjcet but is it good enough to carry its demand in foriegn countries like the iit's & nit's do,if not den which colleges carry more syllabus demand.

And i guess now am pretty much sure about mech engineering,and am also writing the eamcet on 30 may.

Thanx for your support brother.
4th May 2010, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

but many people are saying that automobile sector is widely expanding & could anna university affiliated colleges r good for this......... is entrance exam is there for anna university .....for 2010
4th May 2010, 02:02 PM
quddus

Hi frienr.................

Mechanical or automobile engineering are likely same and your option is good, both had a better scope and from the same way.
It is not different as automobile comes under mechanical engineering so you have both choice and both are sufficient for you.
If your interest is in automobiles then go with it but one think i explain you, if you choose mechanical engineering then you will also study automobiles in it and collect more knowledge .
All the best and thank you!
5th May 2010, 09:11 PM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
but many people are saying that automobile sector is widely expanding & could anna university affiliated colleges r good for this......... is entrance exam is there for anna university .....for 2010
Dear friend
One thing is very much clear that if it would be so then this branch or course would be offered in IITs also. This course is not offered in IITs and mostly colleges is because people know it very well that automobile is good for specialization which is generally done in master degree.
One thing is very clear that mechanical engineer can work in any motor company as well as in any industry whether it is a steel plant, petroleum refinery, power plant, building construction or any industry. But the automobile engg is specified for motor company.
I think now it is very much obvious that which branch has wider scopes.
Anyways, If you are really interested in Automobile then go for B Tech in Mechanical Engg and then do your masters in Automobile that would be the best as per your choice and future prospects both.

Thank You
All the best.
7th May 2010, 04:45 PM
Unregistered

Smile Re: Mechanical engineering or automobile engineering, which stream should i choose if I have interest in automobiles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiyaz View Post
Well dear you have asked a Good question.

Let me explain briefly.

What is Mechanical Engineering?

According to me It is the branch of Engineering which deals mainly with the application of physics and material science for developing.designing and maintaining Machines and Tools.

Types/Branches/Sub-Branches of Mechnical Engineering

Power plant Engineering.
Automobile/Automotive Engineering.
Aeronautical Engineering.
Aerospace Engineering.
Naval Architech Engineering.
Tools & Machinery Engineering.
Marine Engineering.
Mechatronics Engineering.
Robotics Engineering (In design and operating or we can say except Memory part).
CAD/CAM/CAE.

All these are directly or indirectly linked with Mechanical engineering and so called parts of it.
Infact Mechanical Engineering is known as father and Electrical Engineering as the Mother of all engineering branches as said by a scientist of old age.Also Mechanical Engineering alone has 60 subjects.

Career Scope

So,weather you persue Mechanical Engineering in Automobile or Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Automobile both are of same value.

Here I would like to tell you that Acquiring B.tech (Aotumobile Engineering) in India is very easy but you wont be sucessfull unless you have persued that degree from a good institute like IIT's or NIT's etc.As also because I have seen Automobile Engineers who had passed from normal institute is working in garages etc.One of the reason behind this is that India has Additional 40,000 Mechanical Engineers.

Hope this little discussion will be helpfull for you in taking right decision.

Best of Luck
THANK U sir,it really cleared my doubt.
20th May 2010, 01:05 PM
Unregistered

subjects under Mechanical Engineering
21st May 2010, 11:07 PM
phuchi

hi friend,
if you are take admission in B.Tech in mechanical department..
so you can learn some part of automobile .if you work hard in automobile than you can get more success..
all the best
22nd May 2010, 03:43 PM
atanu
Senior Member++

dear friend,

really it s fact that automobile engineering is comes from the mechanical engineering....
but as you are too much intrested or you are egar for the automobile...
then you must choose it....
mechanical engineering learn about all the things such as about power plant,automobiles,production...
but if you will take automobile then you will only concentrate upon the automobile..
so it will be better.
24th May 2010, 06:00 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
subjects under Mechanical Engineering

Particularly At Bachelor level followings are included in the syllabus:-

Statics and dynamics
Strength of materials and solid mechanics
Instrumentation and measurement
Thermodynamics, heat transfer, energy conversion, and HVAC
Fluid mechanics and fluid dynamics
Mechanism design (including kinematics and dynamics)
Manufacturing technology or processes
Hydraulics and pneumatics
Mathematics - in particular, calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra.
Engineering design
Mechatronics and control theory
Material Engineering
Drafting, CAD (including solid modeling), and CAM.
ETC..........
24th May 2010, 06:54 PM
Aditya.addy
Senior Member+

dear friend,
if you are interested in automobile engineering then please take automobile .because it is a fact that something which you are interested in doing will likely yield better results than something which you pursue forcefully.
all the best.
27th May 2010, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

hi i am just pass 2 and i want to go for Electrical and electronics engineering is there any future
1st June 2010, 01:14 PM
Unregistered

SIR. i have got 47000 rank in aieee.. and 4700 rank in delhi. i am highly interested in doing mech. engg. can u plz tell which collage i can get with this rank or should i drop one year.
2nd June 2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky.azeem View Post
I have just finished my 12th from the CBSE board in hyderabad,India and now i am planning for my higher studies.....i really need some help for choosing between mechanical engineering & automobile engineering.....as i have a lot of interest in automobile sector,i really wanna do something in automobile,i have heard that there are sub-branches under mechanical engineering,if yes what are they and does automobile comes under it?....does the separate automobile engineering & automobile under mechanical engineering are of same demand and type?......is it better to choose automobile engineering alone or automobile branch through mechanical engineering?......any help would be much awaited and pleased......am damn confused....help me out.

Thanx
compared to automobile engg.mechanical engg. has more oppurtunites inour country and more over mech.engg is a evengreen subject....
4th June 2010, 11:22 PM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

At this rank NIT is not possible i guess but you can get mechanical in the lower colleges who are under CCB counseling. So try for them.

Or you could even try for your state CET exam and check how much you can score.

Cheers
5th June 2010, 12:02 PM
lonelyryan

if u have interest in automobile then u have to take automobile engineering....
because in mechanical engineering u will not get more ability.....
5th June 2010, 04:22 PM
lonelyryan

u have good rank my freind so plz dont drop a year.......

u can get good colleges .just apply online to different colleges of your choice ..you will surely get one.............best of luck.......
10th June 2010, 10:56 PM
Unregistered

being an automobile engineer i will get a job in automobile related companies but if i go for mechanical engineering,I can get a job in automobile any other companies related to any machines!!! is it so???? therefore job opportunities r much higher in mechanical!!????
11th June 2010, 01:14 AM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Quote:

Thanx
automobile engineering is not in demand these days in india. But if you are interested in it then you can do it but you will not find any job in india. In my opinion you must take mechanical engineering. It is in great demand and government job is also possible through it.
13th June 2010, 06:10 PM
compaq123
Senior Member+

only choose mechanical engineering because mechanical engineer also studying in automobile engineering.so how can choose automobile.
14th June 2010, 01:39 PM
Unregistered

I have passed class12 and have cleared AIEEE with rank 16000 . do i have any chance of getting
admission in DTU or NSIT........what is the scope of biotech in the near future?
which engineering stream do you suggest that would have bright future in next 4 years
22nd June 2010, 10:51 PM
Unregistered

is lovely professional university good or average university for mechanical engineering,plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz reply me soon.
23rd June 2010, 07:48 PM
Kumar Mayank

Mechanical is a much popular and vast field while automobile is obscure. Hence
I would suggest you to go for automobile and it has core companies too. Same for mechanical. Very few students are found interested in the former stream.Best of luck.
23rd June 2010, 08:26 PM
sandy B

hello friend,according to my openion you may do b.tech in mechanical engg.but i sugguest dont do b.tech in automobile engg.as
automobile engg is a specialisation of mechanical engg.so if you do b.tech in me then you can do m.tech in automobile that will be very helpfull for your carrier.
23rd June 2010, 10:47 PM
Unregistered

thanks
24th June 2010, 12:36 AM
abhim_soni

you have to choose the the as per your interest;
yes there are some sub branches in them;
24th June 2010, 04:07 PM
August
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: Mechanical engineering or automobile engineering, which stream should i choose if I have interest in automobiles?

dear friend
i want to make ur confusion clear in this way

mechanical engineering deals with all the types machinery,product manufacturing,maintenance,engines,design etc.

u have thought right that auto mobile is a sub branch of mechanical but it is so vast that it is separately makes a different branch.

under automobile all the types of automobile engines,different types of vehicle manufacturing,design of vehicles everything comes under it.

as personally u have interest in it so i will suggest u to go for it.

after investment of foreign companies like BMW,JLR,CHEVEORLET and many more in india as well as domestic companies like TATA,BAJAJ,MAHINDRA are also increasing at a high speed so u dont worry and move.

all the best 4 ur carrier.
24th June 2010, 04:17 PM
karthu
Senior Member+

Hai
If you are interested in automobiles,its history and its working please go for automobile engg.Otherwise if you have to be thorough with the internal parts and machinery you go for mechanical engg. Automile engg is a part of mechanical engg.DO AS YOU WISH.
OK BYE
29th June 2010, 11:49 AM
kartheek raj

Wink Reply: Mechanical engineering or automobile engineering

you should choose for mechanical engineering.Why because Auto mobile engineering is a application of mechanical engineering.If complete B-Tech with auto mobile engineering you can able to get jobs only on Auto mobile side only.But if you complete mechanical engineering you can able to get jobs from many fields other than Auto mobile field.Before taking the branch you ought to think a little bit more about the other branches Which have more important than it.Why because you are choosing not only a B-Tech branch but also your life.Don't forget my words.I wish best from you.All the best for your future.Thank you my dear friend.

L.kartheek,Hyderabad,A.P.
2nd July 2010, 11:53 AM
Unregistered

i completed B.E Aeronautical Eng in 2003..after dat i went to London to study..M.S..there i dropped my plan,,bcz of high expensive..and i had 2 years experience in catiav5 ... now very difficult to get job,bcz of 7 years gap..now i had planned to do M.Tech (production engineering).. whether is there any good job opportunities?please guide me.nasir
2nd July 2010, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

i completed B.E Aeronautical Eng in 2003..after dat i went to London to study..M.S..there i dropped my plan,,bcz of high expensive..and i had 2 years experience in catiav5 ... now very difficult to get job,bcz of 7 years gap..now i had planned to do M.Tech (production engineering).. whether is there any good job opportunities?please guide me.nasir
2nd July 2010, 08:11 PM
Hitha Nanjappa

well... mechanical gives you an overview of different aspects and applications but automobile is a specialisation in one area..
the course content is 90% same.. so i suggest, u do mechanical at undergraduate level and u could do automobile for Mtech.. or if you are not interested for further studies, you could still get a job in automobile sector..
3rd July 2010, 05:07 PM
Shagun Makin

Quote:

Thanx
Dear both are good branches and if you have interest in Automobiles then you should prefer Automobile engineering because when you will study about automobiles it will interest you the most.
and on the other hand if you take mechanical engg. then you have to study about the machines.
if you have interest in machines then you should take mechanical engg.

Think and then go forward for it.
BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!
5th July 2010, 05:57 PM
Gop
Senior Member+

Hi friend, Went through your Query and the subsequent replies.

Most probably, U would have learnt What Mech Engg., and Automobile Engg is all about.

Being graduated in Mech Engg., and have undergone some specialisation in automobile, I would like to add some more to this flow.

My opinion is If you areparticularly in Automobile, Then take Automobile Engineering as your subject or goal. Because,

Though they are interrelated, They are different in their aspect.

Automobile Subject is only a part subject in Mechanical Engineering which adds up in second and third year of study. Mainly in 4th, 5th and 6th semester.

But Automobile Engineering is fully(nook and corner) about Automobile.(Building,functioning,tolerance,strengt h,failure, old gone, new come etc etc)

Now to talk abt scope, Both has its own and great scope. Its your ability to achieve, that show out.

So dont get confused. If u are interested in auto, Go for Automobile Engg.,

All the Best.
12th July 2010, 05:15 PM
Dkiran

hi friend,i know you are really in panic state,dont be panic,in todays world both are having full demand,but rather automobile mechanical has got much more priority,and as you are interested in automobile itself and you want to do some thing in it,then it is better to go fpr automobile itself.
All The Best.
14th July 2010, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

is mechanical engineering suitable for girls?
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?