15th June 2012, 11:35 PM
rockstarrocks

Default Re: Difference between MCA and a Computer Engineer?

Hi dear,

MCA or Master of Computer Application is a general Master's degree course related with computer application.

It simultaneously deals with software and hardware functions and implementations.

On the other hand, a B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering is a technical bachelor's degree course, which is also related with software and hardware.

But the difference in these two are that an MCA student knows the theory part of software and hardware more than a B.Tech student.

And a b.Tech student knows the technical implementation of things better, and the application and theory part is strong for an MCA .

More or less,goals of both are same and job prospects also are equal for both.

Many reputed Indian and foreign technical organisations hire fresh MCA students and B.Tech graduates every year. Job profiles are same in both cases.

So i think that your doubt has been cleared now.

Thanks

Related Questions:
  1. Difference between MCA IT and Management and Science? Should I go for MCA IT or Science?
  2. Difference between Ph.D after MCA and Ph.D after M.Tech?
  3. What is the difference between electronics and communication engineer and maintenance engineer?
  4. What is the difference between production engineer and mechanical engineer?
  5. Difference between MBA and MCA? Is MCA a good career option?
  6. What is the difference between MS and MCA?
  7. In which colleges can I apply for software engineering? Which are the other colleges in Delhi?
  8. How to take Ph.D programme in computer science through correspondence? I have done my MCA from Madras University and working in Dubai since 6 years as computer engineer
  9. Which is the best stream to pursue after completing B.Sc Computer Science? Which University in India offers MCA Regular course? -- [New]
  10. Difference between BCA and BSc? Is Computer Science a different area or does it come under computer engineering? Is B.Tech better than BSc?
  11. DIT, Dehradun or Graphic Era University, which is best for MCA in respect of placement? What is the difference between MCA and MCA lateral entry?
  12. Is it beneficial to study MCA for B.Sc(PCM) candidate? Details of MCA course?
  13. What is the difference between education and correspondence education?
  14. What is the difference between PhD after MCA and PhD after M.Tech?
  15. What is MCA admission procedure? What is the syllabus of MCA? Study material for MCA?
  16. What is the criteria to study software engineering after completing higher secondary examination
  17. What is the difference between MCA and Integrated MCA?
  18. Work and responsibility of a Junior Engineer is equal to Asst. Engineer than why so difference in between their pays?
16th June 2012, 12:34 AM
sheshadev senapati
Senior Member++

Hello friend,

MCA or Master of Computer Application is a general Master's degree course related with computer application.

It simultaneously deals with software and hardware functions and implementations.

On the other hand, a B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering is a technical bachelor's degree course, which is also related with software and hardware.

But the difference in these two are that an MCA student knows the theory part of software and hardware more than a B.Tech student.

And a b.Tech student knows the technical implementation of things better, and the application and theory part is strong for an MCA .

More or less,goals of both are same and job prospects also are equal for both.

Many reputed Indian and foreign technical organisations hire fresh MCA students and B.Tech graduates every year. Job profiles are same in both cases.

So i think that your doubt has been cleared now.

All the best!
thanks
3rd November 2012, 06:45 PM
Unregistered

now i am studying bsc computer science. i was so interested to work in reasearch side.can i do mca or be after completing my bsc degree.please tell me.
15th November 2012, 07:13 PM
joyshreenath
Senior Member++

Hello,
See MCA is taken as a B.Tech equivalent in many colleges. This information can be given to you while you are in the college only. You ask about this to your office staff. But having said that MCA is not a B.E. course. MCA or master's in computer applications is a technological course and B.E. is an engineering course. Although this is also a technological course, but there is a difference of course curriculum between computer engineer and MCA. You can become a computer engineer only when you clear the entrance examinations like JEE or AIEEE or EAMCET. In MCA you do not need it. MCA is a generalized genre and any graduate in science and commerce genre can opt for it. Whereas for being a computer engineer only science degree holders are welcome. But from job point of view, both are same and cater to the same IT industries.
27th November 2012, 06:56 AM
Unregistered

MCA is Equivalent to ME (Computer Science and Engineering)

Masters is always MORE and HIGH VALUE than a Bachelors.

It%u2019s really very Wrong to Compare BE / Btech to MCA, because, as you all know that BE / Btech is NOT Eligible for doing Ph.D (CS/IT), as MCA degree is Eligible for Ph.D

The Person, Who Compare BE / Btech to MCA should study about the Difference between a Bachelor%u2019s and a Master%u2019s Degree.

MCA is a Post Graduate (PG) Professional Degree, Where as BE / Btech is just an Under Graduate (UG) Degree. So, MCA Degree Holders usually get MORE Respect and Recognition than a BE / Btech.

MCA is Equivalent to ME (Computer Science and Engineering).

Particularly, MCA with Only B.Sc. (Computer Science) background is Equivalent to ME (Computer Science and Engineering).

B.Sc. Computer Science (3 Yrs) MCA (3 Yrs) = 6 Years.

BE Computer Science (4 Yrs) ME (2 Yrs) = 6 Years.

MCA and ME both are Equal.

Companies are giving Equal priority to both MCA and ME.

Two Master%u2019s Degrees, MCA and ME, are treated Same for jobs and there is no difference in the competence ratings.

Both MCA and ME (Computer Science and Engineering) Professional Degree courses, the contents of theory and practical syllabus are Same.

MCA and ME Degree holders are Equal to each other.

MCA %u2013 Master of Computer Applications.

ME %u2013 Master of Engineering (Computer Science and Engineering).

For More Information, Please Visit:

MCAMEDegree.com

Thanks and best regards to you all.
24th July 2013, 03:27 PM
Unregistered

MCA is Equivalent to ME (Computer Science and Engineering)
Masters is always MORE and HIGH VALUE than a Bachelors.

It%u2019s really very Wrong to Compare BE / Btech to MCA, because, as you all know that BE / Btech is NOT Eligible for doing Ph.D (CS/IT), as MCA degree is Eligible for Ph.D

The Person, Who Compare BE / Btech to MCA should study about the Difference between a Bachelor%u2019s and a Master%u2019s Degree.

MCA is a Post Graduate (PG) Professional Degree, Where as BE / Btech is just an Under Graduate (UG) Degree. So, MCA Degree Holders usually get MORE Respect and Recognition than a BE / Btech.

MCA is Equivalent to ME (Computer Science and Engineering).

Particularly, MCA with Only B.Sc. (Computer Science) background is Equivalent to ME (Computer Science and Engineering).

B.Sc. Computer Science (3 Yrs) MCA (3 Yrs) = 6 Years.

BE Computer Science (4 Yrs) ME (2 Yrs) = 6 Years.

MCA and ME both are Equal.

Companies are giving Equal priority to both MCA and ME.

Two Master%u2019s Degrees, MCA and ME, are treated Same for jobs and there is no difference in the competence ratings.

Both MCA and ME (Computer Science and Engineering) Professional Degree courses, the contents of theory and practical syllabus are Same.

MCA and ME Degree holders are Equal to each other.

MCA %u2013 Master of Computer Applications.

ME %u2013 Master of Engineering (Computer Science and Engineering).

Thanks and best regards to you all.
26th September 2013, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by solution View Post
hello dear
there have basically no difference between mca & computer engg.

the basic difference is for getting degree of b.tech you have to pass 8 semister.& more subjects than mca.mca have only 4 semister.

but practically it industry gives equal value to b.tech & mca studens......
for your kind information, mca have 6 semister.
if you are doing integrated programme BCA+MCA then mca have 4 semister. over all 6+4=10 semister.
28th October 2013, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by solution View Post
hello dear
there have basically no difference between mca & computer engg.

the basic difference is for getting degree of b.tech you have to pass 8 semister.& more subjects than mca.mca have only 4 semister.

but practically it industry gives equal value to b.tech & mca studens......
there is 6 sem. for mca
8th April 2014, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

In most of the jobs MCA students are preferred over b.tech ones because they are available at low wages. Isn' t it unfair?
11th May 2014, 11:23 AM
nareshsunrise
Senior Member++

MCA stands for Master of Computer Applications. This is a 3 year Post Graduation program being offered by many of the colleges in India.

B.Tech stands for Bachelor of Technology. This is a 4 year Graduation program being offered by several Engineering colleges in India.

The admission for both the course will be given on the basis of performance in the Entrance Exam.

Soon after the completion of both these courses, the candidates can try for job opportunities in top IT companies of India like
TCS
WIPRO
INFOSYS
GOOGLE
ORACLE
DELL
DELLOITE etc.

After joining in the job, the job designation that is being offered for both the candidates is Software Engineer.

But only thing is it will take 4 years time to complete B.Tech course and 6 or 7 years of time to complete MCA course.

The companies will treat both the candidates in the same way by offering same salary and same responsibilities.

You did not mention your highest level of academic qualification.

If you have completed your 12th class, I suggest you to opt for B.Tech course only.

The admission for this course will be given on the basis of performance in the Entrance Exam.

Have good preparation for the same and crack it.

Wish you all the best.
4th June 2014, 09:17 PM
Unregistered

In IT field which one having more scope mca in mangment or mca in science or msc(computer science)
4th June 2014, 09:24 PM
Unregistered

which master degree having highest scope in IT field mca in mangment or mca in science or mcs in computer science
17th September 2014, 09:09 AM
Unregistered

The students who have more technical knowledge, and his/her work can be applied in the latest upcoming trends are better.
8th September 2015, 10:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
after doing mca one can be called as softwareengineer. can they put engineer in front of their name. and what isa difference between a Be or BTECH computer engineer and mca.are job aspects same for both the two. please do reply
MCA Graduates are also Engineers only because their syllabus and BE AND BTech cs and IS are most similar. It is not a matter that they put Engineer in front of their name. The course name may do not contain engineer means it doesn't mean that they are not engineers. Whether course name B Tech contains word engineer?
8th September 2015, 11:17 PM
sagar vedapathak

Post Re: Difference between MCA and a Computer Engineer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
after doing mca one can be called as softwareengineer. can they put engineer in front of their name. and what isa difference between a Be or BTECH computer engineer and mca.are job aspects same for both the two. please do reply
MCA is also an engineering course hence it is there in engineering colleges, and it comes under the VTU MTech Computer Science Engineering Board and AICTE pls go and check. And it doesn't mean that it is not engineering course if that doesn't contain word Engineer. Whether course name like BTech and MTech course name contains word Engineer? can u say they are not engineers? Engineering depend upon what he study not in its course name.
24th March 2016, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

1.I'm mechanical engineer and am also good at java programming. presently i am working as design engineer in power plant sector and i want to be a software engineer. i am going to do P.G. in comp sci so that i can get some opportunity. will this workout?
2. if am doing then M.E. software enginner is better or M.C.A is better for job opportunity?
4th April 2016, 03:51 PM
Unregistered

what is the actual task of work of company secretary in practice while secreterial audit and other work?
22nd March 2018, 07:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
MCA is a master`s degree in computer applications
it can be done after completion of a bachelor degree
they can get a good job in software field
computer engineering is a dedicate dengg bachelor degree
mca students deals with computer database management where as computer engg mostly deals with programming part
I disagree with you. I'm a MCA too. I am dealing with both programming and database management as well.
22nd July 2020, 12:10 PM
Unregistered

Who is better career mca or b tech in it sector and which is better
14th October 2020, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

Post Re: Difference between MCA and a Computer Engineer?

Okay so first of all one should respect every degree...there is of course different between both of them. Engineering is preferred over BCA n MCA degree...yes we study more subjects and not just programming but CSE/IT students have more knowledge than BCA ,MCA passed.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?