12th April 2012, 10:41 PM
sarbanando

Can I apply for IES in electrical engineering after completing B.Tech in Electronics and Communication engineering?

Respected Sir/Madam, I am Rajdeep Dey from Kolkta. I am a B.Tech in electronics & Communication Engg.Can I apply for IES in Electrical Engineering? Kindly reply me....Thanking You!

13th April 2012, 10:08 AM
venkataprakash.v
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I apply for IES in electrical engineering after completing B.Tech in Electronics and Communication engineering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbanando View Post
Respected Sir/Madam, I am Rajdeep Dey from Kolkta. I am a B.Tech in electronics & Communication Engg.Can I apply for IES in Electrical Engineering? Kindly reply me....Thanking You!

IES Stands for Engineering Service Examination and this examination is conducted by Union Public Service Commission Once in a year .

Engineering Branches are :-
-----------------------------
  • Civil Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
Or equivalent Qualification .

Education Qualification :-
-------------------------
The aspirant need to completed engineering degree from a recognized University or equivalent qualification and there is no percentage bar required for this examination . Final year candidates may also eligible to apply for this examination . Those who are completed M.Sc degree in Wireless Communication , Electronics , Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as Special Subjects .

Age limits :-
--------------

The aspirant must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years as on 1st august of the year of examination and Upper age limits is given to the reserved categories .

Important dates :-
--------------------
  • Date of Notification :- 10.03.12
  • Last date for receipt of application :- 09.04.12
  • Date of examination :- 15.06.12

Syllabus of IES Exam :-
------------------------
  • General ability
  • Conventional Papers
  • Objective Papers

Online Application :-
--------------------

The aspirant may apply Online Using the following Official website :- Click here !!!

Notification :- Click here !!!

Payment Mode :-
--------------------
  • Pay the fees through Internet Banking
  • Pay the fees direct any SBI Branches
  • Pay the fees through Credit / Debit Card

More details , Visit the official website :- Click Here !!!
13th April 2012, 11:51 AM
dhirajen18
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Can I apply for IES in electrical engineering after completing B.Tech in Electronics and Communication engineering?

Yes, you can apply IES in any branch with CIVIL/ELECTRICAL/MECHANICAL/ELECTRONICS & TELECOMMUNICATION.

IES stands for INDIAN ENGINEERING SERVICE conducted by UPSC once every year for recruitment of Engineers in the top Technical post under Central Govt.

The eligible candidate must be an Indian National having either appear for the final Graduation Degree exam in Engineering or pass in any stream from a recognised University within the age of 21 to 30 years with upper age relaxation up to 5 years for SC/ST candidate and up to 3 years for OBC candidate.

The selection is through written exam followed by personal interview. The written exam comprises of General Ability, Conventional paper and objective papers.

Being a B.Tech. degree holder in Electronics & Telecommunication you can give exam of IES in Electrical provided you can prepare the same before exam.

For more information you may log on to http://www.upsc.gov.in
14th July 2012, 03:54 PM
Unregistered

I am sai.I am studying B.TECH thirdyear.Can I attempt for IES?
11th August 2013, 12:49 AM
shivam2k6

Dear Friend,

IES Stands for Indian Engineering Service Examination.

This examination is conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) every year.

The examination has two stages:

1. Prelims
2. Mains

You can apply from any of these four branches:

1. Electrical
2. Electronics
3. Civil
4. Electrical

A student from any stream can apply from any of the above four papers.

For more information: www.upsc.gov.in

All the best.
Thank you.
11th August 2013, 01:12 AM
vikash kumar prajapati
Senior Member+++

Quote:
Yes,you will be eligible to apply for UPSC IES(Indian Engineering Services) Exam as you have completed your four year's Bachelor engineering degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from west Bengal University.

Age Limit :-
  • Your minimum age should be 21 years.
  • Your age should not be above 30 years.
Examination pattern :-
  • Paper I - Objective Type.
  • Paper II - Descriptive Type (You have to answer the questions in your own language).
Paper I(Objective type) details :
  • This paper will include three sets.
  • Each set will be of 02 hours.
  • Each set will be of 200 marks.
  • Set A will include questions from General ability test and General studies.
  • Set B and Set C will include questions from Engineering paper that is from Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.
Paper II(Descriptive Type) details :
  • This paper will include two question set.
  • Each set will be of 03 hours.
  • Each set will be of 200 marks.
  • Set A and Set B will include questions from Engineering Paper that is from Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.
Important Dates for UPSC IES Exam 2014 :
  • Date of Notification - 08/02/2014.
  • last date to fill the online application form - 10/03/2014.
  • Date of examination - 24/05/2014.
You can visit its official website for other details.Its official website is www.upsc.gov.in

11th August 2013, 02:52 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

You are definitely eligible for the Indian Engineering Service entrance exam. The exam is conducted for jobs in various government departments. These departments are dedicated for various fields like infrastructure, telecommunications and even defense.

Indian Engineering Service is very reputed entrance exam. But at the same time it is also quite a difficult exam to crack. Which means that you will have to study very hard to clear the Indian Engineering Service.

The Indian Engineering Service is basically conducted in 4 branches of B.Tech course. These branches are:-

Civil Engineering

Mechanical Engineering

Electronics and Communication Engineering

Electrical Engineering

Since you belong to Electronics and Communications, you are eligible for the exam. But I will recommend that you stick to the same branch for the Indian Engineering Service. Go for IES exam in ECE. Do not change the branch to Electrical Engineering.

In the Indian Engineering Service, the course for the exam is taken from the 4 branches mentioned above. If you went for exam in Electrical Engineering, you will have to prepare for the course from same branch.

It will be very difficult to do so and frankly makes no sense since you belong to Electronics and Communications. Preparing for the Indian Engineering Service exam for Electronics and Communications will be far more comfortable for you. Therefore I will urge you to stick to ECE.

IES Eligibility

Nationality: It should be Indian to appear for the exam.

Qualification: B.Tech/B.E. degree from recognized college.

Marks: There is no criteria for marks.

Final year students can also apply for the exam.

Your age should be at least 21 years as on August 1 of examination year.

Candidate should be less than 30 years as on August 1.

There is 3 years relaxation in upper age limit for OBC.

The relaxation for the same is 5 years for SC/ST.
11th August 2013, 09:32 PM
aryan5107241
Senior Member+++++

Dear Rajdeep,

You are absolutely eligible for the IES Exam if you have completed B.Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering.

The Acronym "IES" stands for Indian Engineering Services Exam. This Exam is conducted once every year by the Union Public Service Commission.

All those candidates who have completed B.Tech/B.E. in any stream from any recognized college/university are eligible to appear for the IES Exam.

The only thing that you ahve to keep in mind that you have to choose any one stream from the below mentioned for the examination , that means the questions will be asked to you from that very stream.

The Streams from which you have to choose one are ;

* Civil Engineering

* Mechanical Engineering

* Electronics & Communication Engineering

* Electronics & Electrical Engineering

The Eligibility Criteria for IES Exam are :

** The candidate must have completed B.Tech/B.E. in any stream from any UGC Recognized university.

** Candidates pursuing B.Tech/B.E. in final year can also apply.

** The age of the candidate must lie in between 21-30 years.

** There is a relaxation of 3 years for OBC Candidates as well as of 5 years for SC/ST candidates.

** There is no any percentage criteria.

** The candidate must be an Indian Citzien.

This is the ifnormation i have to the best of my knowledge regarding your query. Hope the information will help you to the extent you want.

12th August 2013, 06:12 PM
aashisranjan784
Senior Member+++++

Dear friend

The acronym IES stands for the Indian Engineering services.From my point if view it is the best UPSC entrance exam for engineers.

>>It is also called Engineering services examination.

Now coming to the eligibility criteria for the UPSC IES exam:

1.Academic qualification:

>>Bachelor's degree in any discipline of engineering /technology from a recognized university.or Master 's degree holder in physics ,mathematics are also eligible to apply for the exam.

>>If you are in final year of your bachelor's degree then also eligible to apply for the exam.

>>there is one important limitation for the candidates who are not from core branches of engineering that they have to give the exam in the following core branches of engineering only:

1.Civil engineering

2.Mechanical engineering

3.Electrical engineering

4.Electronics and telecommunication engineering.

Since you are from Electronics and communication engineering so do not worry you are eligible for the exam.

2.Age limitations:

The general age limit is 21-30 years with three years age relaxation to obc and five years to sc/st in upper age limit.

3.No of attempts:

General:4

OBC:7

SC/ST : no limit.

4.Examination pattern:

5.Important dates for the IES 2014 exam:

Date of notification:15/03/2014

Last date of receiving application:14/04/2014

Date of examination:24/06/2014

You can apply at the www.upsconline.nic.in when the registration starts.For any more information please leave your message here or visit www.upsc.gov.in

For best reference books for IES exam preparation please click here .

Hope the information helps you.

all the best

aashisranjan784
13th August 2013, 01:42 AM
SK@S
Senior Member+++++

YES, you are eligible to write the UPSC conducted Engineering Services Exams

To apply for this exam you have to wait for UPSC to advertise the positions

Once advertisement is released than you have to apply online from the website http://upsconline.nic.in/

Now you can apply for this exam in the year 2014 only

Fees to apply is Rs 200
But for SC/ST/Women candidates fees is zero

Educational Qualifications required to apply for this exams is:

>> BE/BTECH pass in any stream
OR
>> Passed section A and Section B of Instution examinations of Institution of Engineers
Or
>> Graduate Membership Examination of Institute of electronics and Telecommunication Engineers

Age-
Minimum 21 years
Maximum 30 years
OBC gets 3 years and SC/ST gets 5 years age relaxations

So i would suggest that you should start preparing for this exams right now.

Selection Procedure Involves:
>>Written Test
>> Personality Test

Written Test:

It will have two sections
Sections 1 will have objective questions
Section 2 will have subjective questions
13th August 2013, 10:09 AM
ece304
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am sai.I am studying B.TECH thirdyear.Can I attempt for IES?

>>Sorry to disappoint you eligibility is final year students of BE.Based on the age limit you can apply for that.

>>Based upon you branch you prepare for that from nowonwards and refer the text books of all subjects of your respective branch,

>>That's all then you can crack that exam.........

Best of luck....
16th August 2013, 01:32 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
IES Stands for Indian Engineering Service examination and this examination is conducted by Union Public Service Commission Once in a year.

If you have completed B-Tech / BE OR M.Sc. degree or equivalent with Wireless Communication, Electronics, Radio Physics or Radio Engineering as a special subject is also applicable for IES exam.

If you have completed B-Tech or BE degree in ECE then you are applicable to write IES exam in Electrical Engineering

The applicant age should between 21 yrs to 30 yrs.

SC/ST = 5 years .
OBC =3 years .
PWD =10 years .
Ex-Servicemen = 5 years .

I have attached the syllabus for IES exam for Electrical department so please check it out .

For more information of IES exam , you can also visit http://upsc.gov.in
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?