14th December 2010, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

Grammatical mistakes during conversation : How to avoid them and how to speak English fluently? Do software companies consider such mistakes?

Hi...!!! wishing u a vry happy good evening:-)
First let me give a short intro about me...
#Name:sneha.N
#Studying second year computer science and engg.(INDIA)

I cannot say that am an begginer in english courses.....To be frank,i have acquired my education only in english medium from beginning and also i have scored 187 out of 200 for english in my board xams......still i feel myself that i make simple grammatical mistakes(such as using had instead of had been...etc...) when i make conversations with others. My friends do say that am good in english but i want to be perfect with this language so that i can be more confident wen i go abroad.I really want to be an outstanding gal in my campus with my own style of speaking in english. But i didnt find a good guidance for it till now.So pls help me to make my own expectations with me fullfilled. Also say me whether these simple grammatical mistakes will be taken to consideration wen i attend interviews in software companies.
Waiting eagerly for ur guidance...

14th December 2010, 11:02 PM
Pathfinder
Senior Member++++

Default Re: Grammatical mistakes during conversation : How to avoid them and how to speak English fluently? Do software companies consider such mistakes?

Well to be honest your English is really good(judged by what you have written)

But since you are talking about the mistakes you commit while actual conversation I can say that many face such problems.

You know what its not about that you are less fluent in English language. Its all about confidence which ultimately forces you to make mistakes

So I would advice you to first work on your confidence rest everything will fall in place.

Apart from that what you can do is try watching few Indian english channels like Times Now and NDTV. You will surely grasp lots of thing from how their reporters present themselves

Also read lots of magazines and Newspapers. But the think which matters is actual practice which I guess you will improve with time. Talk to different people ..Dont be concious while talking as thats also the reason of getting demotivated...

So all the best
14th December 2010, 11:15 PM
lvnareshsunrise
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: Grammatical mistakes during conversation : How to avoid them and how to speak English fluently? Do software companies consider such mistakes?

Dear friend,

Grammatical mistakes matters a lot in some cases, sometimes these mistakes will change the entire meaning of the sentence.

Rama killed
Rama was killed.

In the two sentences the person who is being killed is different. If you use first sentence instead of the second, then there is completely different meaning.

To be perfect in English grammar, concentrate on

1.parts of speech
2.articles
3.prepositions
4.tenses (utmost care)
5.voice changing
6.direct and indirect speech
7.degrees of comparison
8.If-clauses

and other concepts.

Even if you are having excellent knowledge, if you are unable to express it without grammatical mistakes, then these silly mistakes will be taken severely.

All the best.
14th December 2010, 11:25 PM
RAKESH KUMAR.N
Senior Member+

1)your English is good in my point if view, with this English Knowledge you can do better in the Easy Writing and more, but I think you confident level is the only problem,Bolt in speaking is very important,but most of them don't do tha with Friends

2)Try to speak with your Friends in English and listen more and more English songs with Lyrics in your Hand,that help you very much

3)Read more News paper and Magazine ,what ever you like, and try to read the News paper loudly in Home, that help you to increase your confident level

4)Watch BBC News and English Serial and Movies like love story,Drama and AXN channel

5)this website contain more about discussion and Grammar and Busuu Talk with with others www.busuu.com

Best of luck
15th December 2010, 05:38 AM
ravik1214
Senior Member++++

Dear friend , your english is really good as far as writing skill is concerned. you mentioned that you commit simple grammetical mistake while speaking. this is not a big issue because allmost 85 % students face the same problem. you would be able to speak error free english with fluency by the end of 3rd year of your b.tech. it is automatic process.but if you want to achieve better than that then read english newspaper, watch english movies ,english news e.t.c and try to grasp the quality. you can also take the help of your faculties. good luck.
15th December 2010, 06:46 AM
aditya436
Senior Member++++

Thumbs up Re: Grammatical mistakes during conversation : How to avoid them and how to speak English fluently? Do software companies consider such mistakes?

hello sneha

you don't know that you were already good at english

what is the issue with you is you're lacking confidence in you

so you gain confidence by doing these things while you're free

->argue with your friends healthily on any issue only in english

->listen to good english songs watch american movies and watch the news channels of english

->Nobody can become masters in one day in english only practice make you perfect

->if possible talk to everyone in english

->read good english daily's like THE HINDU

->all these may fetch you good communicating skills through english language

all the best

~aditya~
15th December 2010, 06:53 AM
rchauhan294
Senior Member+

Dear friend its like your english is good .minor grammetical errors are not a big problem and you can easily overcome from this. try watching english bulletin and learn the speaking skill as they are the best source of learning . you are in 2nd year now so you still have atleast 2years to improve your speaking skill . your english will improve automatically after taking part in presentation and GD.
15th December 2010, 10:43 AM
Rudraprasad
Senior Member++

You decide first for what reason you want to improve your speaking power.for campus interview or for going to abroad.If it is for campus interview, then present position is more than enough for you,you are from computer science and engg stream then you need to give more effort on programming language.If you are technically sound then language doesn't matter.

If for second reason, you just develop yourself through reading good novel written by V.S. Nailpul,Paolo Coelho,N.C.Chowdhary,Charles Dickens.and also watch 1970s English classic movies.definately you will get help.Watching english news and reading news paper these are common to all sincere students,so i am not mentioning again.

All the best.
15th December 2010, 06:43 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

hi!

Making mistakes while communicating in english is a common problem of many students.

Such mistakes occurs mainly due to lack of confidence & poor grammer.

To avoid such mistakes you should at first go through any good english grammer book & learn the proper use of tenses.

But reading book alone will not help, you should also make the habbit of communicating in english with your friends.
15th December 2010, 08:57 PM
dreksha chaudhary
Senior Member+++

Thumbs up Re: Grammatical mistakes during conversation : How to avoid them and how to speak English fluently? Do software companies consider such mistakes?

your marks does not tell that u r somewhat weak in English .. but in todays world fluency in english is always needed in almost all companies.. to get it good must read newspaper and other articles .hope for ur good future.....
all the best
21st July 2011, 11:40 PM
Unregistered

i want to know what is the processor to hide mistake in entrance exam and learn grammar totally good.
4th May 2012, 01:28 AM
climber
Senior Member+

dear friend,

-->>First of all you have to connect your basic knowledge of grammer in order to speak without grammatical errors.

-->>For that you can read books on grammer,with time you will learn.

-->>Second thing is speaking fluently,for that you have to practice by loud reading books,newspapers and communicating with people in english.

-->>You will see progress with time ,it make take few months but you will surely improve if you can try consistently.

all the best....................
7th June 2012, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

i can speak english fluently ,but the problem is i cant express,so what to do??please help
6th December 2012, 05:35 PM
Unregistered

I do complex the things, and sometime it is beyond my range too. :(
what can i do for communicating in simple n clearer manner ??
8th December 2012, 05:35 PM
Unregistered

hi i'm anu ..i'm a engineering graduate.During my schoolings i was studied in english medium but still i had made grammatical error while speaking to friends like usage of had ,have, have been,had been. anyone give idea to improve my communication
2nd June 2013, 04:14 AM
Unregistered

Hi, my name is Dilip i work for an international b.p.o .i can speak fluently but i lack as i commit silly mistakes while communicating with clints. I really want to speak like Arnab Goswami . Could u suggest me plz how can i become good speaker of English language.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?