11th January 2012, 07:12 PM

Group I study material and complete syllabus with reference books?

Dear Sir Please send me Group- I study Material and Complete syllabus with reference Books

10th May 2012, 07:22 PM
stlawrence

Default Re: Group I study material and complete syllabus with reference books?

The Goal of Study Group Learning
The introduction of study groups is drastic for both professors and students. The professor/TA will likely have to put in a lot of extra time and effort. Students will have to grapple with the new and higher expectation of being responsible to cover co urse material on their own.

It is believed that students learn by doing. As opposed to being spoon-fed knowledge in lecture, study groups encourage students to go above and beyond what is being taught and to develop their own understanding of subject material. The goal of study group learning is to help students take ownership of course material; to learn to learn.

Benefits of Study Group Learning
You can verify with each other any confusing or complex subject material.
Learning math is more fun.
Math is better understood and retained.
Prof/TA will be seen as more approachable.
You will have chance to dialogue with classmates and therefore opportunity to make. friends; hopefully you will feel less isolated
Fellow students can be a source of encouragement.
Math-anxious students will see themselves as tutor/teachers, not just recipients of someone else’s knowledge.
An increase in confidence of mathematical ability.
You will have opportunity to learn new study habits from peers. In a nutshell, learning math is more personally relevant, and intellectually stimulating.
As you can see from this list, being in a study group can be really helpful. BUT these benefits come only to those who are serious about making their group work well together and serious about learning. So, although I expect you to have fun (eh, there is no reason why you can’t have a ‘study’ group meeting at a pub once in a while) the study group component of your course is serious stuff and will count in your evaluation.
10th May 2012, 07:26 PM
edr_fdr

Below is a list of things you should/can do at your meetings. Suggestions in bold I would reccomend you do at every meeting.

establish what you hope to accomplish at your meeting
review lecture notes together, discuss anything you did not understand
discuss key concepts from lecture
work on assignmetns
assign yourselves questions and work on them
study for tests or exams
discuss what questions you expect to be on tests and exams
go over copies of past exams (available at either Club Infinity S597Ross or YFS office)
set aside time to talk about anything under the sun other than math
at the end of each session, determine or verify location and time of you next meeting
10th May 2012, 07:29 PM
edr_fdr

This booklet contains a section called Problems and Solutions. It’s a good idea to read it so you know what can happen and so that you can recognize it when a problem arises. A lot of the problems discussed in this section can be prevented if you work hard not just at the math, but at making your group work. Below is a list of guidelines that, when followed, help to avoid the common pitfalls.

Listen carefully to each other. Try not to interrupt. Respond to, or at least acknowledge, comments made or questions asked by other group members. To do so shows respect.
Do not accept confusion passively. If you do not understand the information that someone is presenting, try toarapharse what was said, or ask someone to help you paraphrase it.
Ask for clarification whenever someone uses a work in a way that you find confusing (you will likely help him or her .) The correct use to terminology is an essential part of successful communication in math. If you can say it, you understand it.
DO not split up the work. I know it’s so tempting...but it leads to SOOO many problems. Every one should focus their attention on the same at the same time. It is much easier to resolve conflicts when group memebers work toeghter and check for agreeme nt frequently.
Make a habit of expliainging your reasoning or of "thinking out loud," an ask others to do the same. The process of construction and refining explanations helps everyone to relate the information being presented to what they already know.
Be aware of time constraints. It is appropriate (an important) to ask each other how what you are will help your group complete an assignment
If your group gets stuck, review and summarize what you’ve done so far. This process creates new opportunities for group members to ask questions, and often it will reveal imporatnt connections that have been overlooked.
You should always feel comfortable to switch from talking about math to talking about how your group is working. If you have a concern about how your group is functioning, bring it up. Be direct, honest and calm.*
When someone raises a concern about your group, listen to it carefully. If you have a problem with his or her problem, be sure to criticize the problem and not the person.*
*I think these ones are THE most important.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?