10th April 2019, 08:27 PM
Twinkle101Shinde

How to become a Marine Biologist? List of colleges in India for Marine Biology?

Can I pursue career in Marine Biology with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as subjects in HSC? If not are there any other courses with PCB in the field to become Oceanology, Ecologist, Environmentalist, etc? Acually I opted PCMB in 11th but my Math is weak so I'm dropping it. Which entrance exam I need to give and which subjects and topics I've to prepare for? Also I would like to know the best Colleges for Marine Biology in India and foreign countries specifically Asian Countries.

31st July 2020, 10:37 PM
deepikapandey9999

Default Re: How to become a Marine Biologist? List of colleges in India for Marine Biology?

Start by taking a Marine Biology degree at university. This will usually take 3-4 years to complete full-time, depending on which country you're studying in. In England this takes 3 years to complete a Bachelor of Science Degree. Essentially you will be a Marine Biologist at this point
Once you have graduated you can continue your education to take a Masters degree or PhD. This will take your studies down a deeper and more focused route. The other option is to finish studying and take up a job in an area of interest, I'll write more about that below
You can use your summers to gain work experience in areas of interest and often there are opportunities to study abroad in parts of Europe, the Caribbean and elsewhere. This could include working at a seal sanctuary in the UK, working at an aquarium in Greece, helping in a laboratory or even diving to research Lionfish in Martinique. Universities usually have affiliated programs that will open these kind of doors for you.
Assuming you have now learned enough to become a qualified Marine Biologist, you will then start looking for work. Marine Biology related jobs are often hard to come by and don't always pay the best but if it's your passion then hopefully it will outweigh the financial side of things.

There are a huge variety of fields to work in once you're a qualified marine biologist. You could be working on research missions in the Arctic or studying sharks off the coast of South Africa as a diver. You also might be working at a local fish sanctuary and struggling to find paid work.

Marine Biology is a very interesting and important field so if you are passionate you should give it a go but don't blindly believe that everyone who studies this will become a diver or work on The Discovery Channel.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?