27th March 2012, 09:10 PM
Unregistered

How can I work in USA after completing BDS?

i have completed my bds hw can i work in usa and do my pg there

17th July 2012, 05:50 PM
sherleytwain
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How can I work in USA after completing BDS?

According to US health department, the country is facing acute shortage of dentists. At the moment there are 55 dentists per 1 lakh people in United States. This number is expected to go down further to 50 dentists per 1 Lakh people. Therefore United States desperately need dentists even if it has to be from other countries like India.

Now to go and practice in United States with BDS degree alone is not possible. You may have heard that US does not recognise BDS degree from India. This is absolutely wrong. The American Dental Association to recognise BDS degree from India but as Dental Degree from regionally accredited university. The same goes from degrees from Europe and other Asian countries.

What you would require is DDS degree from United States. It means that you will have to take up the DDS degree course in United States, pass it any board before you would be allowed to practise in United States.

You will get admission through Advanced Standing Program for Foreign Students that would get you entry in the 2nd year of DDS comparing to 4 years course which locals are required to do.

Here are the full details of DDS Admission Process

1. You should have BDS or MDS degree.

2. You will have to get done the Transcript Evaluation. The cost of evalution is between $85 to $165.

3. Next you will have to appear in National Dental Board Examination (NBDE) Part 1 examination. This exam takes place across United States and Canada. The fee to appear in this exam is $265.

4. At this moment you will travel to United States on Visitors Visa (B1/B2).

5. Only if you passed the NBDE Part 1 exam with 85 percent and more marks you will be eligible for the admission. Candidates are allowed to reappear in exam after 90 days.

6. Another exam you will have to appear in before admission is TOEFL. The cost of TOEFL exam is $170 and it is valid for only two years. It is possible to give this exam in India as there are over 10 examination centers in India for TOEFL exam.

7. Once you passed the NBDE 1 and TOEFL exam you have to send application in various universities for admission.

8. The expenses of DDS course would be somewhere between $90,000 to $100,000. If you can't afford this much money you can take loan from bank. If you have a green card holder friend or relative in United States, you can ask him to co sign for you to get the loan. This loan also covers your living expenses and even your wife and children. This repayment will either begin after 6 to 9 months after you completed the degree or you get a job.

9. According to American Dental Association the annual average income of DDS degree holder is $300,000 in United States. This means you would be able to repay your loan.
17th July 2012, 09:12 PM
samatha89
Member+

This is an excellent question. If you want to practice dentistry in the United States, I believe the U.S. department needs to recognize the program you received your degree from as an acceptable, registered school and program.

Here's a link which talks about becoming licensed in the State of New York. It should give you an idea of what the States in general require. You should try contacting the Dental Board for which you wish to practice on.

I believe you need to pass the NBDE - the National Board Dentistry Examination. Check out the American Dental Association's website for more detail.

There are two parts in this examination. Part 1 is basic science - human anatomy, biochemistry and physiology, microbiology, dental anatomy and occlusion. It consists of 400 multiple choice questions. Part 2 deals with clinical dental topics.

Starting in 2010, this exam will be graded on a pass / fail basis only.

I believe post-graduate studies are similar to that of any other post-graduate studies for international students wishing to study in the U.S.
17th July 2012, 10:42 PM
savan kumar chaitanya

First you should have degree from these Country Univ.
so you can get eassly get job ionthese country
fro outside you have to good acadmic
and through any company experiance you can get job in THIS country.
18th July 2012, 06:08 PM
guri kaur
Senior Member+

hi..!!

-->first you should have degree from these country university.

-->then you can easily get the job in these country.

-->good academic is neccessary.

-->with the help of any company experience you can get job in this country.

thanks....go ahead and all the best...
27th June 2013, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

am a female dentist from south india,i copleted my course past august 2012.Am getting married and moving to USA with my fiance this year end 2013,am planning to do DDS and proceed with working..can u pls suggest me the universities which have 2 years DDS program with no nbde option?
27th March 2014, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

if i passed the nbde exam of usa then it is compulsory to give TOFEL exam or can take admission for dds degree
27th May 2014, 01:30 AM
Unregistered

what is the fee structure od dds after compelting bds frm india
31st May 2014, 04:07 PM
Unregistered

I have finished my 12th standard in India (CBSE). I have opted for B.D.S. and my college starts from 18th of June(2014). However i would like to practice in U.S. after completing my B.D.S. degree. in U.S.? Many people say it is difficult to settle down and earn after the shift from India to U.S. IS it worthwhile to go through all the struggles to practice in U.S.?
31st May 2014, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

I have finished my 12th standard in India (CBSE). I have opted for B.D.S. and my college starts from 18th of June(2014). However i would like to practice in U.S. after completing my B.D.S. degree. in U.S.? Many people say it is difficult to settle down and earn after the shift from India to U.S. IS it worthwhile to go through all the struggles to practice in U.S.?
16th August 2015, 03:01 PM
Unregistered

am a female dentist from central India,i completed my course past august 2014.Am getting married and moving to USA with my fiance(on work permit) this year end 2015,am planning to do DDS and proceed with working..can u please suggest me the universities which have 2 years DDS program with or without NBDE option?
Pls reply as soon as you can.....
16th August 2015, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

am a female dentist from central India,i completed my course past august 2014.Am getting married and moving to USA with my fiance(on work permit) this year end 2015,am planning to do DDS and proceed with working..can u please suggest me the universities which have 2 years DDS program with or without NBDE option?
16th August 2015, 03:09 PM
Unregistered

17th October 2019, 12:08 AM
Unregistered

Is it possible to do MPH after bds .?! What are procedure for this . And tell am about aligiblity .? How much mark required for this . fees structure .
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?