23rd July 2010, 02:23 PM
Unregistered

How many years one should prepare for IAS?

hi i m doing bcom final year i am a hardworking student with 90% marks in 12 i want to no when i can start my proper preparation for ias and what subject should i take for mains

24th July 2010, 12:52 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Default Re: How many years one should prepare for IAS?

Well, since you are hard working person just start your preparetion from now.

Appearing for Civil Service Exams is not ther thing that matters cracking it with flying colours is what is needed to get into TOP options that are IAS, IFS and IPS.

And for Civil service preparetion the best way is to go through a good Coaching Institute, there you will find hand on guidance of whole matter.

Well, being a Commerce student opting for "Commerce" or "Economics" as an optional for Mains is a best option.
24th July 2010, 01:56 PM
nillu
Senior Member+

Thumbs up Re: How many years one should prepare for IAS?

Since you are a hard working guy its going to be very helpful for your IAs exams. you should seriously start your preparation for IAs exams as it is the right time for. First you should decide which subject to choose for your exams according to your choice of subjects because there are nearly 30 subjects in which you can appear for exams So decide it first.
It depends on individual to individual and there capacity that how much time they take it. it all depends on the preparation of individual. if your preparation is good you can clear it in just 1 year or it can take more time.
So dear all it depends on your performance.

Go ahead!
24th July 2010, 02:10 PM
Senior Member+++

hello friend
as you are a very hard working student you can crack the exam with your hard work very easily
so prepare well as you are paased your 12th exam with areally good marks so star your preparations now
it is the right time
and you can join a coaching institute also as they provide you all the support by providing you good study material
well,
about the subjects you can choose the subjects related to your stream as you are from commerce
it would be good to choose economics as your subject in mains
and
you should also take admission in your graduation in commerce field that is the minimum eligibility to appear in ias exam
24th July 2010, 02:44 PM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hello friend,
First of all, try to concentrate on your final year exam. As soon as you complete your B.Com, you will be eligible to appear for civil service exam, conducted by UPSC.
The compulsary subject in the Preliminary exam for IAS is General studies.
and, the compulsary subjects for the Main exam are one Indian language, English, Essay and General studies.

Following are the optional subject from which one can select any subject depending upon the area of expertise.
Agriculture Mathematics, Animal Husbandry & Vetinary Science, Mechanical Engineering Botany, Medical Science, Chemistry, Philosophy, Civil Engineering, Physics, Commerce,Political Science ,Economics ,Psychology Electrical Engineering Public Administration, Geography, Sociology, Geology, Statistics, Indian,History, Zoology,Law.

Now, time taken for preparation depends upon the candidates intelligence and hard work. Try to select optional subject depending upon your area of expertise. Since you are from commerce background, you may opt for commerce, Economics or the subject you are comfortable with.
There are many books available in the book stores you can go through for the preparation of the exam. You must not restrict yourself to a single book written by a particular author. Try to read books written by as many authors as possible. Apart from preparing from reference books, you may also enroll yourself to a good institute or coaching center which prepares candidates for such examinations.
So, time taken for preparation depends upon the level of your preparation and the more you work hard, more will be the chances of cracking the IAS exam.
24th July 2010, 02:57 PM
Thakur Chetan

HELLO FRIEND,
I appreciate your decision to take up civil services examination as it is a challenge which can be completed by hardworking students only.
now about the time preparation,it will be as good for you if you start it immediately because you are in the final year of your graduation.The ideal time for the preparation is 1 full year with a consistent effort.
BEST OF LUCK
24th July 2010, 04:01 PM
N.MD.AZHARUDDIN
Senior Member+

hii friend...if you scored 90% in your 12th congrats... from this i can say you are sure a hard worker...for preparation of ias exam you can start from now itself....Indian Administrative Service EXAM(IAS) ..The UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) of India which conducts the IAS exam there are three steps of the exam one is Preliminary Exam (Prelims),another is Main Exam (Mains), and the third is Interview... you can prepare from now on ..to prepare you can get some books and start preparing so that you can score well....There are many guide books available in the market for General Studies .. if you want to choose any of the subject you can choose from this
Sociology
geology
history
economics
geography
commerce

regards
azhar
24th July 2010, 04:50 PM
s.k.singh

really it is good one that you are hard working,so do not waste too much time start preparation with the full of potential and dedication,you can definatelly success in this exam,
also for the general category the chances is 4 times to sit i the examination.
24th July 2010, 05:55 PM
Gop
Senior Member+

Arrow Re: How many years one should prepare for IAS?

Hi, To prepare for Examinations like IAS, It is the smart work, needed besides the Hard work. There are many who cracked the IAS in first attempt preparing within a short time span. There are also many, who never cleared the IAS attempting 3,4 times. So, No others can say, what is the right time for you to start preparation. It's you who can decide that,. You should know to form a good schedule within the time span you hold. thats it.

Normally, many start preparing for the examination, one year before the mains. You have mentioned that you are in final year. You need to complete the course to take the IAS Exam. So, Its better you concentrate on your course right now. After completing, Do start preparing for the IAS Examination.

Wish you all the Best.
24th July 2010, 06:32 PM
trupti_9227

hello,
as you are a hard working person then go for searching good coaching institute from now it self.as you are a commerce stream student , you can choose commerce or economics as your mains stream subject.
good luck
24th July 2010, 07:40 PM
sharad3010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi i m doing bcom final year i am a hardworking student with 90% marks in 12 i want to no when i can start my proper preparation for ias and what subject should i take for mains
that great that u are commerce student this will help u to choose a subject in mains
of ur field

and to say about years i willm say it all depends on the hardwork u do

if u are not sure then u can join coaching
24th July 2010, 07:57 PM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

it is not possiable to say that how much time is require to crack the IAS exam.

generally time is varied man to man. but if you can do lots of hard work for IAS preparation,then you can crack IAS exam with in a one year.

if you take history,geograpy,and arts related paper. then IAS will be eassy to crack.

best of luck...........
24th July 2010, 08:04 PM
Somesh Goenka
Senior Member+++

Hello,

It is good to know that you want to appear for Civil Service Exam and be an IAS officer.
Well first of all, as rightly said by above wanting to appear is one thing and then getting a good result is another. You really have to work very very hard as i know many people who have been working very hard but yet have not succeeded in their goal. I think it is the right time for you start your preparations. Join an institute offering coaching for the same, as they can give you very good guidance which you cant get on your own. Go through the previous years papers if available to you so that you may get an idea of what kind of questions may come. If possible, if you know that any IAS officer, then stay in touch with him, he may provide you the guidelines of how he prepared for the same.

Well for main, you may select economics, as people with economics have a strong background and knowledge and get selected better.

Good Luck.!
24th July 2010, 08:37 PM
nalanda
Senior Member++

its totally depends upon you,.
if you have well command in any of the subject given in the list of the IAS examination,and if you are hardworking and have very planned manner for preparation then i think one year is sufficient for the preparation.
24th July 2010, 11:57 PM
agentroy
Senior Member+

hi
well you can start the prepration right from now onward you can prearrange for the general knowledge part and you can also prepare for the subjects which you are selecting for the exam
as a b.com student you can chose the commerce or even you can go for the economics
25th July 2010, 11:50 PM
subhasish
Senior Member++

There is not any limitation for the preparation of the IES exam ,as you have mentioned that you are hard working so you can prepare it it in one year,one year more then enough ..

Just go and join any good coaching center and then you will get lots of material for the preparation of the IES exam......

Just concentrate and devote your most of the time in studying,one thing more is that you must solve the previous year papers,it will help you a lot.

All the best.
26th July 2010, 07:45 PM
samratguha

hello friend..
see it totally depends upon you,and how much effort you can give to your studies and how concentrately you can study.i think it would be better to take 1year coaching classes which will guide to prepare as well as your own effort behind it.go to stalls buy the best books available in the market,and study properly..
27th July 2010, 08:07 PM
happy to help

It all depends on your dedication towards the entrance exam

About Preliminary Exam preparation :
- one paper is optional i.e. your choice
- One paper is compulsory i.e. General Studies.

- Now i will tell you how to prepare for General Studies(GS) paper.
- if one wants to have command over GS, then he has to prepare 8 major area i.e.
History
Geography
Polity
Science
Economy
Mental Abiltiy
Current Affairs
General Knowledge.

- For all the above topics, best way to start is from Basics i.e. NCERT Books of Class 6th to Class 12th.
- For History - NCERT + Spectrums Modern India
- Geography - NCERT + GoCheng leong + a good atlas like orient longman/oxford.
- Polity - NCERT + any good guide book like laxmikanth's indian polity/ Jojo mathews's Indian constitution and polity.
- Science - i think Ncert class 6th to class 12th is more than enough.
- Economy - NCERT class 11th and 12th + pratiyogita darpan's special issue on indian economy + Read and make notes of newspaper about current economy.
- Mental Ability - R.s.Agarwal.
- Current Affairs - one has to be thorough with newspaper readings of atleast one year back from the date of exam.
- General Knowledge - India year book + Manorama year book or Chronicle year book.

- if one is thorough with the above topics from the above materials, then he/she will definitely crack this exam easily.
28th July 2010, 03:11 PM
subhash5687
Banned

Quote:
this different for different catogaries.
GN--3YR
OBC--5YR
SC/ST--8YR
OK BEST LUCK
29th July 2010, 12:15 AM
mini rani
Senior Member++

Hi!

There is no fixed duration for preparation of IAS. It depends on the candidate's potential to crack civil services exam. Some candidates clear the exam in one attempt with a few months prepration while others take a no. of attempts with years of prepration. So, it all depends on your knowledge, ability & hard work. Generally 1 year preparation is sufficient.

If you are serious about making your career in civil services then it is the right time to start studying.

For mains choose the subject over which you have good command.
29th July 2010, 02:00 AM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Quote:
you can start preparing for ias exam from now. For that, you have to make basics of class 6th to 12th sharp. You can study from ncert books. They will help you a lot. Also for general knowledge and current affairs,you must read newspaper regularly.
Best of luck
26th August 2010, 02:18 PM
Unregistered

hi i just finished my bcom ia working in some priavate company but my soul is to be a ias officer my age is 21 and iam pretty ordinay 50% student but i awill hardwork to m stength
27th August 2010, 05:44 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
hi i just finished my bcom ia working in some priavate company but my soul is to be a ias officer my age is 21 and iam pretty ordinay 50% student but i awill hardwork to m stength

That's the spirit.........!

Keep it burning dont let this spirit to even deem, it will make your way towards real success which is an important tool for cracking IAS.

Regards
~Faiyaz~
27th August 2010, 05:57 PM
poplu13
Senior Member+

you need a lot of time to prepare for IAS...remeber you just have 3 chances to qualify IAS within 30 years of age...If you need good coaching centres..Then Delhi houses lot of such good coaching centres...

Good luck !!
27th August 2010, 06:29 PM
Adarshxxx
Senior Member+

Dear friend,
IAS exam cannot be calculated in terms of time like how much time you need to prepare.it totallt depends on your interest and your dedication towards the exam.you can choose from the 35 subjects available for the mains.selecting subject for mains depends on your knowledge and interest in that subject.experts also say that atleast you need full 18 months preparations to crack the exam.
All The Best!!!
27th August 2010, 06:44 PM
vyshnavi sai

It is not the question that how many years should prepare for IAS.But anyway u had a wonderful idea keep go on continue ur spirit.
U should be more aware of the newspaper,news,current affairs.From day one u should have to prepare ur own notes it become easy later on.
just dedication is the only aspect required for IAS.
WORK HARD success is urs.
ALL THE BEST.
27th August 2010, 07:13 PM
compaq123
Senior Member+

first of all good luck to you for to do hardworking students after that for one year is better for ias preparationso please do you hard work regularly and to solve mock test paper reguralrly.
good luck
27th August 2010, 07:18 PM
August
Senior Member+

dear friend

as you are in 3rd year of b.com. so you should start your preparation from today.

to crack exam like IAS is very difficult. for that you have to work hard.

i will suggest you to join a good coaching center .

as you are a commerce student you can take commerce, economics as your main paper in IAS.

ALL THE BEST
27th August 2010, 07:21 PM
August
Senior Member+

dear friend

as you are in 3rd year of b.com. so you should start your preparation from today.

to crack exam like IAS is very difficult. for that you have to work hard.

i will suggest you to join a good coaching center .

as you are a commerce student you can take commerce, economics as your main paper in IAS.

ALL THE BEST
27th August 2010, 07:23 PM
subhash5687
Banned

Quote:
yes dear you can apply for ias as many times you want there is age limit not attempt limit for more detail yoo can search on the internet
on the site
www.iasexam.co.in
27th August 2010, 08:45 PM
maddusajj
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
hi,
the percentage in your graduation does not at all matter in your qualification in the ias exam,
you have to really work hard from now on,
you should prepare for at least 4 to 5 years before attempting the exam because the age is on your side,
all the best
27th August 2010, 09:43 PM
Senior Member+++

hello well done friend ...and salute to your spirit that you really wants to do a hard work that is most important
so do your hardwork and perform well in the exam conducted for ias position
and also you can join a coaching centre for complete preparation
27th August 2010, 11:02 PM
Raj333

dear friend
There is no fixed duration for preparation of IAS. this is totally depend on the quality of student .............one should crack upsc in only one chance and some others cannot qualified.........so you will take your time in preparation but give +ve result..............maximum chances provided to different student...........
for general -4 chances
for obc-7 chances

best of luck.......................................
28th August 2010, 12:37 AM
KHAN20

dear friend
i think 1yr is enough for preparation for ias exam.the things u have to maintain for that r
1.u must buy ias exam related books&read it daily 2 hours.
2.if u may take coaching under any institute if is beniffited for ur practice.
3.u may consult with ur class teacher.
etc
this teachnique u just follow.i think this is enough.
best of luck.
28th August 2010, 12:14 PM
ansh_ansh
Senior Member++++

dear friends,

it depends upon you that when you have strated your preparation.

may be you can starts the preparation with the graduation degree.

that will be really beneficial for you.but as far as the number of attempts are

concern for the general category candidates the attempts is only four times.
28th August 2010, 01:43 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

Some may take one year, others may take two years to prepare and write the exam. It depends on the individual. If you work hard you can clear it in the first attempt. You can start preparing form now itself and join some good coaching center. For the mains you can opt for the subject in which you are interested
28th August 2010, 04:11 PM
Unregistered

is that possible the ias exam without coansing if is it poosible? how
28th August 2010, 05:56 PM

which is the best for as an engineering graduate belongs to electronics@communications engineer either ias or ies
which is the best for those
and how many years prepare for ies and ias
28th August 2010, 07:45 PM
answers_for_you

Hello Friend
There are not any age limitation for the preparation of the IES exam ,just start your preparation now.

You thing that you must consider is that you must have passed your graduation.

i mean to say that you must be a graduate then you can apply for the IES preparation.

all the best.
28th August 2010, 09:31 PM
shipra saxena

Quote:
ur score 90% is very gud which means u r a good learner as well as understand things well so u can achieve ur aim in just 1 or 2 yrs
28th August 2010, 10:41 PM
robart
Senior Member+

dear friend,

you can start your preparation for IAS in your final year.means it is the right time to start your preparation for IAS.

you can take any two subjects out of about 22 subjects prescribed by the UPSc.i am not going to tell which subject you should take.it depends upon your choice and interest.

also you can join any reputed coaching institutes for more guidance.

all the best.
29th August 2010, 12:54 AM
rushi adhia

Hi,

You can start your preparation from now onwards and can get the most of out of it.
Being a Commerce student you should opt for "Commerce" or "Economics" as an optional for Mains.

-All the best
29th August 2010, 01:07 AM
cenaetion
Senior Member+

dear friend,

it is upon you , that how much potential you have.. you can do it in one year, or you can do it in some year..
IAS is very tough exam, it is conducted by UPSC..

there are two parts one is Prelims, and the other is Mains..
if you clear the exams they will call you for interview,General discussion, medical test..
after all the test they will send you for Training, after that you could be an IAS officer..

so get prepare for IAS exam..

all the best..
29th August 2010, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Where will come to upsc's prilims exam form?
13th September 2010, 04:08 PM
Unregistered

please submit the necessary books of wbcs main and preliminary of geography and history?????????
18th October 2010, 01:23 AM
Unregistered

Hi,
i am studying geophysics from iit kharagpur...i am in my 2nd year ...i want to prepare for IAS ..i want to know how much will my background help me in taking up geology as my optional subject in mains as i plan to take geology and public administration as my optional subjects in mains..or should i take up other subjects like sociology,political science,etc.
also since i want to start early i would like to know about good coaching centres in delhi which offer courses in summer for preparation of ias...?
23rd October 2010, 07:12 PM
rahul_kumar066

It depends on entrant that how much a candidates can take to crack the ias but mostly it takes about 1 to 2 years
29th October 2010, 07:52 PM
Unregistered

Hi!! I'm in class xi (arts)with 87% in Icse..i want to crack IAS..i want start my bit of preparation from now..how should i go about?? Please name some good coaching centers for IAS training in Delhi?
30th October 2010, 07:56 PM
koli

you should start your preparation from now.

some best coaching centers in delhi are given below:

Ujjwal IAS Academy

IMS (Institute of Mathematical Sciences)

O.P.SINGH'S IAS Academy

CLASSIC IAS ACADEMY

Khan Study Group

these are all top rated IAS coaching centres.

look at the address and other details here:

http://www.civilserviceindia.com/ias-coaching/centers-in-delhi.html
31st October 2010, 06:23 AM
helpmaster

Quote:
Hi!! I'm in class xi (arts)with 87% in Icse..i want to crack IAS..i want start my bit of preparation from now..how should i go about?? Please name some good coaching centers for IAS training in Delhi?
for IAS exam preparation you need to be graduate and at this time you shoild just concentrate fully on your studiesnad nothing else as command on your own subjects will help you to crack the exam.
just try to keep update with general awareness and study pratiyogita darpan
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?