24th July 2019, 10:11 AM
C212v7411

Requirements and procedure to become a Train Engine Driver?

Sir, I have passed 10th Board exams. Can I become a Train Engine Driver on the basis of 10th only? Is there any specific courses available for this? What are the different requirements to apply for Train Engine Driver?

21st August 2019, 11:06 AM
sagarika 199193
Senior Member+++

Default Re: Requirements and procedure to become a Train Engine Driver?

You are required to complete ITI course in specified trade after class 10th to be eligible for the RRB examination for the post of railway engine driver. Examination is conducted by respective RRB (Railway Recruitment Board).

Railway Loco Pilot Eligibility
- You must have passed at least matriculation plus ITI course in specified trade. OR you must have passed (10+2) in science stream with diploma or degree engineering in the discipline of Electrical/ Mechanical/Electronics/Automobile from a recognized university.
- Your age must be between 18 to 30 years. Age relaxation applicable as per norms.

Entrance Exam Syllabus
- Arithmetic
- Reasoning
- General Awareness
- General Science
- General Intelligence
- Technical Ability

After selection, you will have to undergo training period. After completion of training, you will be appointed as an "Assistant Loco Pilot" of goods train. During this tenure, you are supposed to work with experienced loco pilot and you have to perform only assistant work during running locomotive. After that, you are promoted as "Loco Pilot Shunter". After proper courses and training, you are supposed to drive locomotives in sheds/yards at speed not more than 15 km/h. After getting two years experience, you are promoted as "Loco Pilot" of goods train. After that, you are promoted as "Loco Pilot" of passenger train and then express train and then super fast train.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?