29th September 2018, 01:48 AM
Unregistered

Scope in Biological research sector for BTech(Biomedical Engineering) student?

Hello Sir/Madam, I am studying BTech with Biomedical Engineering. This is my first semester and I have heard that there are wide scope in Biological research sector for me after my BTech course with this stream. Is it true?

4th October 2018, 04:41 PM
Subjectexpert

Default Re: Scope in Biological research sector for BTech(Biomedical Engineering) student?

Yes, it is true. Biomedical engineering has a wide scope in the area of research.

In fact, in near future biomedical engineering has crucial role in development of human society. Biomedical engineering is combination of biology, electronics, computer science and mechanical engineering. Yet it is a specialized branch as you study these subjects in terms of their application in biology, health and disease.

Biomedical engineers work with hospitals, Government bodies and private industries. They develop instruments to diagnose disease, create prosthetic devices for handicap people, discover cure for various diseases.

To go ahead in your research career, you need to study deeply and excel in academics.
Secondly, start consulting your seniors and professor. This will give you a brief idea of the research topics you are interested in. You may pursue your Final year project, internships around these areas. Doing this will help you in future.

To go up in Research field you will have multiple options after Completing B.Tech. GATE and CSIR-NET are the two most important Exams in India to pursue research.

a) Secure a good rank in GATE exam and Join reputed institutes like IIT Delhi, IIT Mumbai to pursue Masters in Biomedical Engineering. IITs offer a MS research(3year), or M. Tech program (2year). Go for a Ph.D. after this.

b) Apply in foreign universities for Master’s program. You may need to qualify GRE, IELTs etc depending upon the requirement of universities.

3) Qualify CSIR-JRF and Join as Junior Research fellow In Government Lab like CSIR, DRDO etc. you can also go for a direct Ph.D. here.

To be honest In India the research faculties are available only in the premier institutes. Jobs are scarce in Private industries as most jobs are entry level marketing and sales job.
The answer to this is to excel in your subject. You will need to come on top In Exams organized by government. This will earn you scholarships and grants to pursue research.
Finally, you can work as a researcher in Government institutes, join as a professor and continue research. Join private industry as a research scientist.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?