24th January 2017, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

Which course to choose between M.Phil and Ph.D? What is the procedure followed for admission?

I am alka sengar,Which course to choose between M.Phil and Ph.D? What is the procedure followed for admission? I have completed M.Sc in Statistics with 74%. So, am I eligible to apply for the course? Can you please give me the details on the same? Thanks!

26th January 2017, 01:39 PM
MerajAmir
Senior Member+

Default Re: Which course to choose between M.Phil and Ph.D? What is the procedure followed for admission?

Both courses are good and have a good career opportunity, but In comparison Ph.D. have bigger bar and value than M.Phil. By pursuing Ph.D. you will become a Doctorate and by pursuing M.Phil you will become Master in Philosophy from the name we can find the difference that Doctorate will have more value than the Master. Time duration to complete Ph.D., is 4-5 years, whereas time duration to complete M.Phil. is 2-3 years.
Eligibility for M.Phil:
Candidate must have completed their Master's degree in their respective subject with a minimum mark of 55% from a recognized University.
Eligibility for Ph.D.:
To pursue PhD, a candidate needs a minimum of 55% marks in Master's degree for general candidate and for a candidate who is other than general like OBC/SC/ST minimum marks required is 50% in Master's degree.
26th January 2017, 04:50 PM
Jits56
Senior Member++++

Default Re: Which course to choose between M.Phil and Ph.D? What is the procedure followed for admission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am alka sengar,Which course to choose between M.Phil and Ph.D? What is the procedure followed for admission? I have completed M.Sc in Statistics with 74%. So, am I eligible to apply for the course? Can you please give me the details on the same? Thanks!
The Ph.D. is best to choose between M.Phil and Ph.D. The Ph.D. degree has an edge over an M.Phil course. The value for the Ph.D. is high compared to the M.Phil. The M.Phil course is a duration (2 years) is less compared to the PhD program. Candidates with Post Graduate Degree in the relevant subject with at least 55% marks are eligible for the admission to a PhD program. The selection to the Ph.D. will be done through an entrance examination and interview. Candidates who have qualified NET / SET / GATE shall be exempted from the entrance examination. The Ph.D. program is available in regular and part time mode in various universities in India.
26th January 2017, 06:59 PM
Ishaquekhan
Senior Member+++++

Since you have completed your M.Sc course in Statistics with 74% of marks in it, according to my opinion, you must opt for the Ph.D course in it.
To do Ph.D course, you must have to gain a Masters degree in the relevant field from a recognised University. After that you must have to qualify in the UGC NET examination.
The eligibility criteria required to appear in the UGC NET examination is that a candidate must have completed Master's Degree course from a recognised University with 55% of marks.
After qualifying in the NET examination, you can take admission to study Ph.D in the relevant field in different Colleges.
26th January 2017, 10:10 PM
pearlrana
Senior Member+++++

M.phil is a good option only when you are not getting admission in PhD program from a good University.

Those who have M.phil degree are eligible for admission in PhD course without any entrance exam.

Admission procedure:-

For admission in PhD programme you need to apply for entrance exam and interview conducted by them . If you have qualified NET/ SET then you will be exempted from entrance exam.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?