7th July 2023, 05:29 AM
Unregistered

What is the total procedure for merchant navy

Hii ,
I have passed 10th with 81% marks and wants to join merchant navy. But there is a problem i wear glasses of power -5 .i am scared about that can i pass medical or not .please explain me about medical eligibility for merchant navy.

17th July 2023, 06:50 PM
4700BC

Default Re: What is the total procedure for merchant navy

• Complete your education: The minimum educational qualification required for merchant navy is a 10+2 pass with physics, chemistry, and mathematics as compulsory subjects. You can also do a diploma in marine engineering or nautical science.
  • Appear for the entrance examination: There are a number of entrance examinations that you can appear for to join merchant navy. Some of the popular examinations include the Indian Merchant Navy (INM) Exam, the Shriram Shipping Academy (SSA) Exam, and the Bharti Group Exam.

• Clear the medical examination: After clearing the entrance examination, you will need to undergo a medical examination to ensure that you are fit for merchant navy. The medical examination includes a physical examination, a dental examination, and a hearing test.

• Get selected for the training: After clearing the medical examination, you will be selected for the training. The training is usually 2 years long and is conducted by a number of institutes, such as the National Institute of Shipping (NIS) and the Indian Maritime University (IMU).
  • Start your career: After completing the training, you will be ready to start your career in merchant navy. You can work as a deck cadet, an engineer cadet, or a radio officer.
The medical eligibility for merchant navy depends on the specific position you are applying for. However, there are some general requirements that all candidates must meet. These include:
  • Minimum height: 157 cm for males and 152 cm for females.
  • Minimum weight: 50 kg for males and 45 kg for females.
  • Vision: You must be able to read and write without glasses.
  • Hearing: You must have normal hearing.
  • Health: You must be free from any major health problems.
If you wear glasses of power -5, you may still be eligible for merchant navy. However, you will need to get a medical clearance from a doctor who specializes in merchant navy medicine. The doctor will assess your overall health and determine whether you are fit to work in the merchant navy.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?