9th June 2014, 02:24 PM
Unregistered

How can I get science stream in 9th standard of ICSE Board if the School offered me Commerce?

Sir,

Our son studying in 8th std ICSE in a reputed school got promoted to 9th. But the school is denying him science, They have offfered commerce now itself. It means his chances of taking engineering/medicine is blocked at this level.

What should I do to get him science. The school authority is denying him science and forcing us to take him to another school if we need science.

Please help. Which higher authority(at Board level) to be approached for re-instating him to science.

12th March 2015, 09:47 PM
anamikasenrocks

Default Re: How can I get science stream in 9th standard of ICSE Board if the School offered me Commerce?

You cannot go against the school norms. One thing I needed to know is the percentage with which your son passed in 8th standard. But nevertheless, in class 9, I haven't heard schools including commerce in the curriculum. I don't think that is logical either. Commerce is a specialization subject. Up till class 10 a school is allowed to inculcate only general subjects like History, Computer Science, Algebra, Arithmetic etc. Commerce is not a general subject.
If the school includes it in class 9 also, it must have science subjects along with it. If not then the school cannot register its students for the final 10th standard board examinations. In the board examinations there is no special commerce or science stream, everyone come under the general course and give the same examination and sit for the same subjects. So if the school has commerce for both class 9 and 10 then it will not be able to provide students for the final examination.
So it is better you take your child to some other school. It is not late. Many schools take kids in class 9. Admit your child in a new school and register him there for the normal general class 9 and 10 curriculum. Or else your son might not be able to sit for the 10th standard boards. so take immediate action.
16th April 2015, 12:12 AM
Unregistered

Default Re: How can I get science stream in 9th standard of ICSE Board if the School offered me Commerce?

Can we take commerce stream in 9th standard icse without maths and science
1st April 2017, 12:35 PM
Unregistered

Hi, I had passed a class 8 with less marks my teachers had given me a commerce but I want science if had a good marks in 9 so will my teachers change my stream??
5th May 2017, 12:01 PM
Unregistered

My daughter is studying in Class VIII in St. Joseph's Convent , Chandannagar, West Bengal . I am wanting her to go for science stream from Class IX. What percentage of marks should she require to get science stream?
10th April 2018, 04:04 PM
Unregistered

Can I do science and commerce in class 9th in Icse board as I m very week in maths nod our school gives us option to opt b.maths science commerce ND economic
3rd May 2018, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

All boards are allowing students to appear class ten with all subjects then why is there this science and commerce matter in case of ICSE?Moreover many students become serious after nine STD so this rule would prevent them from availing science if they don't score good in STD eight.Isit justified
28th November 2019, 06:46 PM
Unregistered

I am from class 9 and I had the option of leaving maths and science and I left maths and science and now I regret leaving it and wish to take the subjects again but the forms have already reached the ICSE board. How do I take the subjects back because now I regret a lot and I really want to take maths and science.If not can I sit externally in 10th for the ICSE examination for Maths and Science and leave school?
26th February 2021, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

I am in class 8 i want science in other school on 9th class ican get it or not
12th August 2022, 12:16 AM
Unregistered

for getting science in 9th class what % required for 8 class results
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?