23rd September 2015, 04:46 PM
Unregistered

How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my Father-In-Law for my wife's education?

Hello Friends,
My Father-in-Law had taken Educational Loan from Union Bank of India for Higher education of my wife. Now I am repaying the amount to the Bank. The loan basically in on My father-in-law and wife's name combined. Now, how can I claim tax rebate for the interest that I've been paying?

Related Questions:
  1. How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my Father-In-Law for my wife's education? -- [New]
  2. How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my Father-In-Law for my wife's education?
  3. How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my father for my brother’s education?
  4. How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my father for my brother’s education?
  5. Is there any way of Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 305000?
  6. Can I get Tax Rebate against Education Loan if paying interest of Rs. 12947 per month?
  7. Need information about Tax Rebate provided against Education Loan?
  8. Maximum amount to be claimed for Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 400000?
  9. Is it possible to present my Brother-In-Law as a Guarantor to apply for Education Loan due to my father's death?
  10. Can I get Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 6.2 Lacs if working in CCL?
  11. Detailed information about Tax Rebate against Education Loan of Rs. 2.2 Lacs from United Bank of India?
  12. Is it possible to show Brother-in-Law's IT file as a guarantor instead of father to apply for Bank Education Loan?
  13. Can I get Education Loan to study B.Tech if my father has no property?
  14. Can I get Tax Deduction if taking Education Loan of Rs. 3,50,000 Lacs?
  15. Can I apply for Bank Education Loan of Rs. 12 Lacs to study in Newzealand if my father doesn't have Income Tax file? -- [Most Discussed]
  16. How can I apply to get Education Loan easily to study MBBS if my father is a serviceman in ECIL?
  17. Can I apply for an Education Loan to study MBBS if my father is working in Abu Dhabi?
  18. Can I get Education Loan of Rs. 6 Lacs to study MBA if my father is retired?
5th October 2015, 09:15 PM
SudeepKumarSaha
Senior Member+++++

Default Re: How can I claim Tax Rebate on Education Loan taken by my Father-In-Law for my wife's education?

You cannot claim tax benefit directly on the education loan of your wife. This is because the loan is in the name of your father-in-law and your wife. But you can claim income tax rebate once you get the requisite documents from the Union Bank of India. You need to get the proof of your repayment of loan on the behalf of your wife and father-in-law from Union Bank of India to showcase it to the Income tax department. Once this is done, you can claim income tax rebate.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?