23rd July 2010, 11:01 PM
shamanthkumar.gella

Is MBA before IAS helpful?

hello
i am studying B.Tech 3rd in amrita school of engineering, bangalore. finally i want to crack civils.will pursuing MBA help me in my career? what i think is that MBA gives management skills which will be useful,this is what i think. can u please suggest how to proceed in this regard like with MBA or with out MBA.

23rd July 2010, 11:37 PM
Rupaksinha

Default Re: Is MBA before IAS helpful?

Hello friend,

One thing i don't that why an engineering student go for civil services????
There are no link between civils and technical, a technical mind can't sevives in civil field. An engineer want to do practicle things always.

But regarding ur question, i would suggest you, first go for MBA then prepare for IAS. Studing managment study will helps you to to crack your civils easily.

but anymore choice is yours....either you go for technical field or managment field or administrative field, it totally depends on you...anyway ALL THE BEST FOR YOUR CAREER..........
23rd July 2010, 11:37 PM
rockyshruthi

hello friend
happy to answer ur query
for u to prepare for civils u dont require mba/other managerial courses
ur perception wil change entirely wen u become stubborn to achieve the most respected
service in the country
the conviction u have on ur endeavor for civils wil give all the qualities required,
so u should either go for civils or mba, but not both, coz u wont be a master of both if u do that,
this is the most refined service, so as a person u have to change be keen of wat u want
so all the very best
its my pleasure to speak to a aspirant for which im a fan of...
23rd July 2010, 11:41 PM
sharmila jain

ya definately MBA will be helpful .. you will get vast knowledge of the production markets ..and it will help in finance also..
24th July 2010, 12:14 AM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Well, basically MBA will not be much helpful in this regard.

Since your final goal is Civil service, then opting for MBA to make your way easy to reach there is not a good option.

However, if you really wants to persue the course which will be much helpful for getting through civil services then opting for master degree in subject like- Political science, History, English etc. is a smart option.

It will help you alot in getting through Civil service entrance.

However, going for MBA through CAT, XAT will be little bit good option because the GD & PI faced there will help you during 3rd step slelection of Civil Service, if you able to clear first 2 ones.

More or less which degree you are earning will not much effect, because Civil service syllabus and the whole entrance is a different thing, even a MA history candidate can not be sure that he/she will score best in history paper of priliminary or main.

Civil Service requres Entirely different Concept and level of preparetion.
24th July 2010, 01:00 AM
solution
Senior Member++++

hello dear

there have no study which goes vain in career.

after all if you have degree of mba,then if you can get chance in IAS.then you can easily handle the administrative services like-finance,disuster management and lots more administrative services.

perhaps your preparation for CAT will help you a lot to get chance in IAS very much.

all the best.......
24th July 2010, 02:33 AM
SANDEEP891985
Senior Member+++++

Hello friend,
I am sure you know that to become IAS officer, you ned to write Civil Service Exam and the minimum educational qualification required is a bachelor's degree from a recognised institute.
Now, as far as eligibility is concerned, there's no need of a masters degree. You have also mentioned that your ultimate gaol is to join IAS and since you want this, going for a masters degree in business administration will be useless. MBA is definitely one of the best course but only if you want to be a part of the corporate world and IAS is not that. Knowledge of administration is important for an IAS officer too but that is not business administration. As an IAS officer, you must be aware of the socio-political environment of our country and its administration. The nature of both, business administration and India's socio-political administration, is different.
So, You better drop the idea of pursuing MBA and start preparing for IAS.
24th July 2010, 05:04 AM
vike
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanthkumar.gella View Post
hello
i am studying B.Tech 3rd in amrita school of engineering, bangalore. finally i want to crack civils.will pursuing MBA help me in my career? what i think is that MBA gives management skills which will be useful,this is what i think. can u please suggest how to proceed in this regard like with MBA or with out MBA.
Dear friend
If your ultimate goal is civil services then there is no need to spoil your time elsewhere. The minimum educational qualification for Civil services is a graduation in any stream.
Civil services required nothing but dedication and hard work.
It would be good if you start your preparation from today itself.
You might feel difficulty in preparing for optional subjects. So for now you should start building up your knowledge in General studies and be good in communication skills.
You can refer The Hindu daily and relevant magazines. That would help very much.
Thank You
24th July 2010, 09:22 AM
sathsish

Smile Re: Is MBA before IAS helpful?

hello friend,
well MBA is a good master degree it's valuable when you did your bachelor degree..
but, if your going to do IAS means then there is no use of doing MBA before that. even though you can gain some knowledge if you are interested to do
just do what your heart desires for..???

all the very best dude..!!!
good luck..!!cheers
24th July 2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Member+++

hello
this is rightly said that you can gain as much as knowledge as you can and that will be helpful to you always ,nthing that you have studied goes waste and as you did a mba ofcourse that will help you in future and if you join as a ias officer that is also a administerative job here also your mangement skills will help you out ..
24th July 2010, 12:42 PM
karthu
Senior Member+

hai
IAS(The teel frame of india), is a battle akin to one fought at the frontiers.You dont need MBA there, but if you insist, go for the same before IAS.
24th July 2010, 02:42 PM
nillu
Senior Member+

Arrow Re: Is MBA before IAS helpful?

In no way MBA is going to be helpful in your CSE . If you are really serious for CSE than you should start preparing for you UPSC exams as for it only graduation is required.
Doing MBA is helpful in providing you job and if you are so much keen you can do it in later parts of life through correspondence. Decide your field of interest and take right decision

Go ahead!!!!
24th July 2010, 03:05 PM
imira
Senior Member+++++

You can pursue MBA before IAS.But MBA cannot prove to be much useful because IAS deals with subjects like Political science,Economics,History and English. Civil service exams are totally different from any MBA entrance exam or MBA syllabus.Degrees in Economics , English or History can help you little bit when you prepare for IAS.
24th July 2010, 03:06 PM
Thakur Chetan

Hello friend,
if you want to do MBA then it is a good option but you should once give the examination as you will get an idea of the pattern and the situations to tackle with.
BEST OF LUCK
24th July 2010, 05:18 PM
s.k.singh

going for MBA through CAT, XAT will be little bit good option because the GD & PI faced there will help you during 3rd step slelection of Civil Service, if you able to clear first 2 ones.if you want to be a part of the corporate world and IAS is not that. Knowledge of administration is important for an IAS officer too but that is not business administration. As an IAS officer More or less which degree you are earning will not much effect, because Civil service syllabus and the whole entrance is a different thing, even a MA history candidate can not be sure that he/she will score best in history paper of priliminary or main.
24th July 2010, 11:25 PM
Somesh Goenka
Senior Member+++

Hello,

you will complete engineering in 4 yrs + you decide to MBA that is another 2 years and then give IAS.
whats the point of spending half of your life studying, dont you think after engineering it is good enough to work? You can atmost go for MBA but then again spending a year or so for IAS is ridiculous!!!!
Anyway, doing MBA will be of no help for IAS at all.. kindly note that!!!!
25th July 2010, 12:38 AM
agentroy
Senior Member+

hi
as you are looking to give the ias exam then it is worthless to do the mba program as it is a waste of the time .it will be more benefit for you if you do the preparation of the ias exam as it is the one of the toughest exam
25th July 2010, 01:10 AM
samratguha

hi friend...
MBA is a good option.nthing that you have studied goes waste and as you did a mba ofcourse that will help you in future and if you join as a ias officer that is also a administerative job here also your mangement skills will help you out ..
25th July 2010, 10:19 AM
prashantmeghalia
Senior Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanthkumar.gella View Post
hello
there is no requirement of mba for civil exam. Rather you can prepare for exam at home. But it is also true that the skills required for civil exam will be provided in mba. So increase your knowledge and to do good in civil exam you can do mba.
25th July 2010, 03:27 PM
subhasish
Senior Member++

Hi Friend
MBA would not be a better option ,if you want to go for the civil services.

If you have determined for the IAS exam then it would be better for you to start preparation for the IAS exam rather then thinking for the MBA.

MBA would not be helpful for you.All the best.
11th August 2010, 11:50 PM
Unregistered

why most of the mba's are not interested in IAS????
13th August 2010, 04:42 PM
sparkle
Senior Member+++

Dear friend,

For giving the IAS exam, MBA degree won't give any extra help for you ..

As these two are different fields you are talking about..

If you want to do civil services then you can go for that by appearing in the UPSC conducted IAS exam right after B.Tech.

And if you have interest to do management courses after B.Tech you can go for cracking the exams like CAT/MAT/XAT etc...

Now it is up to you to decide which way you have to go..

Best of luck!
14th August 2010, 09:42 AM
ravi k
Senior Member+

dear friend

as u are well determined to do MBA so i will suggest u to go for MBA.

all d best.
15th August 2010, 02:06 AM
kool
Senior Member++

Dear friend,
if IAS is your ultimate target then you need not to do MBA before it, it may be harmful for your preparation for IAS.
For IAS only graduation degree is required, & you know that this is the toughest exam in India, so there are very tough competition . So you have to be well prepared for it.

If you waste your 2 precious year, it may cause the resist from your aim of IAS.

So, i suggest you to prepare well for IAS rather than doing MBA.

good luck.
15th August 2010, 12:23 PM
faiyaz
Senior Member++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
why most of the mba's are not interested in IAS????

First of all, people who persue MBA never do so for making a career in Civil Service sectors, they do so for Corporate sector. If any MBAian decides to opt for civil service its after completing there course and having few experiance or change of mode which is not good. No person with real Intension of cracking IAS opt for MBA, because they know they have to face many difficulties. IAS is entirely different thing, its a different from what we study or experiance whole life we study theorecretically while the IAS is all about applying Once Practical knowledge of the subject matter.

Each and every IAS officer has to go through such selection processes that India is really getting world class leaders, because whole country is run by them, PM, CM, Governors etc. all are just the visible parts of a Developing Building, while the Civil service officers are BASE of that Building.

If we take this matter from the professional point of view, the syllabus of Civil Service is such that Science and Arts studsents find comparetively manageable then students from commercial background.

Every year at least 2 IIM Alumni remains in cracker list of Civil Service, so the real leadership quality, and mind power, and analytical ability is also necessary which all MBAian Lacks.

Besides these types of various factors, Handsome PAy package and overseas oppurtunities are the factors which distracts good MBAians from this sector.

Means this types of discussions have never had an end, sometimes the former will take lead while the later.

Regards
~Faiyaz~
15th August 2010, 12:47 PM
rohitkumarramesh
Senior Member++++

Hi

I don't think that MBA will have an any link to the IAS examination which will be helpful for you in IAS preperation.

But if you wish to do MBA then its your choise but there is not any link between the MBA and civil services. Both fields have different directions.

If you want to do some best in your examination it would be better if you join some good coaching institute where you learn to crack IAS.

GOOD LUCK
15th August 2010, 01:08 PM
happy to help

In my view it is not much helpful
Go 4 preparation of IAS only

All the best
15th August 2010, 02:18 PM
Sushant Roy
Senior Member++++

hey friend , I think that there is some conflictness in your thinking towards MBA and civil services. I am damm sure that you would crack civil services if you are willing to do mba. You can opt it part-time. If you are serious in persuing MBA then please do preparation of ias after it.

At last mba is not helpful for civil services.
15th August 2010, 02:59 PM
ravi k
Senior Member+

dear frnd,

MBA is not necessary before IAS.

AS MBA IS NOT A SUBJECT in upsc exam.you can choose public administration bcz it is much related with MBA .

all d best.
15th August 2010, 05:45 PM
mini rani
Senior Member++

HI!

Every thing that you learn in your life has some benefits. Pursuing MBA will also benefit you in many ways.

If you are planning to pursue MBA in the hope that it will help you to get easy selection into IAS then it is wrong.

But if you are interested to study MBA then you can go for it. It will help you to take management subject as optional in mains exam.

Prelims does not offer management as optional subject. In that case you can take commerce as optional in which nearly 40% of the syllabus is from management field.
15th August 2010, 07:28 PM
parhitoshika
Senior Member+

f there is any vacancy in ias through mba, an notification will come in employment news
so keep an track of the every weeks employment news
all the best
15th August 2010, 09:12 PM
rohit_k

yes you are elligible for mba.
elligibilty:
70% marks in b.tech of every semister.
good luck
15th August 2010, 10:33 PM
Rickers

Hello,

Yes it might be helpful, If you will complete your mba then you got the management fundas.
In the preparation of IAS these fundas are more helpful.
You shoud go for it.
Good luck!!!!!
15th August 2010, 11:56 PM
August
Senior Member+

dear friend

MBA HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IAS.

both are different.

for IAS u have to be graduate. that is enough.

all the best.
16th August 2010, 04:18 AM
cenaetion
Senior Member+

dear friend,

there is no need of doing MBA before IAS, It is totaly wrong that MBA will help u in IAS.

there is only one criteria that is u have to complete ur graduation.

all the best.........
24th October 2010, 12:04 AM
Unregistered

With regards to above posts i just wanted to say tht if in case our friend cud not crack ias exam then wht wud he do? he has a b.tech degree..so after preparing 4 ias if nothing comes out of it he shud have some back up plan.right??
24th October 2010, 05:38 AM
rchauhan294
Senior Member+

there is no need to do mba for ias. it is just useless. so apply directly and crack the exam. good luck
24th October 2010, 11:57 AM
poplu13
Senior Member+

an MBA degree has nothing to do with IAS....but yes !
since in MBA you will learn managerial skills.. and techniques...so to some extent...MBA will e help you...
24th October 2010, 12:43 PM
koli

since you have mentioned that your ultimate goal is IAS, so there is no need of doing MBA.
just prepare for IAS purely and you can definitely crack it..
dont worry..
all the best.
24th October 2010, 06:51 PM
ravik1214
Senior Member++++

Question Re: Is MBA before IAS helpful?

there is no chance of getting any help in ias after doing mba. it is just useless.
24th October 2010, 09:47 PM
dreksha chaudhary
Senior Member+++

hello friend

happy to answer ur query
for u to prepare for civils u dont require mba/other managerial courses
ur perception wil change entirely wen u become stubborn to achieve the most respected
service in the country
the conviction u have on ur endeavor for civils wil give all the qualities required,
so u should either go for civils or mba, but not both, coz u wont be a master of both if u do that,
this is the most refined service, so as a person u have to change be keen of wat u want
so all the very best
its my pleasure to speak to a aspirant for which im a fan of...
25th October 2010, 11:13 AM
kvrob139
Senior Member++

Hi,
It is good to have MBA as well, but IAS is a different thing. They have their own ways of making you administratively strong.
25th October 2010, 12:32 PM
yogananda143

there is no need to do mba before gng for IAS as in that mean time of dng mba prerpare for civils which will save ur valuable time
31st January 2011, 04:46 PM
mychandru024

MBA and IAS are totally different... MBA will not help you to crack IAS but is certainly a good course.
6th February 2011, 03:38 PM
Unregistered

As some one pointed out , in case he/she is not successful in cracking the Civils exam , what do they fall back on .. B.Tech?? its a tricky one..
2nd March 2011, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

Hi,

I am Pradeep,
I have discontinued my intermediate., due to financial problems.
After that I done by Bachelor of Arts (BA) as distance education from Dr.B.R. Ambedkar University with specialization of Public Administration, Political Science and Sociology.
I have completed my MBA in Human Resource Management and Marketing from Andhra University with Distinction, (MBA by Regular basis).

Here my question is to;
Is that possible for me to go to Civils? am I eligible for Civils, IAS?

Please let me know through reply to my mail: [email protected]
I want became IAS, is it possible for me?
2nd March 2011, 06:50 PM
Unregistered

Opting for a civil service is a good choice after graduation. But that should be a dedicated one. Choosing between mba and ias is difficult. But management degree is not going to help you to crack ias. If you are very much interested in doing management studies, you can opt for that in the future. Powerful jobs are different from management job. So choice is yours. Anyhow all the best for your preparation.
22nd March 2011, 02:44 PM
Unregistered

what should i do after 12 before preparing for IAS
22nd May 2011, 02:26 PM
Unregistered

my daughter completed 2nd puc in bangalore with commerce (economics, business studies, accountancy and computer science) combination. whether MBS integrated PG is suitable or a 5yrs LLB or a B.COM for her to be eligible for IAS
29th June 2011, 11:49 PM
Unregistered

hi
i m shalini doing b.com(h) right now..... from shri ram college of commerce.
i m very much confused whether to go for mba or ias.. and what if i do mba before ias??????
plz reply as soon as possible
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?