12th October 2016, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

Will I get a chance to do my Ph.D with lower CGPA?

I have got 6.5cgpa out of 10 in my mtech structural engineering.Though I got 72% in my B.E. and 67.25% and 60% in 10th and 12th board exam resectively.So my question is that with that lower cgpa in M.Tech can I get a chance to do my phd?

Nabanita

12th October 2016, 05:12 PM
rachna sarswat
Senior Member+

Default Re: Will I get a chance to do my Ph.D with lower CGPA?

As per my knowledge the minimum qualification for PhD course is 55% marks in post graduation. So you are eligible for getting admission in PhD course as you have secured more then 55% marks. Thanks
12th October 2016, 06:46 PM
jagrity7
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are quite eligible to do Ph.D with 6.5 CGPA in M.tech.

For doing PhD in Engineering discipline, one must possess degree in M.Tech/M.E. or equivalent in the appropriate branch from a recognized University/ Institution with minimum of 60% marks in aggregate or equivalent CGPA and B.E./B.Tech / Graduation Degree (with Science and Maths) with minimum of 60% marks in aggregate or equivalent CGPA.
12th October 2016, 07:50 PM
AWNISH RANJAN CHAUDHARY
Senior Member+++++

The percentage of marks or CGPA required for Doctor of Philosophy course is as below:

1. For M.Tech/M.E/MD course: 60% or 6.75 CGPA on 10 pointer scale.

2. For B.Tech/B.E candidates: 70% or 7.5 CGPA on 10 pointer scale. Second criteria is that candidate must have qualified in GATE or CSIR or UGC NET or Inspire fellowship etc.

You are eligible for PhD course on basis of your marks in Bachelor of engineering but you must qualify GATE to get admission in this course. For M.Tech candidates, it is not necessary but you have less than required CGPA in M.Tech.
12th October 2016, 08:34 PM
ajayrocks007
Senior Member+++++

If your 6.5 CGPA is equivalent to 55% marks, then surely you will be able to apply for Ph.D admission without any doubt. Just make sure that you have this much marks before applying.

Even on the basis of B.E degree you can apply for Ph.D admission through entrance exams or exams like NET/GATE/SET.
12th October 2016, 09:02 PM
Ishaquekhan
Senior Member+++++

Yes, definitely you are eligible to do Ph.D after completing your Masters degree course with a CGPA of 6.5 as you have satisfied the minimum eligibility criteria.
Candidates those who have completed their Masters degree in a specific field from a recognised University with a minimum of 55% of marks in it are eligible to opt for Ph.D course in the respective field.
12th October 2016, 09:28 PM
TLSAAAA
Senior Member+++++

Yes, you are elgibile to appear for entrance examination to get the admission in the Ph.D course after qualifying in the respective entrance examination.

6.5 CGPA out of 10 is not a bad score and canddiates with above 6 CGPA are eligbile to appear for entrance examination to get admission in Ph.D course.

Yes, it is true that you will be not eligible to appear for IIT Delhi etc as the minimum required aggregate for it is 6.75 CGPA but eligible for admission in Ph.D course.
13th October 2016, 12:24 AM
BISWARUPYOGI
Senior Member+++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have got 6.5cgpa out of 10 in my mtech structural engineering.Though I got 72% in my B.E. and 67.25% and 60% in 10th and 12th board exam resectively.So my question is that with that lower cgpa in M.Tech can I get a chance to do my phd?

Nabanita
You have got above 55% marks in M.Tech degree so you are eligible for Ph.D course.

Those candidates who have completed masters degree from a recognized university are eligible for Ph.D entrance exam. General and OBC candidates should hold 55% and above marks in masters degree. For SC/ST candidate its 50% and above in masters degree.

Your age should be below 28 years for JRF post.
13th October 2016, 01:49 AM
ishteaque
Senior Member+++++

You have scored 6.5 out of 10, there is no issue of not being eligible for PhD course as the minimum eligibility criteria in order to opt for the course is that a candidate should have scored a minimum of 55% aggregate in their Masters degree and as you have scored above it, there is no such problem in it, you can very much opt for the course.
Do you have any question? or have anything to say?